Nw_adventure

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Element/ Toyota Highlander
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I live in "high desert" (6200') region of SW Colorado. We don't have 87 Octane Regular locally, 85 at ironically -Maverick- branded gas stations and I think Speedway is same. Most others are 86. Costco advertises "top tier" rated gasolines, and luckily my local Conoco stations also advertise top tier, even though the Regular is only 86 (y)
Same - Utah has 85 as " regular" Maverick manual states using 85 octane will void warranty. Ugh
Sponsored

vap0rtranz

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Mav Hybrid XLT, '17 Chevy Colo Z71 diesel
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
so non 4K tow models might break that 30mpg barrier.
There aren't many EB 2.0 orders without 4k Tow. Just look around: everyone says upgrade to EB to get extra tow. So last gearing tidbit is interesting but few would see the benefit.

Ford has already stated they are targeting 40 MPG for Hybrid. You're not saying you don't believe it until you see it are you?
Us Hybrid folks are NOT allowed to say "40". We've been scolded many times that the # is just for city dwellers. Didn't you hear? :)

Note the emphasis is now on "29". Everyone's saying EB will get 29 but that # is just for highway haulers. Same problem as with the Hybrid # just in the opposite direction.

We've got EB folks who evidently only drive on interstates and Hybrid folks who only drive in cities. Sounds pretty unrealistic to me.

(I'm a realist: used combined #s. Don't pick the MPG # that looks best and back into it with justifications.)

Xtreme Thunder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Toyota
Just buy what fits your needs.

I have my reasons for fully loaded Lariat configured with 2.0T/AWD/FX4/4K plus other options and packages. I don't need to get 40 MPG City, but I wanted favorable MPG. Favorable to me was 21-30 MPG. My current 2019 Tacoma truck is rated at 18/22/20, and I don't like the product one bit after 2.5 years. My 2007 Honda Civic Si Sedan is rated at 20/29/23 and is stock and it absolutely requires Premium fuel, no exceptions. Buying Premium fuel is already in my personal home finances operating budget. I wanted, not needed, AWD and I wanted something with basically the same power to weight ratio, of which my choice in Maverick configuration provides. With my combined drive cycle on the Honda, I can get anywhere between 24-26 MPG. Driving spirited I will see closer to the 23/24 average. On the Highway, I've seen 30-31 MPG with my driving style. My Honda isn't going anywhere, it's my baby. That reminds me, I think I should just about be ready for new spark plugs at 117K miles they are original. I checked the MPG on last fill and was right at 26.3, hand calculated. This truck, in the configuration I chose, should be in my sweet spot for fun, yet practical.

Reactions: JJC

vap0rtranz

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Mav Hybrid XLT, '17 Chevy Colo Z71 diesel
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Just buy what fits your needs.
Agree. A mid-20s combined would be welcomed in my garage. Replacing a Wrangler that gets 20 on a good day so the EB would beat it.

My disagreement is with 2-faced approaches.

Example: "oh 29 is just starting point, I always get better than the EPA, just be easy on accelerator". Great! Now, if I say "33 is just starting point for me on the Hybrid as well", then that should be good to go, no? No. Someone literally tried to get into the internals of combustion engines to explain to me how the 2.5L couldn't get better MPGs. Seriously now, come on folks.

Anyone is going to be able to beat the EPA if they try, and the engine isn't the limiting factor. If trainers can get better #s out of the EB, you betcha they can get higher MPGs out of the Hybrid.

OP
OP
Old Ranchero

Old Ranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee 2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
There aren't many EB 2.0 orders without 4k Tow. Just look around: everyone says upgrade to EB to get extra tow. So last gearing tidbit is interesting but few would see the benefit.

Us Hybrid folks are NOT allowed to say "40". We've been scolded many times that the # is just for city dwellers. Didn't you hear? :)

Note the emphasis is now on "29". Everyone's saying EB will get 29 but that # is just for highway haulers. Same problem as with the Hybrid # just in the opposite direction.

We've got EB folks who evidently only drive on interstates and Hybrid folks who only drive in cities. Sounds pretty unrealistic to me.

(I'm a realist: used combined #s. Don't pick the MPG # that looks best and back into it with justifications.)
For the record, I did not make the comment about possibly breaking 30mpg- that comment was attributed to @zackmd1 and added to my post by Admin. Same with the SC MPG compared info, and the thread title was changed from my original posting.

MY comments in original posting ended with the word "enjoy" :eek:

Sponsored

grumpyunk

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 Mariner 85 Ranger 97 T-bird 87 Sable
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Interesting point as my 2018 5.0L F150 never matched and was always ~2mpg under when hand calc vs. the dash reading. However, my current 2020 2.0L AWD Escape, actually averages .5 mpg HIGHER when I check by hand at fill-up vs. the computer, and that's been consistent since break-in. It's strange to say the least, but I'll take it.

As someone who already owns and daily drives nearly the same 2.0L AWD just in the form of a 2020 Escape, I'm not at all surprised by these numbers. They are directly in line with the expectations I've been trying to provide others with. All of this being said, I always exceed the "rated" mpg with my Escape. I've never once gotten the ~23 city, or the ~31 highway. My hand checked, city only is closer to 26 and highway 34-35. Mind you, I also have had larger, 235/65R17 Wildpeaks on since new. I've also only run premium fuel since new. Very happy with the EcoBoost in my Escape, and I'm positive I'll love it in my Maverick.
!Somewhere! I read that the estimated mpg calculator can be adjusted to reflect actuals. I do not remember how, but it was fiddling with the cluster and controls.
Some are optimistic and some are pessimistic, so the only way to know is to do a manual calculation and then compare to the cluster reported data.

Reactions: JJC
OP
OP
Old Ranchero

Old Ranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
!Somewhere! I read that the estimated mpg calculator can be adjusted to reflect actuals. I do not remember how, but it was fiddling with the cluster and controls.
Some are optimistic and some are pessimistic, so the only way to know is to do a manual calculation and then compare to the cluster reported data.
I have found the on-board MPG calculator is closest to accurate if I reset it before starting each segment I want to calculate. For example get on freeway, rest trip meter, go 20 miles and exit freeway. Check MPG reading for that segment. If I never reset the trip meter you get a cumulative average of run time on the motor that included idling, short hops, freeway- everything included. I don't have any faith in that being accurate.

JASmith

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I have found the on-board MPG calculator is closest to accurate if I reset it before starting each segment I want to calculate. For example get on freeway, rest trip meter, go 20 miles and exit freeway. Check MPG reading for that segment. If I never reset the trip meter you get a cumulative average of run time on the motor that included idling, short hops, freeway- everything included. I don't have any faith in that being accurate.
The computer has to know down to the tiniest drop exactly how much fuel its using in order to maintain proper air fuel ratios and what not, so either its programmed to misreport, or more likely its simply spedometer error.

Speedos are often showing higher indicated speed than you're actually traveling, so if its showing 75mph but GPS says you're going 72mph, then the computer thinks you traveled more miles than you actually did, and would give you higher miles per gallon rating.

So a fix for that would probably just be a speedo error correction, something some luxury cars now recalibrate on their own automatically by averaging out recorded wheel sensor speed with recorded GPS speed from the built in navigation system.

After all, its easy for their to be a little variation in the total circumference of say a brand new Michelin Defender tire at high tire pressure and low load to say a very used with almost no tread left Continental tire with slightly low tire pressure and your overweight father in law squishing the tires down.

CASD57

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Hyundai Santa Cruz
Engine
Undecided
Yikes, hopefully we get to see some real drives soon so everyone can quit guessing at everything and arguing about the same

OP
OP
Old Ranchero

Old Ranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Yikes, hopefully we get to see some real drives soon so everyone can quit guessing at everything and arguing about the same
agree it's time for some outside test reports (y) IMO, what we are mostly seeing/doing is a lot of good discussions from multiple point of reference rather than simply arguing. Flame wars are being kept to a minimum and usually discussions stay on topic. All good for a free internet board ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.