Sponsored

Bbot

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape SEL
So with demos now hitting dealerships you think they are filling the tank with regular or premium? Definitely would affect power output and mileage with that turbo -
The 2.0 liter engines actually requires 93 octane to reach peak performance.
Sponsored

theek

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda CR-V, Subaru CrossTrek
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Something wrong there. It shoudn't drop that much.

Sponsored

Bbot

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape SEL
The manual says that 87 is fine.
If non ethanol fuel is available you will get peak performance, higher mpg. I have a 2013 1.6Ltr engine with non ethanol or 93 octane I get between 25 and 28 mpg in the city.

mamboman777

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Ford Focus, 2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I was invited to Pundmann Ford training in St. Charles, MO today.

As others have stated, I was pleasantly surprised on internal size, quality, and functionality.

I must say the only negative is that my water bottle is very tight in the front but not the back as pics show.

The trainer said he picked it up yesterday morning in Detroit, if the mpg average is even just highway, I am impressed with over 29 mpg.

Very excited to get my loaded XLT

Maverick Lariat 2.0L AWD

Hot Pepper Red Maverick Lariat 2.0L AWD 2-2-2.JPG

Hot Pepper Red Maverick Lariat 2.0L AWD 4.JPG

Hot Pepper Red Maverick Lariat 2.0L AWD 5.JPG

Hot Pepper Red Maverick Lariat 2.0L AWD 3.JPG

Hot Pepper Red Maverick Lariat 2.0L AWD 6.JPG

Hot Pepper Red Maverick Lariat 2.0L AWD 1.JPG
Yeah... I'm not sure how accurate three internal MPG Monitor is. I've got a 2012 Ford focus that consistently gets 32+ mpg... Except when I do the actual math with the trip odometer instead of rely on the mpg average according to the internal cpu.

I hope that's right, but I'm skeptical. Will be interesting to see what the EPA says...

Old Ranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee 2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
LOL. Or "Guess-o-meter".

Only trust your own #s not computers. Our Grandpa's calculated MPG the right way:
  1. Fill-up tank full
  2. Reset trip/odometer
  3. Drive like you always do until near empty
  4. Fill-up tank again
  5. Check trip/odometer
  6. MPG = trip/odometer miles / gallons pumped @ 2nd fill-up
No EPA dyno test in lab. No Ford gadgets. :)
My Grandpa said the right way is you run your car out of gas completely, then you pour in exactly 1 gallon from the can you brought with you, record the beginning mileage, then run it empty again- and you compare against beginning mileage. Oh and if you forget to refill that can you brought with you for this test- hope you have AAA or ran out near a gas station ;)

SpacemanSpiff

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tyreese
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-15 Eagle
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
This also confirms my mpg expectation, as even my local "City" driving is 55-60mph extended 8-10 mile trips. The hybrid won't do much better in highway/extended city driving, so I'll get the best of both. 30ish MPG with 2.0T, AWD, FX4, and Lux package.
Just so that you don’t have false expectations, but if the 2.0 isn’t warm, those short 8-10 mile trips are going to have bad MPG returns as internal combustion engines run very rich when the engine is at ambient until it warms up to operating temp. I wouldn’t be surprised to see MPG in the teens to very low twenties for a cold start short trip of 8-10 miles.

CASD57

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Hyundai Santa Cruz
Engine
Undecided
Doing the Fill until the gas nozzle clicks off... and using Fuelly my truck get avg. 13.7 over the last 3,300 miles and 8.5 months My gauge shows 14.3 mpg So it's .5 mpg off... The last tank I removed the Range AFM disabler and it's was .75-1.0 mpg off Made me feel good to be seeing 14.9-15.2 on the dash until I filled it and it came up to 13.9 ...Makes me mad every time I fill this gas-hog.....Come on Maverick

Sponsored

Probity

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150 Scab 2.7EB, 2017 CR-V
My Grandpa said the right way is you run your car out of gas completely, then you pour in exactly 1 gallon from the can you brought with you, record the beginning mileage, then run it empty again- and you compare against beginning mileage. Oh and if you forget to refill that can you brought with you for this test- hope you have AAA or ran out near a gas station ;)
Probably not a good idea. I'm guessing Maverick is like most Fords, fuel pump/filter in the gas tank, having the pump operate without being submerged in gas to keep it cool/avoid sediment ingestion is never a good idea. Sue you might get away with doing this, but why would you?

vap0rtranz

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Mav Hybrid XLT, '17 Chevy Colo Z71 diesel
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'm guessing Maverick is like most Fords, fuel pump/filter in the gas tank, having the pump operate without being submerged in gas to keep it cool/avoid sediment ingestion is never a good idea
Same thing my Dad told me with my 1st Ford (a Contour back in late 90's). So I avoid running below 1/4 tank gas. Maybe some things never change.

JASmith

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Probably not a good idea. I'm guessing Maverick is like most Fords, fuel pump/filter in the gas tank, having the pump operate without being submerged in gas to keep it cool/avoid sediment ingestion is never a good idea. Sue you might get away with doing this, but why would you?
That's a myth, maybe it was true in the 1960s or something, but has been dispelled so many times but always gets repeated.

Modern fuel pumps are lubricated/cooled by the fuel being pumped through them, not from being submerged in a sufficient amount of fuel, which means that as long as they aren't sucking in air, you're fine. So while its bad to run a tank empty, its a non-issue how low the fuel level is as long as its still sucking in fuel. If you were sucking in air, it would get hot but the engine isn't going to run long like that anyway.

As further evidence of this, you'll note that if you've done a fuel pump replacement before, they are typically cylinder shaped in a insulating plastic casing much of which is often above the fuel level anyway, and its just the little debris filter baggy intake that sits at the bottom. Its not like its some metal heatsink thing sitting in the fuel, just thick plastic which is a good insulator.

Probity

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150 Scab 2.7EB, 2017 CR-V
That's a myth, maybe it was true in the 1960s or something, but has been dispelled so many times but always gets repeated.

Modern fuel pumps are lubricated/cooled by the fuel being pumped through them, not from being submerged in a sufficient amount of fuel, which means that as long as they aren't sucking in air, you're fine. So while its bad to run a tank empty, its a non-issue how low the fuel level is as long as its still sucking in fuel. If you were sucking in air, it would get hot but the engine isn't going to run long like that anyway.

As further evidence of this, you'll note that if you've done a fuel pump replacement before, they are typically cylinder shaped in a insulating plastic casing much of which is often above the fuel level anyway, and its just the little debris filter baggy intake that sits at the bottom. Its not like its some metal heatsink thing sitting in the fuel, just thick plastic which is a good insulator.
Thanks (I think). I don't think it's a myth if you run the engine 'till it stops because of no gas available for pumping. By definition, running your vehicle completely out of gas as Old Ranchero said means it is sucking air.

MadMav

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 maverick fx4 lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Funny how some just immediately jump in with negativity about something that isn’t even out in the public yet , just test mules , everyone is going to get different gas mileage, because we all drive different , but to just say things like no way this or that is spewing negativity which is to common on these forums.

My 4x4 4cly Colorado gets 24/25mpg on the highway , it’s a beast compared to the maverick, There’s no reason not to expect 26/32ish for this truck unless your a lead foot at stop lights and cruise 90mph + \ - on the highway .

some just can’t wait to chime in being a critic .
Sponsored