150 miles @ 75 mph, 29 mpg. No bueno.

markregel

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda6
After getting 45 and 41 mpg in city driving, a recent trip to corpus cristi at 75 mph yielded 29 mpg.

I expected at least 35. Anyone else see something similar?
Hybrid only help in city driving. On the highway wind and speed make a significant difference. Headwind can easily cost 5 mpg much more if you're bucking 40 mph like l did in south Dakota recently. Slow down to 65 or 70, it makes a lot less difference than people think.
Sponsored

dalola

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Website
sunsetridgecabinhockinghills.com
Vehicle(s)
F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clearly most people do not understand the function of EPA ratings.

Aside from CAFE implications that affect the OEM's, It provides a controlled, CONSISTENT test to allow a fair comparison between makes & models. It has nothing to do with any results based on how you may, or may not drive.

2022EOW

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Focus
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Normal tank for me, filled up today. My "normal" is about 85-90% city driving. Took 12.53 gallons on this fill up.
Ford Maverick 150 miles @ 75 mph, 29 mpg. No bueno. tempImagePMPKLd

jsus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid AWD 😉
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
So OP starts a thread bitching about MPG on the hybrid that does better with in town driving. People comment asking more questions and info to OP. OP never responds in the thread again after initial post. GTFO.
That's how most of these complaint threads go. OP creates a thread, throws a fit. Some rightfully or wrongfully attack OP, some ask helpful clarifying questions under the presumption OP wants help resolving an issue. OP either just attacks everyone, or never returns to the thread. They don't want to fix anything, they just want to complain and expect you to sympathize with them. 🤷‍♂️

SuperA

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022, Ford Maverick Hybird
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I just found the ECO mode and the computer actually reported 58 mpg for a 20 trip. Normally I get upper 40's in mixed driving and low 40's when sustaining speeds of 75-80

Sponsored

Atisko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan rogue
Google or see other threads that describe the fact that energy spent to move against air does not increase linearly as speed increases. And as mentioned above, there is also relative wind speed and air density to account for.
The coefficient of drag increases exponentially! Thus, you will lose drastic mileage increasing speed over 70 !

JBnorthTX

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang, 2013 Honda CRV
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I guess it's a reality check that the highway mileage isn't that great. I recently went on a long trip from Texas to North Carolina in my Mustang GT with 5.0 liter V8. At 75-80 mph I got 24-25 mpg. I can understand how 29 mpg from a 2.5 liter engine seems disappointing.

s.ober

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Prius; 1998 Sienna
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Hybrids get much higher MPG in city then hiway. 75 MPH lowers your MPG. Sounds pretty normal. Not enough details in your post to offer more analysis.
I've driven a total of 285,000 miles on two Prius'. Highway mileage is better than in town most of the time.

22XLThybrid

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT hybrid (order July 21)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I like the second post that was going 80 mph looking for clarification. It's an aerodynamic brick that's high off the ground. Also, I've seen some pretty heavy headwind in Texas. I once had a 60 horsepower VW diesel. I couldn't get going more than 50 miles an hour once I got out behind a truck crossing Texas with a bike rack on top. It's the irony of all of these. Crossover tall brick vehicles in an age where we really should be looking for fuel efficiency. Also, how you drive at that speed can play a big difference. Cruise control running the air conditioner at full blast.

Sponsored

stoptothink

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 VW jetta
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I guess it's a reality check that the highway mileage isn't that great. I recently went on a long trip from Texas to North Carolina in my Mustang GT with 5.0 liter V8. At 75-80 mph I got 24-25 mpg. I can understand how 29 mpg from a 2.5 liter engine seems disappointing.
A mustang is just a tad more aerodynamic than a pickup truck. This entire thread is a very very basic course in physics. Sure, be disappointed that the Maverick doesn't magically lower and change shape as speed increases, but I'm not sure how anybody would be surprised by this.

Spook

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Lariat Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
After 4 years driving a Honda hybrid, I have noticed 2 things about air conditioning and heating.
1. The air conditioner is powered from the battery and not by an engine belt. Therefore, running the air is much cheaper than the belt driven air conditioners.
2. The heat comes from the radiator coolant and needs to have the engine running to heat it up to whatever temperature you have your heater set to.
Since I don't have my Maverick yet, I have to assume that it is basically the same. For those that have their truck, please confirm or correct me.
Basically, what it comes down to is that running the air does not affect the mileage like it used to do in older cars. As for the heat, if you live in a colder climate, your mileage will be lower than someone that lives in a warmer climate because you are running your engine more to make heat.

JBnorthTX

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang, 2013 Honda CRV
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

A mustang is just a tad more aerodynamic than a pickup truck. This entire thread is a very very basic course in physics. Sure, be disappointed that the Maverick doesn't magically lower and change shape as speed increases, but I'm not sure how anybody would be surprised by this.
I'm not surprised by the OP's results. But I'm also not surprised that people might underestimate the ultimate impact of wind resistance or not be up to speed on the disparity between the EPA test and how they actually drive their vehicles.

ckodsi

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Camille
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Lariat Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Going too fast, 42-45mpg is what I am averaging. %80 highway %20 city
Sponsored