Sponsored

Why did you order a Maverick? What are you going to use it for?

SuckLemons

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Toyota Tacoma 🌮
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
My wife is tired of me using one of our compact SUV as a pickup truck. I am a DIY guy and when I saw a Youtube video of the Maverick hauling 4 x 8 sheet goods, I was sold!
Boy, do I have the thread for you! 🙂
Hopefully you aren’t using your wife’s car like @clavicus did to that poor Accord…. Hahaha
Sponsored

Wrench77

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cadillac ATS, Ford Maverick pre ordered
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Being a home owner you always need a truck. I don’t have trash pickup so I have to go to town dump. Then all the week end projects and Home Depot runs it’s needed again. I’m currently doing this with a compact car or small SUV. I also work all over Mass and NH so good fuel economy is needed as well. This truck fits the role perfectly. I don’t need to own a beater truck then an economy car to make things work. Plus the price is right. You can’t get a decent used truck or new family sedan for its asking price. Thank you Ford for finally making something I’ve wanted.

hsinking1932

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

Tripp

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Russell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep WJ
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
My vehicle has always been a reflection of my stage in life. When I was young, I had a single cab F-150 with loud exhaust and an awesome stereo. Had my first kid, so I moved to an extended cab for the car seat. I got a new job with a long commute, so I downgraded to a beater car with good mileage. Got a promotion so I got a VW with better mileage. I switched careers and now work from home, so mileage is not a huge concern anymore and I'm driving around in an older Jeep WJ and take it out for fun on the weekends. Now, my first kid is turning 16 soon and he has made it clear that he wants the Jeep, so I took it as an opportunity to get something new for myself.

I now have a need to pull small loads. We do a lot of UTV riding, and I need a vehicle to tow my rig to the trails on the weekends. I'm the typical home owner, so we have the typical runs to Home Depot. I need a back seat for when I occasionally have more than one person with me. I've been looking at the pickup market for some time, but can't bring myself to drop that much money on a truck that will mostly sit in my driveway and only occasionally be used as a truck. The Maverick checks all of the boxes for what I need, and comes in at a price point that I'm willing to pay.

danielmartinez20

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Accord Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
26 here and this will be my "first" truck purchase. Never really been into trucks and never really had a use for them up until about two years ago. I have been a home owner for 2 years now and have had plenty of times that a "truck" would be useful but nothing requiring the current crop of full size or even mid-size trucks. Small things like runs to the local landfill, runs to the hardware store for mulch for the wife's gardening, etc all do no require full or mid-size trucks but do require something more than a car or even SUV. I have been getting by with borrowing my parents 94 Dakota.

The current full size or mid size trucks just have required to many compromises for what they offered in return (too large, poor mpg, basic features for the price tag, high price in general, etc...) for me to truly consider them as a secondary vehicle let alone a daily. The Maverick solves the majority of those issues to the point where it will become my new daily instead of being a secondary vehicle. Cheap, good on gas, decent standard features, SMALL, all play into why the Maverick will work perfectly for me.
I'm in a very similar situation. I'm 35 and have been a homeowner for a few years now. and never had a pickup before. Would add that I have 2 kids and needed a vehicle that would accomodate forward and backward facing child seats. I can also think of many situations where a pickup would have helped with home improvement projects and whatnot. I was not however willing to sacrifice the fuel efficiency of my hybrid accord, given the terrible Miami traffic. So the Mav was a perfect fit in my situation

Sponsored

notfast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Frontier PRO-4X Lux FFV
Engine
Undecided
can't bring myself to drop that much money on a truck that will mostly sit in my driveway and only occasionally be used as a truck.
Same. That's one of the reasons why I sold my F-250 and enclosed car hauler. They were only being used a couple times a year.

needed a vehicle that would accomodate forward and backward facing child seats
If you pre-ordered with a cancellation option, I suggest you take your child seats with you just to confirm that they'll fit in the Maverick with the front seats adjusted suitably.

danielmartinez20

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Accord Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Same. That's one of the reasons why I sold my F-250 and enclosed car hauler. They were only being used a couple times a year.

If you pre-ordered with a cancellation option, I suggest you take your child seats with you just to confirm that they'll fit in the Maverick with the front seats adjusted suitably.
I doubt this will be an issue, given the interior dimensions that have been quoted. Additionally, my wife is of very short stature, so the passenger seat can really be pushed forward to acommodate the back facing child seat. But thanks for the tip.

Amakrida

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'm 34. This will be my first new vehicle purchase. I'm coming from owning a 2008 Toyota Prius that I've had for 7-8 years now. It's approaching 200k miles, no real issues (knock on wood). Need something with more room to haul things (although you can fit a surprising amount in a Prius).

I've been doing more woodworking, it's become my favorite hobby. Want something I can move 4x8 sheets of plywood in. The flex bed will work perfectly for that, I love how they designed it with that specific use case in mind. Feels like the engineers did it for me. I've also been borrowing my father in laws Avalanche to move things a few times a year. Would be nice to have the ability to haul plywood, 2x4s, mulch, dirt, and whatever furniture I'm always moving around. On top of that, it'll still fit in my garage.

I've wanted a Tacoma for a while. The price tag and fuel economy has always made me wary. Near $40k with how I configure it, 17 mpg in the city, and would have to stay in the driveway.

Now you're telling me I can get a truck that will be a hybrid (what I'm used to driving), will get close to 40 mpg, haul what I want it too, has 4 doors, fits in my garage, looks like a truck (hate the Santa Cruz) and all in I'm at $28k and some change? I'm in.

Ordered the XLT with Ford Co-Pilot, XLT luxury package, and manual rear window. In Cactus Grey with the Hybrid. Couldn't be more excited.

On top of that it will provide me with the ability to troll "truck guys", which will give a sick sense of enjoyment. Already I keep chiming in on truck conversations and ask stupid questions like "how big of a lift should I get?" "Should I get some 40 inch tires on there?" "When are we going mudding fellas?" Already ruffles their feathers, I love it. 😁

SoupFiend

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 Ford ranger, 09 Honda civic
I paint for a living and need a truck but nothing big since I only haul paint buckets and sometimes ladders. On the weekends/off days I want to take my mountain bike to the bike park as well as go surfing. I don't need a truck that gets 15mpg so this car will be perfect. Last car I bought new was my 09 Civic couple which I still drive. Essentially I want a civic with a bed and this is it. And I'll be getting better mpgs

vladytom

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Vlady
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Lariat, Maverick XLT, Mazda, Bronco
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Got an F150 FX4 Lariat as a rental. Loaded. I brought home my Kayak who was left behind last year when I moved. The truck was riding like a go cart. I decided I want a pick-up truck. Good mileage was a must. Easy decision. Planning to use it as a commuter and on weekends as a get away car. Maybe install some cross bars above the bed and put on a tent (RoofNest or similar). My son will go next year to College and guess what...? Will probably carry a ton of stuff with it.

Last edited:
Sponsored

MikeLawry

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Hyundai Elantra
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
How does everyone with a kayak plan on transporting them? The bed only being 4.5 ft might make this difficult. Do you think roof bars will be necessary?

notfast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Frontier PRO-4X Lux FFV
Engine
Undecided
I've wanted a Tacoma for a while. The price tag and fuel economy has always made me wary. Near $40k with how I configure it, 17 mpg in the city, and would have to stay in the driveway.
Tacomas are among the few vehicles that hold their value really well. However, I'd rather not have $40k tied up in a pickup truck!

Ordered the XLT with Ford Co-Pilot, XLT luxury package, and manual rear window. In Cactus Grey with the Hybrid. Couldn't be more excited.
That is exactly the Maverick I would order right now if I needed to. I would order one, but I'm holding my breath for the supposed Ford Ranger PHEV and/or a Maverick Hybrid AWD.

Essentially I want a civic with a bed and this is it. And I'll be getting better mpgs
The Maverick's starting price is less than the Civic, and it gets better gas mileage, and it can tow and haul! Doesn't get much better than that!

How does everyone with a kayak plan on transporting them? The bed only being 4.5 ft might make this difficult. Do you think roof bars will be necessary?
I've never had a kayak, but as someone who has transported a lot of oversize items in pickups, I would probably either get a headache rack and strap it upside down to that, or get one Yakima or Thule roof rack cross bar and a goal post.

sdr.speng

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura TL
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
60 here:
1. In 2017, I rolled my Nissan Frontier on I-81 and completely totaled it - since then I have missed a truck BAD.
2. This will be my daily driver mostly in town, with occasional interstate or vacation use.
3. I have been getting mower gas and taking trash off in my $45,000 Acura and I hate it - The Maverick will be the new task master.
4. This truck is exactly the Size/Options/Look/Price I wanted and needed for another truck.
5. I will use it to do household chores, with only hauling my mower around to help others in need.
6. I have been completely depressed about the new truck pricing - BUT, Ford came through and made the $20,000 Maverick.
7. I really like the Maverick look and the Santa Cruz is a sissy ute! (just my opinion)

WhoAmI2021

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda 6S Wagon, E250, Kia Soul
1- Daily Driver
2-Work Vehicle (in sales and cover the east cost) really like the hybrid mileage and getting the roll-up tonneau cover for a faux trunk
3- Home Improvement Projects- Even a small bed will come in handy-speaking of that, I have a couch to take to the dump...
4- Outdoorsy stuff- Camping, bicycling, and who know what else-if I want to off-road, I'll just go with my friend and his Jeep
5- Volunteer Work- 120V outlet for charging my tool batteries (wish there was an option for one in the bed w/o Lux Pack)

willyboy

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
several
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Smaller dependable passenger vehicle that can act occasionally like a utility or a pickup. It should fit the bill.
Sponsored