First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Honda CR-V, 2019 Kia Sportage
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I've been working in engineering over 20 years, I don't think some of you realize how broken the supply chain is right now. I'm meaning I just got quoted a 10 month lead time on an item that is in stock in the dozens of every county for ever. A diesel generator that is usually 12 week lead time has been on order for 8 months and they quote 18 months till delivery and that's just a wild guess. I can't think of a single item that is less than 3X the lead time it was 2 years ago. Pricing goes up multiple times per year instead of once or twice.

That Ford is even able to produce so many vehicles of a much more complex item than I deal with is amazing.

My 3/14 production date got delayed to 3/28 and I have no clue if that is really going to happen.
Thank you for injecting some sanity to the conversation.
Sponsored

FakeCowboy

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Subaru WRX
I've been working in engineering over 20 years, I don't think some of you realize how broken the supply chain is right now. I'm meaning I just got quoted a 10 month lead time on an item that is in stock in the dozens of every county for ever. A diesel generator that is usually 12 week lead time has been on order for 8 months and they quote 18 months till delivery and that's just a wild guess. I can't think of a single item that is less than 3X the lead time it was 2 years ago. Pricing goes up multiple times per year instead of once or twice.

That Ford is even able to produce so many vehicles of a much more complex item than I deal with is amazing.

My 3/14 production date got delayed to 3/28 and I have no clue if that is really going to happen.
I've been saying the same, I work in large scale project management, to get a lead time of up to a year on some equipment is a pretty regular occurrence for me, most people complaining here have zero clue of how bad the situation is and logistically speaking what it takes to manufacture anything let alone a vehicle.

Naranjita

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
NAH-RON-EE-TAH
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

Yes, this so true. It took me 7 months to get an acoustic windshield for my wife's minivan. And I am still waiting on a glass garage door for a commercial shop that was supposed to be here September 1st. Latest update on that one is May 25th. Things are out of control.

Churaumi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Fiat 500
My hope is by May Ford would have finished scheduling eco boosts as seeing more later October builds and it does not take a rocket scientist to figure out hybrids are more constraint then the chips.

@fordvideoguy can you comment on the below comment.
Yes Eco got a head start but this is the fourth month of building hybrids so even thou they should have been able to build supplies for hybrid specific components while waiting for the EPA approval, hybrid components has to be the #1 constraint for them.
They wouldn't have been ordering hybrid parts and stockpiling them during the wait, that's not how lean manufacturing works. You don't order, store, or make things that aren't actively making products. The suppliers would likewise not be manufacturing parts in anticipation of Ford getting its poop in one sock because they likely operate the same way.

buyacar

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

It's all because we are heavily relied on the factories in other countries, we don't have our own factories.

Sponsored

NJ Pinelands

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevrolet
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Dishwasher stopped draining in January. I rent and the repair is included in my rent. The guy came right out around January 28. Needs some kind of pump. Even though it is probably 15 years-old, the guy said normally he could find one or get one o order within 7 to 10 days. Just came in this week and he will be installing it tomorrow. So basically 8 weeks to get one little part. This stuff must be driving plumbers, electricians, construction guys crazy right now. Well, at least they have their brand new Mavericks to drive from site to site. Oh wait, nevermind..,

Maryd

First Name
Mary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Edge

I completely understand the constraints but the problem for me is that many orders placed after me with the same upgrades have already been scheduled and/or built. That is where the frustration lies.

n0maverick

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Tiguan, 2022 Maverick, 2013 Escape
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I completely understand the constraints but the problem for me is that many orders placed after me with the same upgrades have already been scheduled and/or built. That is where the frustration lies.
Bingo! We all get the constraint issues. That's why we ordered early! Much later orders getting filled first removes all constraint argument. Case closed.

Naranjita

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
NAH-RON-EE-TAH
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Bingo! We all get the constraint issues. That's why we ordered early! Much later orders getting filled first removes all constraint argument. Case closed.
Depends on which later orders you are referring. Constraints is exactly why later ordered EcoBoosts are being built versus earlier Hybrids.

Two major issues going on...constraints and allocations. It doesn't matter if it's one or both affecting someone not getting scheduled. Because if it's either, they will not get scheduled. And after they get scheduled, no guarantee they'll get built as scheduled with the additional part constraints occurring after the fact now.

Case not closed. As it is evolving daily.

Sponsored

2cafn8d

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Monica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1992 Jeep Wrangler, 2022 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Many of us understand constraints. I think the biggest issue is lack of communication. It's also a bit disheartening to identical orders from months after yours get scheduled. The allocation system sucks when it comes to ordered vehicles.

FYI... I'm a production planner for a company that makes EO imaging systems. O-rings on back order forever... Oh you want a holochrome bolt... 7 months. I get it

Last edited:

maverick92

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick, F150 Lightning
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
"The hybrid drivetrain and Lux packages are in very short supply." - Ford

[Ford then proceeds to schedule January 2022 order with Lux package]

n0maverick

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Tiguan, 2022 Maverick, 2013 Escape
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Depends on which later orders you are referring.

major issues going on allocations.
I'm talking about exact builds. I took out the rest of your post and left the reason.

theway-yay-ting

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Honda CR-V, 2019 Kia Sportage
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'm talking about exact builds. I took out the rest of your post and left the reason.
Exact build at exact same dealer? Allocations are a factor, as well.

MichaelG

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Ranger
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Called the Marketing Line .... Got a NEW reason for delay .....
Now I am being told that ALL of the Lux Package is causing delays because each item (electrical) in the Lux Pack requires a separate chip. i.e. heated seats, steering require separate chips. PLUS the spray in bed liner is a delay in itself.
So I was presented this "Option" of dropping the whole LUX Package. While "Might" speed up the build and subsequent delivery.
My response was that I ordered the truck along with the options (Lux Pack + Co Pilot) because these are the items I would prefer to have in my future vehicle. It does not make much sense to me to wait for 8 months and than drop the Lux Package on the hope that it "Might" expedite the process. Who knows tomorrow there might be another "Constraint" item.
I thanked the lady and told her that I will keep my order as is.

I work for an automotive supplier that produces electric steering systems. The lead time for a simple surface mount ceramic capacitor is at least a year in some cases. The supply chain is bonkers.
Sponsored

Last edited: