Sponsored

Shift SYS Fault - Service Required (Hybrid CVT)

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
Undecided
Just got the same error on mine. I can’t say that it’s heat related because it’s 0 degrees Fahrenheit right now and it hasn’t been driven in 3 days. I now have a parking brake error, shift sys error, and constant deep sleep warnings. It has never died on me but I’m not sure I can trust driving it now. Sticking with the F150 until the dealer can get me in next month.
Hello, Jon! Send us a private message with your VIN and the name and location of your local Ford dealer. I’d be happy to see what I can do to assist with this concern. Thanks!
Sponsored

njbacken

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I also now have a "shift sys fault" error after ~7800 miles and less than one year of ownership. I had a deep sleep warning about a month prior to that, which could have been from not driving for a few days and cold temperatures. West Herr Ford indicated they could not diagnose the problem without pulling the transmission. It has been at the dealership for about a month, which is understandable considering they were moving buildings and the transmission tech had a backlog. The truck suits my needs very well, but this issue and others with the CVT has me concerned.

OP
OP
Oldguy66

Oldguy66

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT Hybrid, Sienna, HR-V
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
My Maverick was built 3/31/22. The cause of my "Shift Sys Fault" error was a bad module inside the CVT transmission. Back in November, Ford decided it would cost less just to replace the whole transmission rather than tear it apart and replace the bad module/s. I have not had any issues since I got the new transmission although my best MPG per tank fill is 34.1 (all highway miles) Since the new transmission I've driven 1,700 miles and averaged 31.7 MPG for all those miles. I've never seen 40 MPG with this Maverick. I was expecting the advertised MPG, so I'm going to trade it in when Dodge or Toyota come out with a similar mini-truck. This hybrid truck is very dangerous, too. When backing up, it lurches bad on an uphill incline. (as it needs more power going from battery to ICE) I almost took out my garage door. Hope I don't kill anyone.....

njbacken

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Interesting timing of build dates here. My Maverick was built on 3/11/2022.

njbacken

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Update on repairs from West Herr Ford. Seems like they had to pull my engine and transmission to fix. They have not been able to explain to me in plain language what the actual problem was...

VERIFY CUSTOMER CONCERN FOUND THE VEHICLE WILL NOT SHIFT INTO DRIVE WITH A FAULT MESSAGE ON THE DASH, CHECK FOR CODES FOUND CODE P07E6 STUCK IN PARK, PERFORM PINPOINT TEST E, E1 RETRIEVE DTC'S, E2 CHECK THE PARK SOLENOID POWER CIRCUIT FOR AN OPEN, FOUND .3 OHMS RESISTANCE, E3 CHECK THE PARK SOLENOID POWER CIRCUIT FOR A SHORT TO GROUND, FOUND INFINITE RESISTANCE, E4 CHECK THE PARK SOLENOID POWER CIRCUIT FOR A SHORT TOGETHER WITH THE POWER CIRCUITS, RESISTANCE IS INFINITE ON ALL PINS, E5 CHECK THE PARK SOLENOID GROUND CIRCUIT FOR AN OPEN, FOUND RESISTANCE OF 0.2 OHMS, E6 CHECK THE PARK SOLENOID GROUND FOR A SHORT TO GROUND, FOUND INFINITE RESISTANCE, E7 CHECK THE PARK SOLENOID GROUND CIRCUIT FOR A SHORT WITH POWER CIRCUITS, FOUND INFINITE RESISTANCE, RECOVER A/C SYSTEM, DRAIN COOLANT, REMOVE SUBFRAME, REMOVE ENGINE AND TRANSMISSION FROM THE VEHICLE, REMOVE TRANSMISSION CASE COVER, E8 CHECK THE TRANSMISSION INTERNAL HARNESS PARK SOLENOID POWER CIRCUIT FOR AN OPEN, FOUND 0.4 OHMS RESISTANCE, E9 CHECK THE TRANSMISSION INTERNAL PARK SOLENOID POWER CIRCUIT FOR A SHORT TO GROUND, FOUND INFINITE RESISTANCE, E10 CHECK THE TRANSMISSION INTERNAL HARNESS PARK SOLENOID POWER CIRCUIT FOR A SHORT TOGETHER WITH THE POWER CIRCUITS, FOUND INFINITE RESISTANCE, E11, CHECK THE TRANSMISSION INTERNAL HARNESS PARK SOLENOID GROUND CIRCUIT FOR AN OPEN, FOUND 0.4 OHMS RESISTANCE, E12 CHECK THE TRANSMISSION INTERNAL HARNESS PARK SOLENOID GROUND FOR A SHORT TO GROUND, FOUND INFINITE RESISTANCE, E13 CHECK THE TRANSMISSION INTERNAL HARNESS PARK SOLENOID GROUND CIRCUIT FOR A SHORT TOGETHER WITH POWER CIRCUITS, FOUND INFINITE RESISTANCE, REPLACE PARK LOCK ACTUATOR, RESEAL AND INSTALL TRANSMISSION CASE COVER, INSTALL ENGINE AND TRANSMISSION IN THE VEHICLE, CHARGE A/C SYSTEM, TOP OFF COOLANT AND TRANSMISSION FLUID, CLEAR DTC'S AND VERIFY REPAIRS, FOUND THE TRANSMISSION IS WORKING PROPERLY

Sponsored

Darnon

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Update on repairs from West Herr Ford. Seems like they had to pull my engine and transmission to fix. They have not been able to explain to me in plain language what the actual problem was...
Looks like everything on the circuit side checked out okay (no shorts, no broken circuits) so they replaced the parking pawl solenoid/actuator which apparently fixed it.

OP
OP
Oldguy66

Oldguy66

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT Hybrid, Sienna, HR-V
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
5/21/2023 "Shift Sys Fault" returns with a vengeance.

8:45pm
Driving south on I-15 through Temecula, a “Service Vehicle Soon” warning showed up on display, I pushed “OK” to clear the message and then “Shift Sys Fault” warning showed up while the gear selector showed a flashing “D”.

8:48pm
Then “Powertrain Malfunction / Reduce Power” warning showed up and the truck started to lose speed. I put the Emergency Flashers on and started to maneuver to the right lane. The truck continued to lose power and the truck kept slowing even though I depressed the accelerator to try to increase speed and keep up with the freeway traffic so I could safely pull off the freeway onto the right shoulder. The gear selector was now flashing “P” even though we were going over 50 MPH. I turned the selector knob clockwise to try to move to “D” fearing that the transmission would self-destruct if it did engage Park. The selector did seem to change to D, still flashing, but I couldn’t say if it stayed there for sure because I was too busy avoiding traffic to get off the freeway.

As I pulled onto the shoulder continuing to slow, the emergency brake engaged while we were still moving at approximately 5 to 10 MPH and the truck skidded abruptly to a stop making grinding noises.

Next I opened the Ford app on my phone to get the truck towed. The app would not respond, it needed an update first, so I updated the app via the Google Play Store and tried again. After filling out the request for tow service, the app responded to try again later, the request could not be processed at this time. (Truck mileage 5,289)

Next I called the help phone number and the system sent me a text message to complete another towing request.

9:15pm
I received a text message that my service request was received.

9:26pm
I received a text message that my service request was escalated and an ETA for service would be sent when they have secured help.

9:28pm
We’re just sitting in the truck on the shoulder of Interstate I-15 in total darkness with the key set to accessories in order to use the interior lights and charge my phone discussing our options when a message came up on the display that the vehicle was shutting down to save the battery power and to start the engine in order to continue using the vehicle accessories. I turned the key full on, the engine did not start but the truck systems turned on. So I decided to see if the transmission would shift into “D” since this was very similar to previous events with this truck. In previous events, after the truck was parked for 20 minutes or so, the parking brake would release and the transmission would function again. The transmission did shift into D and the parking brake released when I hit the switch to do so. I pulled forward a few inches and the truck responded correctly.

We decided to see if we could drive to the next freeway exit and get to a safer location and sent a text to the Ford phone number we were receiving our information. (844) 994-2460 since we had not heard anything from Ford.

The truck accelerated normally to freeway speed so we stayed in the right lane and continued south bound. As we continued driving, the truck seemed to work properly so we decided to continue on until we detected problems or received more warning messages.

10:02pm
As we were driving into our neighborhood, Ford called (520) 770-4732 to advise they were sorry but there was no tow service available at 10pm on Sunday evening. I told them to cancel my towing request since we got the truck to drive and we were almost home. Also, that I would contact my dealer the next day.

10:05pm
Arrived home. Distance from lock-up event, 39 miles. (Mileage 5,328)
No further warning messages coming home.

That’s it… I give up. Time to get rid of this crappy Maverick.

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
Undecided

Driving south on I-15 through Temecula, a “Service Vehicle Soon” warning showed up on display, I pushed “OK” to clear the message and then “Shift Sys Fault” warning showed up while the gear selector showed a flashing “D”.

Then “Powertrain Malfunction / Reduce Power” warning showed up and the truck started to lose speed. I put the Emergency Flashers on and started to maneuver to the right lane. The truck continued to lose power and the truck kept slowing even though I depressed the accelerator to try to increase speed and keep up with the freeway traffic so I could safely pull off the freeway onto the right shoulder. The gear selector was now flashing “P” even though we were going over 50 MPH. I turned the selector knob clockwise to try to move to “D” fearing that the transmission would self-destruct if it did engage Park. The selector did seem to change to D, still flashing, but I couldn’t say if it stayed there for sure because I was too busy avoiding traffic to get off the freeway.

As I pulled onto the shoulder continuing to slow, the emergency brake engaged while we were still moving at approximately 5 to 10 MPH and the truck skidded abruptly to a stop making grinding noises.

Next I opened the Ford app on my phone to get the truck towed. The app would not respond, it needed an update first, so I updated the app via the Google Play Store and tried again. After filling out the request for tow service, the app responded to try again later, the request could not be processed at this time. (Truck mileage 5,289)

Next I called the help phone number and the system sent me a text message to complete another towing request.

I received a text message that my service request was escalated and an ETA for service would be sent when they have secured help.

We’re just sitting in the truck on the shoulder of Interstate I-15 in total darkness with the key set to accessories in order to use the interior lights and charge my phone discussing our options when a message came up on the display that the vehicle was shutting down to save the battery power and to start the engine in order to continue using the vehicle accessories. I turned the key full on, the engine did not start but the truck systems turned on. So I decided to see if the transmission would shift into “D” since this was very similar to previous events with this truck. In previous events, after the truck was parked for 20 minutes or so, the parking brake would release and the transmission would function again. The transmission did shift into D and the parking brake released when I hit the switch to do so. I pulled forward a few inches and the truck responded correctly.

We decided to see if we could drive to the next freeway exit and get to a safer location and sent a text to the Ford phone number we were receiving our information. (844) 994-2460 since we had not heard anything from Ford.

The truck accelerated normally to freeway speed so we stayed in the right lane and continued south bound. As we continued driving, the truck seemed to work properly so we decided to continue on until we detected problems or received more warning messages.

As we were driving into our neighborhood, Ford called (520) 770-4732 to advise they were sorry but there was no tow service available at 10pm on Sunday evening. I told them to cancel my towing request since we got the truck to drive and we were almost home. Also, that I would contact my dealer the next day.

Hi there, I'd be happy to look into your Maverick concerns on my end. Will you send us a message with your VIN and dealership info? I can look into things on my end.

Sage23

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

We have a 2023 Hybrid Maverick Lariat, with 1500 miles on it. A couple of days ago, we had dinner and got back in the truck and it had error code: shift system fault. It was stuck in park and the parking brake could not be released.
I saw that you’ve had this happen several times, did you ever need a tow? If so, were you able to release your parking brake?

Last edited:

A Sturdy Beast

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Lucky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mav XL Hybrid, Iconic Silver
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

That is some rough luck and must be a bitter disappointment. I would just about bet that the poor gas mileage and breakdowns are somehow related with a common cause.

Sponsored

vap0rtranz

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Mav Hybrid XLT, '17 Chevy Colo Z71 diesel
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
My Maverick was built 3/31/22.
My Hybrid was also built in 3/22. Currently at 22k miles. Never had issues getting in or out of park.

If a complete CVT replacement doesn't fix the issue, then it smells like faulty wiring. Faulty wiring harness could be anywhere in these new vehicles. Not many dealers want to spend tech labor hours tracing circuits to find out.

Ditching the Maverick and getting another new vehicle won't get away from car computers crippled by wiring faults. We'd have to drive classic cars from the 70s or older to get away from electronics. A guy the next town over drove his beautiful '56 Chevy just the other day, and that car must have wires that only light lamps and such, hah!

Techs must become licensed electricians to know what's going on, but there's probably not many gear heads who'd sign up for that added skill. (I saw some gear hears on another forum debating strators and rotors and wondered how many had taken an electric motor apart.)

OP
OP
Oldguy66

Oldguy66

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT Hybrid, Sienna, HR-V
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
We have a 2023 Hybrid Maverick Lariat, with 1500 miles on it. A couple of days ago, we had dinner and got back in the truck and it had error code: shift system fault. It was stuck in park and the parking brake could not be released.
I saw that you’ve had this happen several times, did you ever need a tow? If so, were you able to release your parking brake?
My 2022 Hybrid did that eleven times over three months with increasing frequency. I'd go to the store, come out and it wouldn't go. The parking brake would not release and it would not shift out of Park. After 20-45min, it would reset and I could drive home. This last time it happend while I was driving on the Freeway at 70mph along with some other faults. Ford couldn't find a tow for us and after waiting 45min on the side of the Freeway we gave it a try and it reset and unlocked. We made it home but it was a white knuckle ride. I'm still waiting to hear from my Dealer as to what's wrong. Also, my friend's son has a Maverick Hybrid and he got in the other day and the "Shift Sys Fault" locked up his transmission. He had it towed to the Dealer - they cleared the fault and proclaimed it fixed. I'm very skeptical. Good luck with your Lariat. I hope it was just a one time glitch.

OP
OP
Oldguy66

Oldguy66

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT Hybrid, Sienna, HR-V
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
My Hybrid was also built in 3/22. Currently at 22k miles. Never had issues getting in or out of park.

If a complete CVT replacement doesn't fix the issue, then it smells like faulty wiring. Faulty wiring harness could be anywhere in these new vehicles. Not many dealers want to spend tech labor hours tracing circuits to find out.

Ditching the Maverick and getting another new vehicle won't get away from car computers crippled by wiring faults. We'd have to drive classic cars from the 70s or older to get away from electronics. A guy the next town over drove his beautiful '56 Chevy just the other day, and that car must have wires that only light lamps and such, hah!

Techs must become licensed electricians to know what's going on, but there's probably not many gear heads who'd sign up for that added skill. (I saw some gear hears on another forum debating strators and rotors and wondered how many had taken an electric motor apart.)
I agree, wish I had my old '67 Firebird although I'd have to add air conditioning. Glad your Maverick is dependable.

OP
OP
Oldguy66

Oldguy66

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT Hybrid, Sienna, HR-V
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

Here’s the repair report - - Solution was to replace the Transmission Wiring Harness.

Five (5) Faults occurred within 2 minutes 44 seconds while driving on the freeway.

Start 1) P26C3 – Internal Control Module Transmission Range Sensor Performance /speed 71.2mph

+17 sec** 2) P271A – Park Pawl Position Sensor ‘A’ Circuit Low /vehicle speed 72.3 mph

+17 sec** 3) P07B5 – Transmission Park Position Sensor/Switch ‘A’ Circuit Performance/Low / 72.3 mph

+30 sec** 4) P07E6 – Stuck in Park /vehicle speed 72 mph !!!

2 min +44 sec** 5) P07E4 – Unable to Engage Park /vehicle speed 0 mph

That’s all for me, I refuse to continue to be a “Ford Test Dummy”, I sold my Maverick.

Best of luck to all of you……
Ford Maverick Shift SYS Fault - Service Required (Hybrid CVT) Post June

Nelsc60

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Nels
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 ford maverick lariat hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Well I am new to the club got my 23 Maverick lariat hybrid a few months ago and have been loving it. I have been reading alot of posts over the last few months but this is my first response to one. Unfortunately it is because I just took my Maverick in with the Shift System Fault as many above and it's very disappointing that I have a new vehicle with less than 1500 miles on it in the shop. It has been there 5 days and still no answers. They claim it should be diagnosed soon. We'll see.
Sponsored