Sponsored

Why did you order a Maverick? What are you going to use it for?

martyi48

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I've been reading a bunch of posts today and very few folks have given any indication why they really ordered this truck. I've heard "suits me to a tee", "this truck was made for me", etc., etc. I live in Texas country and out here in the sticks I don't think the Maverick will do too well. Oil workers and farmers and ranchers are going with Rams and F150s because that is what they need. However, I believe places like Dallas and its suburbs will probably find good sales for the Maverick.

I'm wondering - specifically, why are you buying this particular truck? I'll begin. I'm in my '70s and have owned mid-size trucks of various sorts during my life. I loved my two Dodge Dakotas and I bought one of the very first Ridgelines to come off the line in 2005. Now that money is no longer a major consideration, I've been driving Mercedes vehicles and love them but decided they just were not practical for me now that I am older with different things going on in my life. I've taken up gardening so I need something to haul plants and mulch. In my current vehicle, lucky if I can get two bags of potting soil in the thing. I live on a golf course and play almost every day but I would love to get a few guys together now and then and go to other courses - just throw the bags in the back end and go. Again, lucky if I can get a 7 iron in the car I have now. It is a beast, fast and fun to drive but I think I'm getting past that stage now. I don't trailer anything and frankly, I really don't need a truck but my love of smaller trucks won out and I ordered a Lariat that was pretty well loaded. I have a new Mercedes ordered too and should arrive next month. Now I can say I have the best of both worlds.

So, why did you buy a Maverick and what do you plan on doing with it?
Sponsored

zackmd1

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mustang 429BB / 2019 Tesla Model 3
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
26 here and this will be my "first" truck purchase. Never really been into trucks and never really had a use for them up until about two years ago. I have been a home owner for 2 years now and have had plenty of times that a "truck" would be useful but nothing requiring the current crop of full size or even mid-size trucks. Small things like runs to the local landfill, runs to the hardware store for mulch for the wife's gardening, etc all do no require full or mid-size trucks but do require something more than a car or even SUV. I have been getting by with borrowing my parents 94 Dakota.

The current full size or mid size trucks just have required to many compromises for what they offered in return (too large, poor mpg, basic features for the price tag, high price in general, etc...) for me to truly consider them as a secondary vehicle let alone a daily. The Maverick solves the majority of those issues to the point where it will become my new daily instead of being a secondary vehicle. Cheap, good on gas, decent standard features, SMALL, all play into why the Maverick will work perfectly for me.

technolithic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
NA
I think your observations about Texas are spot on. I lived in DFW for a time and it seems like people either drove a Civic, or an F-150... I think Dallasites will still hate on Maverick drivers though :ROFLMAO:. My grandpa had a Dakota. I loved that little truck.

I'm late 20s, living car-less in a city with transit. I commute to work via transit, but will be working from home for the foreseeable future. While I can get around pretty well without a vehicle, its hard to visit family, and go do stuff in the suburbs. I'm interested in the Maverick to be a jack-of-all trades vehicle. I'd like to use it to go camping/hiking/biking/road trips and not be tied to living close to work with the expectation that we will be returning to the office part time. It would be a purchase that I don't need to make, but I've always wanted a pickup, and I think I will get a lot of use out of it.

Ideally I'd like the AWD with FX4 package, but I don't see the utility there. I don't think it will be very off road capable, FWD or AWD. I'm going hybrid for now.

NerdLefty

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Toyota RAV4
30 years old
In no order:
- I'm a firefighter, and I wanted a way to keep my gear outside the cab (contaminants/carcinogens prevention)
- Needed something for hauling stuff for home projects (panels, lumber, shingles, pavers, etc.)
- Something I can load bikes into easily
- Something for long camping trips (the hybrid drivetrain is a huge selling point here)
- Something I can still paralell park in Chicago when I need to
- Ive always wanted the utility aspects of a truck, but couldn't justify buying something that big and with poor MPG.

Maverick seems like a great fit!

dldsm7

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Subaru Outback
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
So for me, a few reasons:
  • I am upgrading from a car and need some towing capacity but don’t want the TRUCK feel. Currently using my wife’s SUV for towing needs.
  • I am in the suburbs/city and need something smaller than an F150 to get around and park. I like the ranger too though but nothing in the lots. May end up with a 2019 4door.
  • I am big on home repair and have needed a truck at least once a month over the past few years, just been making due.
  • I want decent gas mileage (going with the 2.0T AWD) as I am coming from a car that gets 26mpg combined
  • Need a crew cab
  • It’s CHEAP. Like I can’t find a Toyota Tacoma with the same options with less than 100,000 miles for the same price. Same goes for any full sized. Used trucks are just expensive and I fee like this is a better value for something I will use for the next 10 years.

Sponsored

theek

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda CR-V, Subaru CrossTrek
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I need a truck to haul crap over 1000 lbs. Rocks, concrete, slabs, dirt. Drywall, lumber, pipe. Trash like an old paddle boat and a shattered canoe. Basic junk. Pallets. Things that come on pallets. Gardening things like a concrete firepit that weigh 800 to 1000 lbs.

I'd rather not use a utility trailer except when I'm dealing with over payload or awkward loads.

It can't be more than 85 inches wide with the mirrors That's what fits in the driveway.

it can't be more than 200 inches long. That's what fits in the garage.

That's what fits.

It has to be smaller than a Toyota Sienna minivan.

Nothing larger.

Anything smaller is fine.

Last edited:

kmartinkc

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kia Sportage
I liked the idea of a truck, but didn't think I'd be able to afford one for a while. I thought I might be able to get a used one in a couple of years for a decent price, but it turns out I need a second vehicle in the Fall. I was originally either looking at a mid-size/compact sedan (Civic, Jetta, Accord, Camry, etc.) or an SUV (CR-V, CX-5, Rogue, etc.) My budget isn't much more than 30k, so unless I got a bare bones mid-size truck with 2WD and only a two-door there seemed to be no way a truck was an option. Then this came out and I was able to price out an XLT with 2.0T, AWD, towing, FX4 package, and a couple of other bells and whistles for around 30k and I was sold right away. I live in the suburbs and I'm a white collar worker, so it's not like I absolutely need a truck with huge towing and payload capacity, but having the option to have a very utilitarian vehicle that can tow a decent amount and has AWD for when I visit my parents in the mountains in Colorado was too good to pass up.

ZipperKid

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy S10
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I have owned multiple S10s since my first vehicle, so about 10 years. I love the size of an S10, but I wanted a modern interior and performance. I did not like the Ranger/Colorado proportions (too tall, yet thin body) or their "real truck" price tag. The interior technology was nothing to brag about either.

With the Maverick, you get a nice, clean interior with a good-sized display and a nice, compact, truck proportioned exterior.

bgn

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I think your observations about Texas are spot on. I lived in DFW for a time and it seems like people either drove a Civic, or an F-150... I think Dallasites will still hate on Maverick drivers though :ROFLMAO:. My grandpa had a Dakota. I loved that little truck.

I'm late 20s, living car-less in a city with transit. I commute to work via transit, but will be working from home for the foreseeable future. While I can get around pretty well without a vehicle, its hard to visit family, and go do stuff in the suburbs. I'm interested in the Maverick to be a jack-of-all trades vehicle. I'd like to use it to go camping/hiking/biking/road trips and not be tied to living close to work with the expectation that we will be returning to the office part time. It would be a purchase that I don't need to make, but I've always wanted a pickup, and I think I will get a lot of use out of it.

Ideally I'd like the AWD with FX4 package, but I don't see the utility there. I don't think it will be very off road capable, FWD or AWD. I'm going hybrid for now.
Ah, your doubts are exactly in line with mine. It seems like the value of this truck is in the hybrid, not the AWD/FX4, but I'm still on the fence.

Pairof98s

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ram 1500, 2020 4Runner
I took my driver test almost 40 years ago in my Dad’s 1981 Nissan regular cab and later owned a 1988 Isuzu Reg cab I bought new after college. I’ve always had a truck, mostly Chevy or GMC until 2013, when I switched to Ram. I have a lifted Ram 1500 and my wife drives the big Infiniti QX, so we have big vehicles. I had a company car for most of the last 30 years and spent most my miles in a Fusion or Taurus. I enjoy driving my Ram, but it’s size is overkill as a daily driver. And the highway MPG with 35s is awful, 12-13. i bought a new 4Runner last year that serves as my primary daily driver, and it may end up as the DD for my teen that turns 16 later this year. The Maverick would be a great starter vehicle for him also, so we will either fight over one or share both. The Maverick will handle 99% of my needs except for towing our boat, which the Ram handles beautifully. Weekend trips with kayaks or ATVs can be handled by the Maverick for half the fuel cost. And finally, I am starving for color after having only black and silver for many years... the Area 51 and Navy Pier interior will give me some pop.

Sponsored
OP
OP

martyi48

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Really great replies to my question guys. All of your thoughts and observations put a real life perspective on this little truck. Yea, some of these old boys out in the country (especially here in Texas) might smerk a little but we will have a truck that, as you all have pointed out, makes sense in our lives and will help to enrich those lives. Not to get too philosophical here but everyone has listed very valid reasons for wanting the Maverick. I can't say the same for so many people who I see drive around with these monster trucks and need them like they need a hole in the head.

technolithic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
NA
Ah, your doubts are exactly in line with mine. It seems like the value of this truck is in the hybrid, not the AWD/FX4, but I'm still on the fence.
Glad to hear I’m not the only one! To me it seems like it’ll be about as capable as a RAV4 and less capable than a Bronco Sport. Of course that changes if people figure out how to add a lift, etc. bottom line is that it isn’t a Wrangler or a Bronco. I did the math and after add ons and extra taxes because of the poor AWD fuel efficiency, I’m looking at a 16 percent up charge for AWD and FX4 package.

The off roading I’d like to do only consists of gravel fire roads. Absent apocalyptic weather events, I think the hybrid with some A/T tires (which I’m eventually adding for aesthetic reasons) will work just fine

g1zstar

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XL Hybrid Barebones
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Never owned a car before, just driven others and work van. Want my own vehicle as public transit isn't expansive/direct enough for me. Initially was looking for something for me and my family to drive smaller SUV but pricepoint for what we wanted would have been 35-40k so now just looking for something for me and me only haha.

It being a more compact pick up truck was interesting, the price tag was very interesting, and the fuel efficiency sealed the deal.
Only bad part is that it isn't already available.

Dbarr

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
DB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fiat 500c, Dodge Grandkidsvan, Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I've been reading a bunch of posts today and very few folks have given any indication why they really ordered this truck. I've heard "suits me to a tee", "this truck was made for me", etc., etc. I live in Texas country and out here in the sticks I don't think the Maverick will do too well. Oil workers and farmers and ranchers are going with Rams and F150s because that is what they need. However, I believe places like Dallas and its suburbs will probably find good sales for the Maverick.

I'm wondering - specifically, why are you buying this particular truck? I'll begin. I'm in my '70s and have owned mid-size trucks of various sorts during my life. I loved my two Dodge Dakotas and I bought one of the very first Ridgelines to come off the line in 2005. Now that money is no longer a major consideration, I've been driving Mercedes vehicles and love them but decided they just were not practical for me now that I am older with different things going on in my life. I've taken up gardening so I need something to haul plants and mulch. In my current vehicle, lucky if I can get two bags of potting soil in the thing. I live on a golf course and play almost every day but I would love to get a few guys together now and then and go to other courses - just throw the bags in the back end and go. Again, lucky if I can get a 7 iron in the car I have now. It is a beast, fast and fun to drive but I think I'm getting past that stage now. I don't trailer anything and frankly, I really don't need a truck but my love of smaller trucks won out and I ordered a Lariat that was pretty well loaded. I have a new Mercedes ordered too and should arrive next month. Now I can say I have the best of both worlds.

simple, wanted one, it will be the daily driver

PapaDave

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT FX4 VBlue & XLT hybrid A51
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Daily driver. Running errands and going to state parks/camping. Likely didn't need the AWD but occasionally, will be better prepared in snow and dirt roads.
Sponsored