First Name
T
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I will probably replace the stock aircraft cable with metal bars with a hinged pivot points in the middle.
You would possibly need two sets of bars to maintain the two position tailgate. I guess depending on how you attach the bars.
Sponsored

jcsan18

First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
I loaded 10 1x12x6 pieces into the bed with the tailgate down and didnā€™t notice any issues. Maybe I misspoke when I said that it isnā€™t level.

Either wayā€¦ā€¦. Iā€™m not losing sleep over it.

OP
OP

kw86er

First Name
KW86ER
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2L XLT FX4
I loaded 10 1x12x6 pieces into the bed with the tailgate down and didnā€™t notice any issues. Maybe I misspoke when I said that it isnā€™t level.

Either wayā€¦ā€¦. Iā€™m not losing sleep over it.
It might not be on every truck, I just saw it in pictures and had to check.

OP
OP

kw86er

First Name
KW86ER
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2L XLT FX4

Darnon

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
You would possibly need two sets of bars to maintain the two position tailgate. I guess depending on how you attach the bars.
There's actually 3 positions. You can attach to the latch pin, hook beneath the cable pin, and that sets the tailgate at a higher angle that's slightly above the higher set of horizontal pockets in the bed.

As Tim Bartz demonstrates @ 8m15s

Sponsored

OP
OP

kw86er

First Name
KW86ER
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2L XLT FX4
Nope, no drilling! These are clever. I hope they get back to me as I want a set for both positions regardless if Ford fixes cables.

OP
OP

kw86er

First Name
KW86ER
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2L XLT FX4
There's actually 3 positions. You can attach to the latch pin, hook beneath the cable pin, and that sets the tailgate at a higher angle that's slightly above the higher set of horizontal pockets in the bed.

As Tim Bartz demonstrates @ 8m15s
Haha we must have been posting at the same time! Edit: Oh I thought you found the same thing

ITSATRUCK

First Name
TIM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MAVERICK
This is the best thread ever. I really want an answer for this. Curiosity!

OP
OP

kw86er

First Name
KW86ER
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2L XLT FX4
Funny when I google the problem without filtering for Maverick specific topics you get issues with cables being too short mostly, so that blows the whole "taking the weight of the gate argument". Maybe cable companies can't read drawings?

OP
OP

kw86er

First Name
KW86ER
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2L XLT FX4
Now that I think of it you should only need to make 1 bar length and use it in place of the cable in the same fashion. But you would want to replace the cable for every day use. To change it out you would need the appropriate wrench handy as well with some time to spare. But it is a back up plan.

Sponsored

2022EOW

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Focus
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Wow, really? I better cancel mine. šŸ¤¦šŸ¼

Salmonator

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Harley Lowrider
I noticed in some videos that the cables are not always the exact same length (or the maybe it's the latch pins don't line up). Can't remember the video now, but they connected both cables to the latch pins and there looked to be slack on the left cable. Makes me wonder if some cables were manufactured at different lengths (or maybe the latch pins holes were drilled slightly misaligned)?

Regarding the tailgate hanging low - Is this the end of the world? no. Am I canceling my order? No. Is it a bit disappointing? yes. This whole flexbed system is a major selling point, the engineering behind it is impressive and a manufacturing mistake kinda puts a damper on that.

Now, does the Hyundai Santa Cruz have this issue, I wonder?

Wizard

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Russell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 cactus grey Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Are you all high AF? Or is this your first truck? Although it would ease the loading of objects, no truck in modern history has a tailgate intentionally lower or on intersecting planes.

Letā€™s just hope they get it fixed before mine gets built in the next 3-300 months. šŸ˜‚
Things like this make me feel a little better about having to wait to get my truck cause I ordered on 11-15 and probably won't see it till early summer best case scenario and all the defects will be ironed out hopefully.

Edge Haley

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Edge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PORSCHE
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I have always hauled a lot of plywood, paneling, sheets and I'm glad the tail gate is slightly higher. If you load 6 sheet of 1/2" ply the Maverick will dip an inch or more from the weight putting the tailgate probably level. I have a suspicion the tail gate is like it is on purpose....to keep material from sliding out.

Sjbuck2021

Banned
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Frontier /2018 Acura RDX
My gripe is if they can't get this simple thing right what else is screwed up.
Sponsored