Sponsored

Why did you order a Maverick? What are you going to use it for?

CoachJR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 RSX, 1996 Chevy S10 SS
First truck was in 1995, compact Chevy S-10. Owned it for about 10 years but it stayed in the family till 5 months ago. Drove cars ever since 2005 but missed not having a truck around to haul things around.
Son just purchased a 21 Ranger Lariat. Price was good at 32,600 but don't like the MPG since I drive a lot of miles. But I got the truck bug and as soon as I saw this Maverick with the high MPG, I knew it was for me. I will use it for my everyday drive and be nice to have the availability to use the bed for my general chores that a car cannot do.
I just sold my 1996 Chevy S-10 ss - It was hard for me to give it up after 25 years - but I needed something reliable. So excited to see this compact Ford Maverick.
Sponsored

oljackfrost

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They're all sold, waiting for Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
First truck was in 1995, compact Chevy S-10. Owned it for about 10 years but it stayed in the family till 5 months ago. Drove cars ever since 2005 but missed not having a truck around to haul things around.
Son just purchased a 21 Ranger Lariat. Price was good at 32,600 but don't like the MPG since I drive a lot of miles. But I got the truck bug and as soon as I saw this Maverick with the high MPG, I knew it was for me. I will use it for my everyday drive and be nice to have the availability to use the bed for my general chores that a car cannot do.
Sell the Ranger NOW! Used car prices are through the roof. Two months ago my Subaru was $13,200 on Kelley Blue Book, just sold it to the local Ford dealer for $17,500.

Karmic

First Name
Mack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
I've been reading a bunch of posts today and very few folks have given any indication why they really ordered this truck. I've heard "suits me to a tee", "this truck was made for me", etc., etc. I live in Texas country and out here in the sticks I don't think the Maverick will do too well. Oil workers and farmers and ranchers are going with Rams and F150s because that is what they need. However, I believe places like Dallas and its suburbs will probably find good sales for the Maverick.

I'm wondering - specifically, why are you buying this particular truck? I'll begin. I'm in my '70s and have owned mid-size trucks of various sorts during my life. I loved my two Dodge Dakotas and I bought one of the very first Ridgelines to come off the line in 2005. Now that money is no longer a major consideration, I've been driving Mercedes vehicles and love them but decided they just were not practical for me now that I am older with different things going on in my life. I've taken up gardening so I need something to haul plants and mulch. In my current vehicle, lucky if I can get two bags of potting soil in the thing. I live on a golf course and play almost every day but I would love to get a few guys together now and then and go to other courses - just throw the bags in the back end and go. Again, lucky if I can get a 7 iron in the car I have now. It is a beast, fast and fun to drive but I think I'm getting past that stage now. I don't trailer anything and frankly, I really don't need a truck but my love of smaller trucks won out and I ordered a Lariat that was pretty well loaded. I have a new Mercedes ordered too and should arrive next month. Now I can say I have the best of both worlds.

So, why did you buy a Maverick and what do you plan on doing with it?
I live in a city. I've been on a dirt road once last year when I went camping. And by camping, drove on a gravel road, to a dirt road to get to my cabin. Don't tow things. Don't really need AWD/4WD. I'm an artist and make things. This is perfect for me for supplies and things. I have never had a sedan. Always hatchbacks/SUV. Most SUV's today are too pretty to actually offer a lot of utility IMO. The cab is all the car I need, the bed is all the bed I need. I actually LOVE the design. I like the clean angular lines. I've never considered a truck before. I used to think the Ford Explorer Sport Trac was an interesting design, but not for 15/20 mpg. No way. 40 MPG is great and I think (haven't been in it obviously) this smaller size will be ideal. Had friends that had small Isuzu P'up, small Ranger, and even F100. Love the size of those. I don't know why Ford doesn't have F150, and F100. This could be like a F75 maybe. So I've never been a Truck person, but will be a Maverick person. Now just balancing the 'take your time and make it right' and 'hurry up I can't wait' thing. :)

Ribwich

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick, Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Others have mentioned the home owner angle which is one side of things. I also hope to get into more outdoor activities and being able to easily throw a bike or gear in the back will be nice. My son is getting to the age where we can do more active stuff outside or go camping. We discovered the nearby drive in theater during Covid so it will be fun to jump in the back for that as well.

My wife has a CRV but my daily is an Evo X with 130k miles on it. The Maverick will be my new daily so the Evo will get less wear. I'd like to have another vehicle to make it easier to get a few things fixed on the Evo as well without worrying about leaving it at the shop a few days.

Sponsored

Younglefthander

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Maverick Lariat, 22 Bronco Sport Big Ben
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Sell the Ranger NOW! Used car prices are through the roof. Two months ago my Subaru was $13,200 on Kelley Blue Book, just sold it to the local Ford dealer for $17,500.
Nice job. Don't disagree that this truck (32,600) would fetch more since it's a supercrew w/ the Lariat High Package. But it's his first truck. Paid with his money, no help from us. Only had 22 miles on it, and it is really nice. Got it right before some incentives were going away back in early June. If I built this same truck today on the Ford site, it would be 39+. In comparison, a Maverick Lariat w/Luxury Package would cost 30,865, or about $1800 then the Ranger he got.

paulw27

First Name
paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 CMax Energi/2016 Rav4 Hybrid
Here were the main selling points for me:
Size--I don't need a big truck, and was very happy with my 99 Tacoma and 87 B2000.
MSRP--Compared to the outrageous prices of big trucks.
Utility--A small pickup is perfect for my main passion of cycling. Next to a camper van, it's the perfect vehicle for driving to out of town races/events. We also appreciate having a truck around for the few things we don't want to use the SUV for--dump runs and recycling.
Value/Economy--I'm going with the hybrid engine. We have a hybrid RAV4 and CMax Energi. I'm sold on the reliability and lower cost of ownership (fewer oil changes/brake replacements) that hybrids offer. Although we deal with snow every year, I believe the FWD with all terrain or snow tires will do well in the snow.
Esthetics--The truck looks great.

FamousAmos

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
GAB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid XL
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I am 78 and living on half a pension - my ex-wife gets the other half. This is my first truck, and budget is my main concern. I was actually looking for a small truck like everyone manufactured 50 years ago, like the Ford Ranger. I was hoping to get a new Ranger, but they are full-size now, and priced out of my range. Then, by dumb luck, I heard about this little truck. All I need it for is to carry my 10-foot fishing kayak from home to the lake and back. I have a Hyundai Venue now, which in no way is designed to carry anything in the back with the rear seats down. I ordered the XL model, with $1400 of options. I was feeling "naked" without Cruise Control, until I realized that since moving back to Maryland 2 years ago, I haven't used cruise control once, whereas my last 16 years in Dallas TX, I used it everywhere. I am looking forward to getting the truck, as my little Venue is a bit of a PITA, and Carvana is giving me a good price for it.

notfast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Frontier PRO-4X Lux FFV
Engine
Undecided
Have you had any issues hauling 8’ lumber with that five foot bed?
Nope. Sixty inches of bed plus 18 inches of tailgate means that 96-inch lumber only overhangs by (96-(60+18)) = 18 inches.

I've even carried 10-foot lumber down the freeway for short distances (a couple miles). There was about 42" of overhang, or 35% of the total length.

For me, selecting equipment (in this case, a truck) comes down to answering two questions:
  1. How often?
  2. How far?
For example:
  1. If you need to haul lumber a couple times a year from the lumber yard nearby, the Maverick sounds perfect.
  2. If you need to haul lumber 200 miles away, I'd rent a trailer, or a truck, or get it delivered.
  3. If you need to haul lumber daily, I'd get a truck with an 8-foot bed, or a ladder/lumber rack. Driving with the tailgate down leaves the tailgate prone to damage from kicked-up road debris. Not to mention, getting rear-ended will cause a lot more damage to the vehicle. It's fine if it's only occasionally, but that collective damage from frequent use will show.
Picking equipment that is over-specified just means you have unnecessarily high operating costs and a bunch of money tied up into equipment that will see little utilization. It goes back to the saying, "The right tool for the job".

I believe the FWD with all terrain or snow tires will do well in the snow.
If your driving is on snowy/ice-covered paved or packed/crushed gravel roads, I'd 1000% get winter/snow tires. Even 3MPSF tires are no match for true winter tires. Winter tires are designed to run at temperatures below freezing and still stay pliable and soft. They also have micro-serrations in the tread, which will give them grip on sheer ice.

If you're going on dirt roads or off road, I'd say it then depends. Below the snow and ice is dirt and mud. True mud-terrain tires will shoot chips of mud to the sides and plow right through. But mud tires are the exact opposite of what you want on snow and ice; large, solid tread blocks with minimal serrations.

I haven't used cruise control once, whereas my last 16 years in Dallas TX, I used it everywhere.
In contrast, I drive in the DFW area a couple times a year and never use cruise control. I'd go for the XL as well, but the deal breaker for me is that I really want at least an 8-way seat, which is a fleet-only option on the XL.

Last edited:
Sponsored

groovesocket

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Atom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Four reasons. One, as a daily driver. I have a long commute and I'm going back into the office on a daily basis. Second, I'm a homeowner and do a lot of DIY projects. I need something to put a loose pile of mulch into. Third, it will fit into my garage. Currently I'm driving a Jeep Gladiator that is too long for my garage. Fourth, as a people hauler. I have two young kids. The Maverick meets all my needs.

charlie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 F150
Why? I've driven pickup trucks my whole live. Learned to drive in a '59 Dodge PU, bought my first new PU in 1972, a Ford Courier.
I worked in construction for over 40 years and drove company PU's for the last 25 of those years.
Bought my current PU in 2008, a used 2002 F150 and thought it would be my last. Then a couple of weeks ago Ford came out with the Maverick and I figured I'd get myself another new truck; I don't need a full size PU, I don't want the 10-12 mpg of my F150. The hybrid Maverick XLT, with a few options, should last longer than I will, then the grandkids can have it. Or trade it for an EV PU.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick XLT
I've been looking for an 'adult' upgrade to my 2008 Scion XB, and this is perfect for me; something economical, that can fit in the city, get me to the grocery store/disc golf courses/camping, but also provide some options to help with hauling/transporting things when my family needs a bit more cargo space.

Its easy on the eyes, has the same personality as the Scion XB and is an aesthetic upgrade. I was sold from the moment I found it ((which was yesterday)).

Typically its just my wife and I, but occasionally have a friend or two in the backseat, and the cabin looks perfect for it. I'm not a.) a 'hard' driver or b.) a fashion-over-function person, so I just was looking for something to get the job done...honestly, the maverick looks perfect for me.

Last edited:

Mav_in_MO

First Name
Kohl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Focus ST
Mostly as a daily driver. I love my Focus ST but it has zero safety/convenience features and the ride is a bit stiff. I do intend on towing a jet ski and small trailer, maybe even a teardrop camper. I'm going with a cyber orange Lariat Lux hybrid plus the moonroof. It's unfortunate the First Edition is limited to three colors. The 2.0 is hard to justify with several thousand up front and $500-$700 per year in gas costs difference.

I think cyber orange with a moonroof, black wheels, and a dark window tint will look great.

Last edited:

Packer Bill

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda CX-5
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
My wife is tired of me using one of our compact SUV as a pickup truck. I am a DIY guy and when I saw a Youtube video of the Maverick hauling 4 x 8 sheet goods, I was sold!
Sponsored