First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Ford Ranger
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Lets discuss. Thoughts, issues, transmission?

I was initially only looking at the geared transmission, but with a 80 mile commute round trip - and the fact that it can tow 2k pounds, I am officially interested.
Sponsored

zeketolliver

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Hyundai Tuscon NLine
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
My biggest question is why/how Ford flipped the script for this vehicle? They broke the mold by charging extra for a gas engine.

Charging more for AWD is nothing new, but paying an extra $1085 for a gas engine is wild to me. Granted, it is a turbo gas engine, but still.

Understand, this pickup looks like it should give me equal mpg to my 2013 honda insight. Being able to upgrade to a roomier cabin, AND add a short truck bed and 3/4 ton pay load, while getting great MPG is still kinda blowing my mind...almost 8 hours on from finding out the base trim XL is a hybrid.

Hammersticks

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
My biggest question is why/how Ford flipped the script for this vehicle? They broke the mold by charging extra for a gas engine.

Charging more for AWD is nothing new, but paying an extra $1085 for a gas engine is wild to me. Granted, it is a turbo gas engine, but still.

Understand, this pickup looks like it should give me equal mpg to my 2013 honda insight. Being able to upgrade to a roomier cabin, AND add a short truck bed and 3/4 ton pay load, while getting great MPG is still kinda blowing my mind...almost 8 hours on from finding out the base trim XL is a hybrid.
Yeah for me I have basically decided to wait for a hybrid AWD option that has higher towing capabilities. The 2000 lb limit is a massive letdown for me. I am also holding out hopes for Sync 4 as well in the future. I am willing to settle for 3 if I can get the AWD Hybrid option with better towing specs.

TylerDurden

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Mercury Marauder & 2002 Ford Explorer
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I wanted AWD or 4x4 available on the base model, and base engine, whatever that turned out to be. Paying 3300 to upgrade both is a lot on a 20k truck. And I think Ford knows it, an article already stated Ford said AWD hybrid will be available in the future if there's demand for it, and how could there not be? I think it was just easier to start with two engines and two drive options for them.

AwHeck

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'm in if they offer the hybrid with AWD. Currently have a Fusion Energi (that has been great) but am moving to a mountain location and AWD is what I need with a bed out back.

Sponsored

FirstOnRaceDay

First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Mercury Grand Marquis LS
Lets discuss. Thoughts, issues, transmission?

I was initially only looking at the geared transmission, but with a 80 mile commute round trip - and the fact that it can tow 2k pounds, I am officially interested.
ECVT is NOT BELT CVT.

An ECVT is simply a planetary gear set (like the vast majority of automatics) but in automatics the planet gears are either moving or not. No in between. In an ECVT the electric motors (hybrid) change the speed of the planet gears giving you various ratios.

vs a traditional CVT is just a fancy golf cart trans

Old Ranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee 2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I'm not getting the make or break importance some people are placing on having hybrid AND AWD AND high payload/towing capacity in a budget vehicle already loaded with nice features and maximum utility. Who else offers that? Seems unrealistic. How many times a year are you going to tow anything more than a light utility trailer on a big box store run? How many horse trailers, U-hauls, camping trailers uses do you have in an average year? Subaru sells lots of symmetrical AWD economy vehicles with minimal towing capability that don't have close to the flexibility of this brand new Trucklett for lots more $ than this entry level hybrid. Are people confusing their "wants" with their actual needs for a vehicle in this price range? There's no perfect vehicle that does everything for everybody and starts at $20k :unsure:

eRock92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Escape SE
Engine
Undecided
I wanted AWD or 4x4 available on the base model, and base engine, whatever that turned out to be. Paying 3300 to upgrade both is a lot on a 20k truck. And I think Ford knows it, an article already stated Ford said AWD hybrid will be available in the future if there's demand for it, and how could there not be? I think it was just easier to start with two engines and two drive options for them.
Yeah, I hope there will be an AWD Hybrid next year. I think if I had to choose, I'd go with the hybrid ONLY because most of my driving would be on pavement. The most off-roading I've done has been a dirt road shortcut I drive on my way home when the highway is packed and driving on the job site; all activities I easily did in my old Focus. I could get a nice Lariat Hybrid for under $30k.

OP
OP

dp4616

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Ford Ranger
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
ECVT is NOT BELT CVT.

An ECVT is simply a planetary gear set (like the vast majority of automatics) but in automatics the planet gears are either moving or not. No in between. In an ECVT the electric motors (hybrid) change the speed of the planet gears giving you various ratios.

Thanks. I started looking into it. Seems pretty neat, and reliable. Only issues I have been able to come across are the early CMAX models 12-14ish.... Also seems that they have a lifetime trans fluid which is cool. Torn between XL 2.0l and XLT 2.5Hybrid, as 2k towing is enough for me.

NDL

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
ECVT is NOT BELT CVT.

That is my only concern about the powertrain; I drive my vehicles into the ground. So is this a traditional automatic, or what? What might be the lifespan of an ECVT?

Sponsored

FirstOnRaceDay

First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Mercury Grand Marquis LS
That is my only concern about the powertrain; I drive my vehicles into the ground. So is this a traditional automatic, or what? What might be the lifespan of an ECVT?
Hybrid ECVT is basically a traditional automatic with the electric hybrid motor controlling the gear changes vs solenoids.
life span should be a very long time. It’s the same system you get in a Prius and those transmission have no issues.

GaMaverick

2.0L EcoBoost
Banned
Banned
First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Ford is confident in the Hybrid components it looks like

Warranty and Maintenance Coverage
The Maverick offers the same standard warranty package of other new Fords, which is fairly basic and offers no complimentary scheduled maintenance program.

• Limited warranty covers 3 years or 36,000 miles
  • Powertrain warranty covers 5 years or 60,000 miles
  • Hybrid component warranty covers 8 years or 100,000 miles
  • No complimentary scheduled maintenance

giddyup

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape, Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
What might be the lifespan of an ECVT?
I know there were some large taxi fleets using basically the same hybrid platform on Escapes. I don't recall the source but remember reading that many of the hybrid taxis had very high mileage, like 200-300K miles+.

oljackfrost

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They're all sold, waiting for Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Hybrid ECVT is basically a traditional automatic with the electric hybrid motor controlling the gear changes vs solenoids.
life span should be a very long time. It’s the same system you get in a Prius and those transmission have no issues.
There are tons of explanation videos on both Toyota and Ford eCVT which are very similar. One thing that is said often in the videos is how simple the transmissions are... simple usually means reliable.

Last edited:

NDL

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Thanks. I started looking into it. Seems pretty neat, and reliable. Only issues I have been able to come across are the early CMAX models 12-14ish.... Also seems that they have a lifetime trans fluid which is cool. Torn between XL 2.0l and XLT 2.5Hybrid, as 2k towing is enough for me.
Not happy about lifetime trans fluid, especially with the thought of towing
Sponsored

Reactions: Doc