Sponsored

Octane vs MPG, 87 vs 93, anyone compared?

greenweever

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Peterbuilt
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Has anyone compared their mpg running 87 verses 93? I'm curious if there is a gain and if so is it enough to overcome the price difference.
Sponsored

Deerslayer1980

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick AWD
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
It's worth about 10HP and maybe 1 mpg.

S. fisher

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 2500 HD, 15 Santa Fe, 94 XJ
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Has anyone compared their mpg running 87 verses 93? I'm curious if there is a gain and if so is it enough to overcome the price difference.
For daily driving, the 20¢ per gallon difference isn’t worth it.
Most modern engines run just fine on 87 octane, you start to see a benefit with octane on higher output engines. Primarily in a track setting.

LM42

2.0L EcoBoost
Banned
Banned
First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT FX4 EB
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
It's worth about 10HP and maybe 1 mpg.
What crystal ball and gypsy woman did you consult to determine this? On the average car with no other changes, changing octane make approximately ZERO difference in HP. Or, are you just trolling this dude and me? LOL

PlantMan

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F-250 4WD crew 8' bed; 2022 Maverick XL AWD
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Actually with electronic engine control, when the engine adapts to lower octane gas, performance is affected. Somewhere Ford published horsepower numbers for the 2.0L Ecoboost on 87 and 93 octane. Results were 236 and 250 hp if I recall correctly. If the ECU kept everything the same, then octane shouldn't make any difference. Retarding ignition timing an additional 10 degrees makes a difference.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Scupking

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
What crystal ball and gypsy woman did you consult to determine this? On the average car with no other changes, changing octane make approximately ZERO difference in HP. Or, are you just trolling this dude and me? LOL
That’s not true. For example the “Mazda CX-9 engine produces 227 horsepower and 310 pound-feet of torque on standard gasoline. Using premium fuel increases horsepower to 250 hp”. Premium fuel makes a bigger difference on turbo engines.

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I an a hybrid engine it does nothing for you.

In a turbocharged engine it can help you in very heavy load conditions and wide open throttle conditions.

Also this is one of the most commonly asked questions and one of the most commonly done experiments.

LM42

2.0L EcoBoost
Banned
Banned
First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT FX4 EB
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
That’s not true. For example the “Mazda CX-9 engine produces 227 horsepower and 310 pound-feet of torque on standard gasoline. Using premium fuel increases horsepower to 250 hp”. Premium fuel makes a bigger difference on turbo engines.
That is not arbitrarily true. Octane is a measure of a fuels resistance to detonation. Some cars may make more peak power with a fuel change, others lose power. Here is a single article that tests on 4 cars and is pretty good information. It also shows that sometimes the power increase doesn't come close to matching the increase in cost.

https://www.caranddriver.com/features/a28565486/honda-cr-v-vs-bmw-m5-ford-f-150-dodge-charger/

Zotman

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat Lux Hybrid, Focus
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Since original query was mpg difference, I have never seen a claim that higher octane fuel was cost effective…but feel free to enlighten me.

PlantMan

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F-250 4WD crew 8' bed; 2022 Maverick XL AWD
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Since original query was mpg difference, I have never seen a claim that higher octane fuel was cost effective…but feel free to enlighten me.
Isn't that the truth. Some of my local gas stations charge $0.90 to $1.00 extra per gallon for 93 octane. I'm sure glad I don't own a vehicle that requires the higher octane. To just break even, an EB Maverick would have to gain something like 8-10 mpg at those prices.

Sponsored

Deerslayer1980

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick AWD
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

I used a dragy unit and picked up over .1 0-60, the 1/8 and 1/4 mile which is equivalent to 10hp. Plenty of info on ecoboost motors picking up 10 hp/tq. I gained 1-1.5 mpg based off off of an average of about 400 miles from tank to tank.

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Well, MOST gas stations make this claim.
But I agree with the road warriors out there actually doing the driving. Octane alone is not a MPG booster.

The data gets muddied by the fact once in a while, in some markets, "Premium" fuel is ethanol free and "regular" is 10% ethanol.

It is the change in ethanol, not the change in octane that boosts MPG.

LM42

2.0L EcoBoost
Banned
Banned
First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT FX4 EB
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I used a dragy unit and picked up over .1 0-60, the 1/8 and 1/4 mile which is equivalent to 10hp. Plenty of info on ecoboost motors picking up 10 hp/tq. I gained 1-1.5 mpg based off off of an average of about 400 miles from tank to tank.
I would be curious at some point to test myself. But a .1 drop in 0-60 OR 10hp is negligible to me, and to most drivers. Again, depending on local fuel costs the increase in fuel cost is not likely to pencil out in terms of the gain in mileage. Read the article I posted. Also, you are describing a potential of 10 PEAK hp. What is the increase at a 2K RPM cruise where everyone drives their truck?

Deerslayer1980

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick AWD
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I would be curious at some point to test myself. But a .1 drop in 0-60 OR 10hp is negligible to me, and to most drivers. Again, depending on local fuel costs the increase in fuel cost is not likely to pencil out in terms of the gain in mileage. Read the article I posted. Also, you are describing a potential of 10 PEAK hp. What is the increase at a 2K RPM cruise where everyone drives their truck?
I have no idea and I could care less.

GTBuzz

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Ford admitted there is a loss of HP in the Mustang 2.3 Ecoboost using lower octane fuel. Someone obtained a copy of their Mustang training manual. It was a drop of 35HP from 310 to 275 when using 87 octane.

Many articles and blogs about it.

Seeing as this is a same family EB engine, would expect the same type of drop in power on the maverick also.

Ford Maverick Octane vs MPG, 87 vs 93, anyone compared? Screenshot_20221221-103053_Chrome

Links to forum discussions about it

https://www.mustang6g.com/the-2-3l-...tes-275hp-and-300-ft-lbs-torque-on-87-octane/

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...ne-updated-with-ford-training-materials.9805/
Sponsored

Last edited: