Sponsored

You can use 87 octane ...but should you?

wardamntexas

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AWD, 4K, Area 51
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
It's not buildup on the pistons it's the valves. Gas in direct injection engines doesn't pass by the valves like it used to so they booger up.
That's true and it's something all automakers, not just Ford, have had big problems with. Imo at this point most everybody has figured out how to deal with it but i get being concerned. That said, it doesn't have anything to do with knock.
Sponsored

flashfearless

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Mav Lariat Hybrid,2014 Ford Edge Limited
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I used to work in an engine lab that did regular fuel testing work including a bunch on the original 3.5EB, and did crankcase lubricant certification tests for the chemical companies selling blends to the companies who put jugs of oil on shelves. Full disclosure I didn't watch the video and don't plan to lol.
That said I got some points that come up all the time.

1: buy a quality API certified full synthetic and change it at the interval recommended by the manufacturer of your engine, you'll be fine.

2: Gasoline quality does vary a lot across manufacturers. Look for Top Tier certification. Exxon, Shell, BP, Mobil all have this, so does Costco which is often the cheapest. Grocery store gas sucks.
3: there's nothing inherently cleaner about higher octane fuel. Premium gas usually has more of the detergent agents in it than regular but again, varies by pump. Walmart 93 is gonna be dirtier than Shell 87.

Ultimately as long as you don't fill up at the grocery store every time, you'll be okay. Running the quality gas most or even just some of the time or, if you're real worried the occasional bottle of fuel system cleaner, will keep your engine clean.

Driven oil is *not* API certified because it contains too much zinc which *will* shorten the life of your catalytic converter.
What do you know about the gas served at a WaWa?

gte105u

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Maverick Lariat, '17 Rogue SL, '14 Altima SV
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Is there a website that speaks to quality of fuel from different sources? I completely believe that grocery store gas is in general lesser. There is a big variable there with regional sources, surely that is not 100% universal. Would love to see if here in Texas the gas from HEB or Bucees is as bad as say Walmart.

Jmav2152

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22' Mav, 15' KTM 1190 ADV R, 19' Husq TE250i
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Is there a website that speaks to quality of fuel from different sources? I completely believe that grocery store gas is in general lesser. There is a big variable there with regional sources, surely that is not 100% universal. Would love to see if here in Texas the gas from HEB or Bucees is as bad as say Walmart.
Everything from Buccees is golden and perfect! Don't you dare slander them!!!

TheSEARCH

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Why would you worry about a non issue as carbon build up. Are you guys trying to break a world record on how many miles you can put on an engine. I used to have the link on gas octane and mileage I believe it was car&Driver did a test They used 87 then mid grad and 93 octane , Yes MPG did go up with high octane BUT not enough difference to make up for the added cost of the higher octane gas. Do you NEED the slightly more power for towing, I rather doubt it.

I have seen the gas trucks that deliver the gas and are often all the same brand for many stations. No idea about grocery gas . NOCO is a big supplier where i am at.

Sponsored

MakinDoForNow

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Everything from Buccees is golden and perfect! Don't you dare slander them!!!
Plus you can get jerky at Buccees and I saw on TV, so it must be true that you can stave off dementia by chewing on it.

gte105u

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Maverick Lariat, '17 Rogue SL, '14 Altima SV
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Plus you can get jerky at Buccees and I saw on TV, so it must be true that you can stave off dementia by chewing on it.
Not many places you can get Costa sunglasses, wall art, beer, a Halloween costume, smoked cheese, and gas all in one stop...

CSmith

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
CJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT FX4, 2020 F150 XLT FX4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Top tier gas is found everywhere. Not all stations have it and, surprisingly, Sam's Club gas isn't listed because they do not reveal their provider. One week it could be top tier and next trash.

Top Tier Gas Brands

Buccee's isn't :(

Bob The Builder

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Butch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Cherokee ** 2023 Mav FX/4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
A number of years ago I worked on a large electrical project at a Mobil Oil bulk plant in Burlington VT on Lake Champlain. The gas & oil came up on barges thru NYC. The guys that worked there told me the gas was sold at one time or another to all the stations in the area, Citgo, Getty, etc. Also anyone remember TCP aka Tiger Piss? It was an additive Mobil added to their gas at the bulk plant before shipping it out. The machine, when it wasn't out of that additive was broke down so most of the time, no tiger piss in the gas but everyone buying Mobil gas thought so. LOL.

Moral of the story, do we ever know what we are getting when we put that nozzle in our rig? :ROFLMAO:

rlhdweman

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
64 Caddy Fleetwood,73 Caddy Sedan,75 Eldorado Conv
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I can tell the difference between regular & premium without ethanol by smell, & can also tell if it has ethanol or not, I check regularly & especially if I am out of my regular fill up area. I'm sure people think I'm a bit strange when they see me sniffing the nozzle, if they say something I just point to the kid in the SUV next to me that is licking the windows!

Sponsored

ClemsonU88

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick; 2022 Ford Bronco Sport
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Top tier gas is found everywhere. Not all stations have it and, surprisingly, Sam's Club gas isn't listed because they do not reveal their provider. One week it could be top tier and next trash.

Top Tier Gas Brands

Buccee's isn't :(
Buc-ee's is incredible! I've only been to a few, but they're impressive. Got some of the jerky. Also got a couple of their cookies and a bbq sandwhich. The sandwich and jerky were ok; the cookies were awesome!

It's the perfect stop for a long trip. It has something for everyone and just about anything you might need if you're on a trip.

ClemsonU88

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick; 2022 Ford Bronco Sport
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I was getting gas from Speedways for years but decided to try a 76 station to see if the gas was any better. My 2010 Camry went from 24mpg to 25mpg. Not a huge difference, but it was a consistent difference.

For a 14 gallon tank, you're getting an extra 14 miles (roughly an extra half gallon's worth). A half a gallon is about $1.75 these days. That's about the difference between 14 gallons at Speedway and 13.5 gallons at 76. It's about the same price, AND you get "better" gas...sign me up.

Your results may vary, but it's worth looking into.

CSmith

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
CJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT FX4, 2020 F150 XLT FX4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Buc-ee's is incredible! I've only been to a few, but they're impressive. Got some of the jerky. Also got a couple of their cookies and a bbq sandwhich. The sandwich and jerky were ok; the cookies were awesome!

It's the perfect stop for a long trip. It has something for everyone and just about anything you might need if you're on a trip.
Buccee's is a great travel stop of just a place to grab a snack after work or a game but it don't sell that Top Tier gas, unfortunately.

Mavonorder

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Camry
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

Thanks for the link...90% of my fill ups are at Meijer or costco which both make the list.
Sponsored