Sponsored

After how many miles can/would you go full throttle with your hybrid?

Sylvester

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I am approaching 1000 miles with my hybrid but haven't gone full throttle yet. Considering the fact that the gas engine theoretically has only about 600 miles on it, would you wait another 500 miles before to end the break in period? Thoughts?
Sponsored

Old Maverick

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kia Soul, Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I am approaching 1000 miles with my hybrid but haven't gone full throttle yet. Considering the fact that the gas engine theoretically has only about 600 miles on it, would you wait another 500 miles before to end the break in period? Thoughts?
Yes. Wait, for Pete's sake! Yikes!

Spiffster

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fusion Energi
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Wait as long as you like, but I dont think thats really a thing anymore. That 2.5 liter engine has been around for a long while, about as refined as its gonna get, and is damn near bullet proof.

olderbudwiser

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Lincoln Corsair, 2023 Maverick Lariat Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Back in the olden days (points and condenser) with a new car you broke in like you stole it. The guys I knew that babied their car until 2000 miles usually had a slow one.
Me I pulled out of dealer mashed it till the hydraulic lifters started floating. Maybe could have used just an on off switch. :cool:

Not sure it makes a lot of difference, maybe towing near max for a long time.

MLowe05

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Tesla MYP & M3RWD
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Wait as long as you like, but I dont think thats really a thing anymore. That 2.5 liter engine has been around for a long while, about as refined as its gonna get, and is damn near bullet proof.
This.

You guys are way overthinking this. Lots of very high performance vehicles are subjected to WOT new at the factory. It's just not a thing now.

Sponsored

Old Maverick

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kia Soul, Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Yes. Wait, for Pete's sake! Yikes!
My old girlfriend's dad took his new red '59 Buick station wagon out on the road, and opened it up to 120 mph. To "break it in" he said. Imagine seeing that aircraft carrier plowing the road... But that was then.

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Boxster, Yamaha FJ1300, Maverick XL
Just drive it, however you like. It's broke in.

Rob Cactus Gray

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
11 Prius
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
This thread is a once a week thing. Instead of spouting my opinions I will share a professional.

Last edited:
Sponsored

bgillen35

First Name
Brendan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Prius, '19 Indian FTR-S, '20 Mustang EcoBoost
Its a hybrid, so I'm probably never going to floor it... I bought it for fuel efficiency and practicality.

710-oil-614

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Cal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Tremor XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Even after 1k I am not quite to the point where I am going to just blast it open full throttle but a lot depends on how you've broken it in and what you're doing before you go full throttle.

If over the first 1k miles your engine and eCVT have been warmed up when driving and you have progressively increased throttle over the 1k miles you're probably pretty close.

However - before I open an engine up full throttle I change the oil and send it off to Blackstone for a report. A positive report back and knowing I have flushed a lot of the metal shavings that came from engine break in and I feel much more confident at that point.

icegradner

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

If you plan on owning the vehicle for a long time and don't want the thing to eat oil beyond 100k miles, yes wait.

Snax

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
This thread is a once a week thing. Instead of spouting my opinions I will share a professional.
95% of this video doesn't apply to a consumer who just bought a new car. Rather, it's aimed at someone who just built an engine and is starting it for the first time--and therefore needs to do things like prime oil pumps, use a different oil to bed in the rings, use water instead of glycol, etc. Interesting to watch, but not terribly helpful. That said, I suppose that it could be used to support the concept that breaking in a new car isn't necessary because nothing that he recommends can't be accomplished anyway, so why worry.

Personally, I'm sticking with Ford's recommendation. If nothing else, it just means that I'll drive a little more casually for a bit.

19mustang65

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pinti
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Theres never a reason to go WOT in a maverick....
Sponsored