mav47

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick Hybrid, Toyota Highlander Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
While I have been dabbling my P0811 check engine light issue I keep driving the Maverick, and I now have about 2,600 miles on it, just taking it easy. Today I stepped on it again just to test if the check engine light would come on. It didn't trip the check engine light, even though I noticed something that may be related, which I'll add to that P0811 thread.

While doing this brief full-throttle test I noticed that the power gauge on the dash climbed to about 75% power and stayed there!

Now I would expect that when you floor it the power gauge would jump to 100% so that steady 75% reading didn't make sense to me.

Then I pulled off the freeway, got back on the onramp from a dead stop, and while accelerating full-throttle uphill I noted the power gauge initially settling around 55%, and as speed increased it climbed up to 75-80% (at about 80+mph). Then I let off: plenty fast for me. I don't know if it would have made it to 100% flat out.

We also have a Toyota Highlander 3.5 Hybrid, and its power meter indeed will go to maximum when you floor the pedal.

I am wondering what can be considered a normal reading on the power gauge in the Maverick Hybrid at full throttle, and I hope that some owners can report what they see on the power gauge under full-throttle acceleration.

Thanks for any feedback!
Sponsored

Last edited:

WannaMav

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Pure speculation -

There's always gonna be some assist from electric propulsion so unless something is very, very, very wrong the ICE meter shouldn't top out.

clavicus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Lux Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Pure speculation -

There's always gonna be some assist from electric propulsion so unless something is very, very, very wrong the ICE meter shouldn't top out.
The power meter does not distinguish between battery and ICE kw of power, it combines both.

clavicus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Lux Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
While I have been dabbling my P0188 check engine light issue I keep driving the Maverick, and I now have about 2,600 miles on it, just taking it easy. Today I stepped on it again just to test if the check engine light would come on. It didn't trip the check engine light, even though I noticed something that may be related, which I'll add to that P0188 thread.

While doing this brief full-throttle test I noticed that the power gauge on the dash climbed to about 75% power and stayed there!

Now I would expect that when you floor it the power gauge would jump to 100% so that steady 75% reading didn't make sense to me.

Then I pulled off the freeway, got back on the onramp from a dead stop, and while accelerating full-throttle uphill I noted the power gauge initially settling around 55%, and as speed increased it climbed up to 75-80% (at about 80+mph). Then I let off: plenty fast for me. I don't know if it would have made it to 100% flat out.

We also have a Toyota Highlander 3.5 Hybrid, and its power meter indeed will go to maximum when you floor the pedal.

I am wondering what can be considered a normal reading on the power gauge in the Maverick Hybrid at full throttle, and I hope that some owners can report what they see on the power gauge under full-throttle acceleration.

Thanks for any feedback!
Sounds like something is wrong with yours, it should dial up to 100% pretty much immediately if you floor it.

It seems like you answered your own question in your other post? You were getting 100% readings before your error code, now you're getting a limited maximum power? To the dealership!

Sponsored

MakinDoForNow

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
While I have been dabbling my P0188 check engine light issue I keep driving the Maverick, and I now have about 2,600 miles on it, just taking it easy. Today I stepped on it again just to test if the check engine light would come on. It didn't trip the check engine light, even though I noticed something that may be related, which I'll add to that P0188 thread.

Thanks for any feedback!
I don't know how 100% power is defined. If it is max output of ice+ elec drive motor = 100% (how is output of generator/starter motor considered?). Also I believe that at some output rpm of the electric drive motor will have to drop out because of battery doc and a portion of ice being used to recharge battery. Just need to know how they are allocating (😂😂😂!!!) Power! You may get a larger percentage if power gauge is propulsion only and you turn off HVAC and lights since they may not be accounted for by the meter and then propulsion could have more. ????

OP
OP
mav47

mav47

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Sounds like something is wrong with yours, it should dial up to 100% pretty much immediately if you floor it.

It seems like you answered your own question in your other post? You were getting 100% readings before your error code, now you're getting a limited maximum power? To the dealership!

Well, I never saw 100% before as I never really paid attention to it. I just noticed that I was limited to 70-75% with the P0811 check engine light on. This light goes away after a few stop/starts and I try not to trip it so I drive it like I did my Prius: easy! And I only see 30-50% max on the power meter.

It now appears that 75% power limit is always there on my truck anywhere up to 75mph, and mine slowly makes it past 80% as you're crossing 80mph.

As some other poster said and as I too understand it: the power meter should not differentiate between ICE and electric drive. In my mind, that means 100% when you floor the thing, irrespective of speed.

I'm hoping that a few Hybrid owners will report back on this thread with what they see under full-throttle acceleration. That will be a good indication.

Last edited:

OhioMike

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Genesis G80
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Engines produce maximum power at a specific RPM. If the transmission isn’t allowing the engine to operate at that RPM, the engine won’t be at max power.

BlackXL

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 F-350, 2 F-250, 4 escape, mustang, bronco
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Well, I never saw 100% before as I never really paid attention to it. I just noticed that I was limited to 70-75% with the P0188 check engine light on. This light goes away after a few stop/starts and I try not to trip it so I drive it like I did my Prius: easy! And I only see 30-50% max on the power meter.

It now appears that 75% power limit is always there on my truck anywhere up to 75mph, and mine slowly makes it past 80% as you're crossing 80mph.

As some other poster said and as I too understand it: the power meter should not differentiate between ICE and electric drive. In my mind, that means 100% when you floor the thing, irrespective of speed.

I'm hoping that a few Hybrid owners will report back on this thread with what they see under full-throttle acceleration. That will be a good indication.
I saw 100% against a 70 mph headwind with my foot on the floor at 80 mph on the interstate. (In eco mode) Seems like in sport mode it would do it at will, but the last time I had it there was back in January. Do hybrid Mavericks have fuel temp sensors?

P0188 code means: The fuel temperature sensor identifies the presence of contamination, such as water, ethanol, or dirt. It also measures the fuel temperature inside the fuel tank to make sure the temperature of the fuel remains within the appropriate range.

OP
OP
mav47

mav47

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I saw 100% against a 70 mph headwind with my foot on the floor at 80 mph on the interstate. (In eco mode) Seems like in sport mode it would do it at will, but the last time I had it there was back in January. Do hybrid Mavericks have fuel temp sensors?

P0188 code means: The fuel temperature sensor identifies the presence of contamination, such as water, ethanol, or dirt. It also measures the fuel temperature inside the fuel tank to make sure the temperature of the fuel remains within the appropriate range.
My bad: the code is actually P0811. Oops! I edited my post to fix it.

Sponsored
OP
OP
mav47

mav47

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
What drive mode were you in? That may have an impact as well.
I tried "Normal", "Eco" and "Sport" with the same result: it maxes out at around 75%

Last edited:

fbov

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Escape Hybrid
The power meter does not distinguish between battery and ICE kw of power, it combines both.
True, but there's a third path that's not shown in my Escape Hybrid's power meter... generated power.

The traction motor is capable of far more power than the HVB's inverter can provide, while at low RPM, ICE gearing is bad for traction, but good for generating. This path, ICE-to-AC, may not show in the power meter. I see a power "hole" at low speed.

OP
OP
mav47

mav47

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
In closing out this thread from my side:

It turns out that my truck was reducing maximum engine power because the clutch assembly between ICE and HF45 transaxle was slipping. This issue resolved itself once the clutch bedded itself in, and I now have 100% driveline power available the moment I apply full throttle.

Here's the thread that explains the issue in more detail:

https://www.mavericktruckclub.com/forum/threads/2-5-hybrid-p0811-code-obd2.13063/page-2

RyanP

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mav
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Funny, I had the same code P0811 at 1500 miles or so and dealer did a reset. They did suggest that clutch could of slipped and was still breaking in too. Very odd.... @ 4200 now no return.

I will double check 100% power, but pretty sure mine doesn't cap out at 75%

OP
OP
mav47

mav47

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
3,800 miles update:

It looks like the clutch slippage problem and with that, the capped available power issue is gone. Just to be sure I did another full-throttle acceleration run this morning, with no noticeable slippage, available power instantly maxes out at 100% and stays there.

All is well!

I'll update the P0811 issue thread as well.
Sponsored