First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick & Civic
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Would you use it in your Maverick? The owners manual clearly sates “do not use fuel with more than 15% ethanol”
Considering the fact the 15% is a mathematical average we could be running slightly higher than 15% and not know it.
Sponsored

Last edited:

ShadowBlack XL440

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Non-Ford, not enought room to list..........
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Would you use it in your Maverick? The owners manual clearly sates “do not use fuel with more than 15% ethanol”
Considering the fact the 15% is based on the (R+M)/2 method, we could be running higher than 15% and not know it.
Not me. First I don't like ethanol period let alone 15%. When they are predicting food shortages already then plan to use more of our food and feed source for fuel, that is not smart. Drill baby drill and get the oil pipe lines back on track ASAP.

teh603

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Subaru Outback, '09 Honda Fit
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
My initial guess would be that higher than 15% ethanol would make for corrosion issues over time. Probably due to coating formulations and all that.

That having been said, there's been so much FUD about ethanol that I know people willing to fight an hour's traffic each way just to fill up with ethanol- free gas from one station out in the middle of nowhere, because they're convinced it'll do I have no idea what.

One footnote on "food shortages"- most of them are distribution based, not supply based. We're growing more than enough corn. Then it hits the commodities exchanges and gets traded around until the fat cats think they've made enough profit. Same with the price of oil- it gets churned around the exchange until someone's made enough profit, *then* it hits the refinery. So the price you pay at the supermarket or pump has no actual relation to the price when the oil is pumped or corn is harvested.

projectvortex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
Undecided
Considering the fact the 15% is a mathematical average we could be running slightly higher than 15% and not know it.
I don't want any of that S*** in my truck, but that's not all within my control.

Aherpa

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Edge, Maverick Lariat Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I have used 15% ethanol for decades with no fuel issues. In fact, I'd say I avoided having issues during the winter by using it because ethanol is a fuel dryer. I run it because I have never had an issue with it and because I figure I have already paid for some of it via the tax credit manufacturers receive for producing it.

We used it in our '69 Chevelle, '78 Sapporo, '80 RX7, '83 Caprice, (I don't remember the miles until we sold them). We ran our '89 F150 slant six on it for 165,000 miles, our '97 F150 for 300,000 miles, our 2001 Grand Marquis for 247,000 miles. Our current 2015 Edge and 2012 F150 have 115,000 miles and 117,000 on them respectively and no issues.

Do not run it in your small engines like lawnmowers, tillers, weed whackers, etc.

Huh, by listing my vehicles in chronological order, I can tell about when I got married. . . . .

Sponsored

landscpdesgnr

First Name
liz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford 2022 Mav XLT Lux CP360 & Ford Fusion 2014
As a plant scientist & horticulturalist... ethanol is a pipe dream, unsustainable unless we go all GMO and it is susceptible to uncontrollable weather conditions when agriculture wells all thru the Midwest have been going dry for yrs now. Anytime you turn to a single crop (monoculture) you amplify the problems that crop has. An example is Loropetallum shrubs, if you have ever been to FL you will see these purple, red-ish leave plants. Back in 2000 there were not that many Loro's but as more and more were planted their susceptibility to mites became known. Now every Aug/Sept the problem is a well known issue requiring spraying because the # of Loro's in the environment has increased by millions. Asian longhorn beetle, Dutch elm disease are other ex of how a living crop is decimated by a single change. We can not control our environment sufficiently to guarantee that mass grown crops can be reliable for a fuel source.

If we take away the gas & oil subsidies & fine oil drillers for not using the thousands of permits they already have that they are not utilizing we can gain control over the industry. Right now they see the current environment as ripe for profit and they are not going to use the permits they have till we fine them. They don't need to ruin more land by getting more permits they need to open the ones they have unused. Also the pro self reliance on US oil alone people do t also tell you American oil industry workers are the highest paid in the world, relying on American only oil will be more expensive than what we pay now.

BlackXL

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 F-350, 2 F-250, 4 escape, mustang, bronco
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
As long as you burn it right away and are willing to tolerate the reduced fuel economy, you should be OK. Don't leave it sitting in the tank - it will go rank in three months or less. In less than a year, it will kill an electric fuel pump. Just my experience - your mileage may vary.

GaryHoosier

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Ford Escape, 2022 Ford Maverick 2.0L XLT AWD
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I have used 15% ethanol for decades with no fuel issues. In fact, I'd say I avoided having issues during the winter by using it because ethanol is a fuel dryer. I run it because I have never had an issue with it and because I figure I have already paid for some of it via the tax credit manufacturers receive for producing it.

We used it in our '69 Chevelle, '78 Sapporo, '80 RX7, '83 Caprice, (I don't remember the miles until we sold them). We ran our '89 F150 slant six on it for 165,000 miles, our '97 F150 for 300,000 miles, our 2001 Grand Marquis for 247,000 miles. Our current 2015 Edge and 2012 F150 have 115,000 miles and 117,000 on them respectively and no issues.

Do not run it in your small engines like lawnmowers, tillers, weed whackers, etc.

Huh, by listing my vehicles in chronological order, I can tell about when I got married. . . . .
When news of this boost in ethanol-content broke, I wondered about possible negative effects on performance and on mechanicals.
My research indicates that performance should be largely unaffected.
But I did learn that ethanol can be bad (over the long term) to mechanicals due to its propensity to "draw moisture". This moisture can accumulate (separate-out) in the bottom of the fuel tank, fuel pump, fuel lines, etc. This would be bad for obvious reasons. It also tends to get "gummy".
My takeaway is that, I'd rather not run ANY amount of ethanol in my vehicles...but this isn't realistic.
The best mitigation for ethanol's drawbacks would seem to be:
1) run each thankful through promptly, don't let your vehicle sit for long periods undriven.
2) always run a brand of fuel with 'High Detergent' qualities to keep systems as clean as possible

In short, I'm mildly concerned but not neurotic about it.

Maverickman74

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Bronco, 91 Comanche, 93 ZJ, 80 Eagle, Bicycle
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Not me. First I don't like ethanol period let alone 15%. When they are predicting food shortages already then plan to use more of our food and feed source for fuel, that is not smart. Drill baby drill and get the oil pipe lines back on track ASAP.
Yeah but America is overweight. Should balance things out.

Also doesnt more ethanol mean we can increase the boost. More power baby. Thanks Joe, this sucker is quick!

ShadowBlack XL440

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Non-Ford, not enought room to list..........
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

What makes it bad for small engines only and not automotive engines and fuel systems? I do realize some are made specifically for E85 but why risk pushing the limit of the acceptable 15% for the Maverick? It is very corrosive and which to me is not a benefit.

Sponsored

Vols44

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Edge
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
E-85 prices in my area use to be 20-35 cents per gallon than regular 85. Now the price difference is a nickel. With all the studies coming to conclusions that gas mileage suffers 25% with E-85 I avoided using it until directed by a business I use to work at with flex fuel vehicles.

I totally agree with the previous post regarding small engines. I've used 91 octane on pressure washers, mowers and trimmers (with a oil mixture added) with lots of success. Others I mention this to give me a deer in the headlights look like they've never read the operator's manual.

wyouger

First Name
Williard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Ranger
I do not think Ford is referring to variations in the manufacturing process of E15 fuel mix when they say, “do not use fuel with more than 15% ethanol”

Currently the ethanol fuel blends are available in the US in specific blend ratios. The number after the "E" is the percentage of ethanol in the fuel blend.

E10 - most gasoline sold in the US is E10
E15 - is approved for use in model year 2001 and newer light-duty vehicle
E85 - (or flex fuel), which can be used in flexible fuel vehicles

Blender pumps can distribute other blends such as E25 and E30

I think it is safe to say that Ford does not want us to use a blend that is labeled higher than E15

cyberdog

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Lariat Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'd rather not, lower mileage, shown to corrode some parts quicker (especially aluminum, if memory serves), and horrible for the environment in warm weather. The only real positives are it's renewable, and does absorb water from the tank. Most of your 'dry gas' products are basically ethanol/alcohol.

Personally, I feel he's clueless, lets mandate the higher EPA numbers to reduce greenhouse gasses, and then turn around and proposed E15 year round, after it's been banned during warm weather months for 11 years for environmental conditions. Not only that, it costs nearly as much as gasoline to make a gallon of ethanol, just how does this substantially bring down the cost of a gallon of gasoline?

bombast

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL, Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

The US's farming capacity outstrips food demand by such colossal margins its almost comical. It's arguably one of the reasons we started using ethanol as fuel in the first place - What else are we going to do with all this capacity? We're already the #1 food exporter. How much soy bean can you actually push on the international market before foreign nations start getting really cross with you?

pigsareus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
ethanol lowers gas mileage - any supposed 'savings' with that blend are offset by the decrease in mileage not to mention it can deteriorate engine components. In addition note that the damage occurs when eth if left in an engine for a longer period of time- in that the hybrid gets great mileage - loading up a full tank of 15 percent of eth and doing average of less driving is going to do nothing more than gum things up and cause havoc. Usually the pumps list the eth content - find somewhere where it is notwhere near 15 percent : " MPG. Due to ethanol's lower energy content, FFVs operating on E85 get roughly 15% to 27% fewer miles per gallon than when operating on regular gasoline, depending on the ethanol content. Regular gasoline typically contains about 10% ethanol. Cost. " + Ethanol alcohol is referred to as hygroscopic, which means it absorbs moisture. If ethanol remains in your car's fuel system for an extended period, it draws water from the tank, upsetting your car's fuel mix and gumming up the system. This can cause major damage to more than just your engine.Feb 16, 2016"
Sponsored