Sponsored

2.0 Ecoboost reliability??

Darksider

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Two
The problem that i seen it with direct injection is the long oil intervals also. This added to the increased fuel dilution and you have premature bearing failure. Nothing right away but long enough that you are out of warranty. By this time its not considered premature but usual wear and tear. I wouldnt recommend going above 5k oil changes on any direct injections. Compare this to 7500 max on non direct. But that just my experience with dealing with the bearing failures and what i have seen and read about.
Sponsored

Decayed

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
yes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a car
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Well all engines get a bit of blow by with fuel into the oil. Always been that way. The higher pressure that comes from a direct injection engine I can see that there might be even more. Just don't see how getting a mix of fuel and injection cleaner blow by is any worse than getting just fuel in your oil. Any injection cleaner will be diluted with the fuel by the time it gets into your oil anyways.

Here is one of the biggest problems I see with new car owners: Back in the day the general rule of thumb was to change the oil about every 3k miles. Now on modern cars with synthetic oil and semi-synthetic oil, the recommended oil change intervals are much greater. So here's the problem. Owners that don't know anything about cars are just getting thier oil changed at 5-10k miles as recommended. But they never change the oil in between on thier own. They don't realize that cars use oil in between oil changes. Especially as the mileage gets high. So by the time they get to the dealer to have their oil changed, it could be a qt or more low. I always check my oil level at least once every 2 weeks. Have my oil changed every 5k miles. Sooner if I'm going on a road trip and I know it might go over that when I'm on the trip.
Funny you mention oil usage, a while back I had some serious stuff to deal with and didn't think much about my car for the better part of a year in part because it was still within the specified mileage interval. When I finally thought to check the oil, the dipstick was dry. It was 2 quarts low in a 5 qt system. Since then I noticed that it will go a while with no apparent change then burn a quart. Not sure what the deal is but since then I've been watching it closely.

Krunty

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Maverick Fx4 and 2016 Mazda 6
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Well up until 6 weeks ago my 2017 Escape AWD with the 2.0 has been trouble free. 77,000 km/48,000 miles bought new. Started experiencing an occasional cold start misfire. Lasts 5-8 seconds.
Then, it occurred a few days in a row,, triggered the CEL to illuminate 10 days ago..Took it to the dealer ASAP and set up an appointment for next Tuesday, Nov 2.
Since then Iā€™ve looked into this exact problem. Seems to mimicked what others have had with this engine. Their cause was coolant leaking into a cylinder during a long cool down. Causing a short term misfire until the coolant is burned off, then the engine runs great. Low coolant in the tank is something to look for with no obvious leaks. I have all of this. Iā€™ve re-filled coolant tank twice the last 3 weeks. Also, I now record every cold start with my phone and have marked coolant levels on the tank and dated them. Itā€™s still an occasional occurrence, but I have 3 cold start misfires recorded. Each one shows a plume of white vapour, and the sound of a misfiring engine, and all 3 times that vapour smells of antifreeze. So,,,,I still have 2 months on my factory 5 year power train warranty. I will show the Ford techs my recorded findings and letā€™s see what they find next week.
During my recent research into this engine, Iā€˜ve read that a redesigned block introduced in 2020, to solve this problem. Iā€™ll let you know what they find.
Update~ well I got the news, coolant intrusion into the cylinder, none repairable, new long block ordered, takes 2-4 weeks to get it in. I have less than 2 months left on my factory warranty , that was too close, sucks that this happened but I am so lucky that I wonā€™t be paying the approx $8000 bill.

olderbudwiser

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Lincoln Corsair, 2023 Maverick Lariat Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Update~ well I got the news, coolant intrusion into the cylinder, none repairable, new long block ordered, takes 2-4 weeks to get it in. I have less than 2 months left on my factory warranty , that was too close, sucks that this happened but I am so lucky that I wonā€™t be paying the approx $8000 bill.
Happy that worked in your favor.

TC in MN

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Mav XLT, CG, 2.0, AWD, Lux, tow, 360
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Does anyone know if the 2.0 ecoboost is a reliable engine? I know itā€™s direct injection only so carbon could build up quicker on the injectors. Has anyone had experience with these engines?
There is a lot of good info re this post., I change oil every 3k, use 91 octane and try to keep the revs up. So far, at 50k, the engine runs great.

Sponsored

Geep

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT luxury hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
With this being a known documented problem of this series of Ford engines, I would expect them to honour up until day warranty expires and offer some kind of ā€œgoodwillā€ help for owners just off warranty

Krunty

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Maverick Fx4 and 2016 Mazda 6
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
With this being a known documented problem of this series of Ford engines, I would expect them to honour up until day warranty expires and offer some kind of ā€œgoodwillā€ help for owners just off warranty
Yes, you would think that , but Iā€™ve read on many Ford forums, horror stories of owners of defective 2.0 engined Fords being denied any compensation. Many just past their warranty by a less than 2000 miles.

NH Dan

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Escape S , 95 Jeep YJ , 78 Fairmont 351 C
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Just discovered this from savagegeese on YT. Great explanation on Direct vs Port Injection.

Hi
Thanks for posting the video link, I had a good lunch time diversion, and learned some stuff , I build old stuff and my daily driver is 27 years old. I got my wife to agree to getting a truck after she test drove it and found out we could get heated seats. Of course she picked the cyber orange. I can't wait to drive it. We ordered it 10/18/21 so we have a wait ahead of us.
Thanks again NH Dan

The Weatherman

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Lux FX4 4K x 2
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Just discovered this from savagegeese on YT. Great explanation on Direct vs Port Injection.

Just found your post and video you link. Many thanks for taking the time to share this information I found it very informative and easy to understand. THANKS!

Autonomous

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Dodge Promaster 3500, Icky 2015 Outback
I was looking at adding the Techron complete fuel system cleaner every 3,000 miles. Seems like it got good reviews
I'm a huge fan of Techron. It has cleaned varnish and gum in my outboard motors that brands X, Y and Z could not. Seafoam, RIP, needs to be put out pasture.
That said unless there is some sort of reversion pulling fuel to the back side of the inlet valve I can't imagine an additive (or good gas) cleaning the carbon deposits.

Sponsored

Z_ealot

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan 370Z, Honda Civic, Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I'm a huge fan of Techron. It has cleaned varnish and gum in my outboard motors that brands X, Y and Z could not. Seafoam, RIP, needs to be put out pasture.
That said unless there is some sort of reversion pulling fuel to the back side of the inlet valve I can't imagine an additive (or good gas) cleaning the carbon deposits.
I think this is why it would be a good idea to go with a shorter interval between oil changes on a direct injection engine cause if you think about it, the oil itself has detergents in it and with that same oil getting onto the back side of the intake valves via the pcv system when it still has detergents in it, it will help to keep those valves clean so long as itā€™s not to the point where all the detergents have been used up, personally on a direct injection engine I wouldnā€™t go past 3,000 miles on oil changes and maybe even less than that depending on how severe of use the vehicle has hadā€¦. In the end though the only real way to help prevent carbon buildup on the valves is to have a good oil catch can system and even then it only prolongs (pretty significantly) the inevitable buildup of carbon on the valves

Autonomous

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Dodge Promaster 3500, Icky 2015 Outback
I have not seen any empirical evidence suggesting that short oil changes do anything beyond costing money and wasting recourses.
If a catch can was the answer why did Ford go to the expense of adding port injection to the 3.5 EB, for instance?
I just don't see a way to trick DI.

Z_ealot

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan 370Z, Honda Civic, Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I have not seen any empirical evidence suggesting that short oil changes do anything beyond costing money and wasting recourses.
If a catch can was the answer why did Ford go to the expense of adding port injection to the 3.5 EB, for instance?
I just don't see a way to trick DI.
Most manufacturers donā€™t include a catch can cause most people donā€™t know what they are and that they have to periodically drain them, itā€™s an extra expense and a liability on fordā€™s part if they did as any regular Joe wonā€™t even think about draining them and then when they get full that gunk has more of a chance of getting sucked back into the engine and damaging the engine from the water that is also collected in a catch can

Last edited:

l3536

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kia Carnival '22, Maverick XL Hybrid CG
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The only vehicle with historical record and identical engine (EB 2.0 250HP) is Edge 2019+. According to consumer reports, it's been a very reliable engine.

jewc75

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Z06 12 Mustang 22 Maverick 93 Lightning 19 GTI
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
A catch can and running top tier gasolines decrease carbon buildup. Its a very reliable engine.
Sponsored