OP

kw86er

First Name
KW86ER
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2L XLT FX4
Same issue with my XL I just picked up second week of December. I don't like the saggy tailgate at all. I'm hoping Ford makes proper cables as a recall.
I'm not holding my breath. If it bugs enough people someone will see a need and fill it.
Sponsored

Bmckenz

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Brendan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat 2.0 AWD
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
True, the fact that people feel the need to chime in just to say that they don't care or that I am nit picking or over reacting is a sign that our society is obsessed with internet fighting. I was just putting this out there to find solutions to a limitation with the way this truck functions. I use it to haul material, i have owned a lot of trucks and expect a tailgate to function a certain way. There is no need to comment if people are not interested in solving the issue or think it is not an issue.
I have noticed the same issue with mine. Reported to dealer, they are unaware of it since they have only seen one or two mavericks. They did notice however the tailgate cables are different lengths than each other, making one cable slack and one tight. They re-ordered a cable to replace it, but it’s at least a complaint in Fords books of tailgate cable issues.

Stimpy433

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mavrick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Colorado forum, they had an issue with cables being different lengths and the tailgate sitting high. In short chev did nothing to resolve it. So I would say that best case is that future cables will be corrected and we may be able to buy them.

https://www.coloradofans.com/threads/tailgate-not-level.396233/
Ram trucks had the same complaint, it pretty common on all trucks…. Ford isn’t going to do a thing about it.

Mllombardi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XL
Engine
Undecided
True, the fact that people feel the need to chime in just to say that they don't care or that I am nit picking or over reacting is a sign that our society is obsessed with internet fighting. I was just putting this out there to find solutions to a limitation with the way this truck functions. I use it to haul material, i have owned a lot of trucks and expect a tailgate to function a certain way. There is no need to comment if people are not interested in solving the issue or think it is not an issue.
I do have a solution. If I relied on it matching in height as you do, I would seek out a marina that does crimped cables and have them either adjust the length or insert a turnbuckle so that I would be happy.
I can hear you already saying that you shouldn’t have to do that and I understand. But you may be in a place where it’s important to you to be accurate while many would have just put in a spacer like a piece of foam board and never thought more about it.
I wasn’t commenting on your post to be honest. I was commenting on how this issue was spiraling.

OP
OP

kw86er

First Name
KW86ER
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2L XLT FX4
I do have a solution. If I relied on it matching in height as you do, I would seek out a marina that does crimped cables and have them either adjust the length or insert a turnbuckle so that I would be happy.
I can hear you already saying that you shouldn’t have to do that and I understand. But you may be in a place where it’s important to you to be accurate while many would have just put in a spacer like a piece of foam board and never thought more about it.
I wasn’t commenting on your post to be honest. I was commenting on how this issue was spiraling.
That could be an option. Without new ends they cant shorten the existing cable but maybe a turnbuckle. Thanks.

Sponsored

Bbot

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape SEL
I did notice that when I got mine, but….. 🤷🏻‍♂️ idk what to do about it, so it is what it is.
Not a big deal but I’ve never seen this issue anywhere either. Have to ask……how effing difficult is it to make a truck with a level tailgate? A true engineering feat! Hope this type of attention to detail is not reflected elsewhere on something really important like, say, the powertrain or the airbags or………
Nit Pic!

Bbot

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape SEL
Is there a chance this was done intentionally? Getting into a tailgate/sitting on a tailgate with a slight lean angle is easier. I noticed it on mine as well, but it was actually easier for me to load the dirtbike in the back with this slight adjustment. Just a thought
If left down a slight angle will prevent water from accumulating.

bgillen35

First Name
Brendan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Prius, '19 Indian FTR-S, '20 Mustang EcoBoost
I'm assuming the tailgate damper was engineered to have extra play so that when the tailgate is opened, the weight is resting on the cables, but I wonder how much tolerance it has. If you install the damper and the cables are lose, then you have a problem. Otherwise I don't think this is that big of an issue.

Sponsored
OP
OP

kw86er

First Name
KW86ER
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2L XLT FX4
what bothers me more than the fact it might not be level is the fact that some people are saying the cables arent the same length... super annoying.
Mine seam slightly different. If anybody is having this issue they should try swapping them and see if it is the same side that sags or opposite. I could be that some of the fasteners are slightly out as well. Unless this is drastic I would say it's less of an issue.

OP
OP

kw86er

First Name
KW86ER
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2L XLT FX4
Mine seam slightly different. If anybody is having this issue they should try swapping them and see if it is the same side that sags or opposite. I could be that some of the fasteners are slightly out as well. Unless this is drastic I would say it's less of an issue.
Just get two heavy people to sit on the tailgate and see if the slack comes out. There is a surprising amount of flex in the tailgate. I have seen this on other trucks.

OP
OP

kw86er

First Name
KW86ER
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2L XLT FX4
You are right that it should be level within reason and maybe Ford needs to reevaluate the tolerance on cable length now that they know people rely on it.
No offense. Really.
Ford makes trucks and they are wholly focussed on this market its not a mater of "now they know", they know how a truck is used. It is an error and maybe they don't think it needs to be fixed. I will figure out a fix either way. No offense taken, you are right.

samesea2012

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'm more interested in hearing the reasoning/engineering concept behind it if it exists. Purely curiosity on my part :D
same now i really want to know if its meant to be level or an oversight
Sponsored