Sponsored

Why are so many Mavericks getting rear ended?

Superg0

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 XLT FX4 Azure Grey
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
pretty sure Mavericks are getting rear ended because they are in awe of its clever and practical design and have to see it closer, but never snap out of their dream of owning one.

Azmig88

2.0L EcoBoost
Diamond Sponsor
First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick 2.0 Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I think that is a legend that has grown. If you look around, there are MANY Mavericks with a smashed front end.
I suspect that legend is complete
Toro CaCa

Waterick

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 Mav Lariat, '14 Prius, '83 'Stang, more...
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Well, also, I'd rather use my brake pads to slow down rather than my transmission.
I never did that in a "standard" manual shift car either.
Yes, downshifted to be in the correct gear if I had to let off the clutch, but use the brake pads not the transmission gears to slow down.
Even worse in an automatic.
Even worse in a CVT.
The low on the hybrid is all regenerative braking unless you somehow immediately prior had a lot steep downhill driving and HVB was max charged. Transmission not usually involved unless accelerating, then it will hold a lower ratio. At least I believe this is how it operates.
If there is added wear, it's probably on the CV joints. That may explain the why the hybrids are having more CV axle problems than the EB's.

Sponsored

Robert C

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Ranger
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The low on the hybrid is all regenerative braking unless you somehow immediately prior had a lot steep downhill driving and HVB was max charged. Transmission not usually involved unless accelerating, then it will hold a lower ratio. At least I believe this is how it operates.
If there is added wear, it's probably on the CV joints. That may explain the why the hybrids are having more CV axle problems than the EB's.
Another reason to just use your brake pads to slow down rather than all this "hypermiling" or whatever it's called.

icegradner

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Another reason to just use your brake pads to slow down rather than all this "hypermiling" or whatever it's called.
Using the regenerative braking, you basically have no choice unless you slam the brakes every time, is not hypermiling. ;)

Robert C

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Ranger
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Using the regenerative braking, you basically have no choice unless you slam the brakes every time, is not hypermiling. ;)
I stand corrected and myself reprove.
Seriously, why can't you ever say anything online without being corrected by somebody?
I'm simply saying why not use your brake pads to stop?
Is this really a point of contention?
People want to use the low on their transmissions? - their automatic transmissions??

Shakesbear

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
J. R.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat AWD, FX4, 4K, Lux, no CP360 assist
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
It seems like a very high percentage of Mavericks are getting rear ended. Most of the accident posts here are about getting rear ended. I read an article recently about a huge salvage company somewhere in the Midwest that is buying up all the totaled Mavs and the majority have rear end damage. Certainly Idiots on cell phones and texting are a contributing factor but you would expect the rate to be the same as all vehicles. Idiots don t discriminate. So that can’t be the only reason
One thing I suspect with Hybrids is one pedal driving. Ford did not put a simple $25 part in the hybrids that would engage the brake lights when the vehicle is regen braking like most other hybrids and EV’s do. Maybe the NHTSA will pick up on this and order a recall.
Couple of questions for the group.
Of those that have been rear ended did to you replace the stock brake bulbs with brighter led’s like Lasfits?
If you are running the replacement LED’s do you think they make a difference?
Basicly, does anyone have any good ideas to prevent this?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
I would be surprised if rear end collisions didn’t account for 75% of all collisions in the world 😉

Sponsored

gp1200x

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT500,C8-Z51, 2023 Lariat Lux 4K Co360
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
One thing I suspect with Hybrids is one pedal driving. Ford did not put a simple $25 part in the hybrids that would engage the brake lights when the vehicle is regen braking like most other hybrids and EV’s do. Maybe the NHTSA will pick up on this and order a recall.
Couple of questions for the group.
I doubt it .....this would be equivalent to those with standard transmissions in many cars and esp. sports cars where the engine is heavy used at times to slow the car down and only brake at the end...I am always watching those behind my car to make sure I have no tailgaters.... which are really becoming an issue with the current crop of poor drivers. I notice many drivers are so close to my rear end nowadays that I can't even see their front bumper and that is a serious issue. They would never stop in time if I hit my brakes harder than normal.

IHateSpeedbumps

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I'm simply saying why not use your brake pads to stop?
Because that is not how hybrids are designed. You are supposed to use the regenerative braking to meet the fuel efficiency. You still use rhe brakes to actually stop though.

Robert C

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Ranger
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Because that is not how hybrids are designed. You are supposed to use the regenerative braking to meet the fuel efficiency. You still use rhe brakes to actually stop though.
Oh my God, do you really believe the regenerative braking isn't done by the brakes? But only by putting your transmission into low and slowing down that way? With no brake light on and the car behind you wondering wtf is going on?
I think we answered the original posters question of why so many Mavericks are getting rear ended if this is a common belief.
BOTH braking and just slowing down without braking regenerate the brakes. Yes, putting it into low regenerates them even more but there's no reason to d do that and many reasons to not
"You still use the brakes to actually stop" - wow
Do you really have a Maverick? Are you driving it this way? Thinking it only regenerates the battery when you're using your transmission to slow down rather than the brakes?

Traegorn

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Trae
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.nerdandtie.com
Vehicle(s)
2011 Nissan Versa, 2023 Ford Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Oh my God, do you really believe the regenerative braking isn't done by the brakes? But only by putting your transmission into low and slowing down that way? With no brake light on and the car behind you wondering wtf is going on?
I think we answered the original posters question of why so many Mavericks are getting rear ended if this is a common belief.
BOTH braking and just slowing down without braking regenerate the brakes.
"You still use the brakes to actually stop" - wow
Do you really have a Maverick? Are you driving it this way? Thinking it only regenerates the battery when you're using your transmission to slow down rather than the brakes?
Regenerative braking is triggered by the brake pedal, but it's done by the electric motor and not the disk brakes.

A lot of people are talking past each other in this thread for sure.

Robert C

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Ranger
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Regenerative braking is triggered by the brake pedal, but it's done by the electric motor and not the disk brakes.

A lot of people are talking past each other in this thread for sure.
Well of course.
But I think we hit on something here. Why people are getting rear-ended. Are they thinking to use the brakes as little as possible?
Sponsored