Sponsored

Which do you think will have less problems/ better longevity the hybrid or eco boost?

DryHeat

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
DryHeat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Patriot
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

clippedwings

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Transit Connect
I don’t think enough folks consider the fallibility of those batteries when they go with current technology. I have been dealing with Li batteries for several years in RC aircraft. They are expensive, and have a limited life - depending upon how they are stored and used. Available power also slowly diminishes. There comes a point where they can still function, but don’t have enough energy left to fly an aircraft They also have a risk factor. More than one structure has been burned down or damaged by small Li batteries that have spontaneously ignited (some people have probably heard of accounts of cell phone batteries involved in incidents). My batteries are kept in a cast iron storage container, and steel ammo boxes, in case they should ignite when no one is around. This is not to say I wouldn’t go with a hybrid at present, but because of the time spent dealing with and managing Lithium batteries, I could not at present be totally trusting of them. My fear is probably not warranted, but I figure I’ll go with ICE technology for one more 5-year cycle before going electric in any form.

SpacemanSpiff

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tyreese
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-15 Eagle
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
They may be dogs but how many times have you heard someone brag about a Chevy or even a Ford going 200,000 plus miles.
To be fair, my Fords have exceeded 200,000 miles with the exception of two and only because they just haven't reached that mileage yet. One of them is well over 300,000 miles. I firmly believe that it is not the vehicle so much as it is the preventative maintenance - like the fat man that doesn't exercise, killing over at 50 - and the Jack LaLanne's of the world easily making it into their 90's.

Darnon

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I don’t think enough folks consider the fallibility of those batteries when they go with current technology. I have been dealing with Li batteries for several years in RC aircraft. They are expensive, and have a limited life - depending upon how they are stored and used. Available power also slowly diminishes. There comes a point where they can still function, but don’t have enough energy left to fly an aircraft They also have a risk factor. More than one structure has been burned down or damaged by small Li batteries that have spontaneously ignited (some people have probably heard of accounts of cell phone batteries involved in incidents). My batteries are kept in a cast iron storage container, and steel ammo boxes, in case they should ignite when no one is around. This is not to say I wouldn’t go with a hybrid at present, but because of the time spent dealing with and managing Lithium batteries, I could not at present be totally trusting of them. My fear is probably not warranted, but I figure I’ll go with ICE technology for one more 5-year cycle before going electric in any form.
Lithium batteries get sketchy if they're deep discharged or overcharged, but the battery monitor in a hybrid vehicle is more advanced than some hobbyist consumer cells. "Empty" as far as the state of charge monitor on the dash still has a 35% reserve. Likewise the battery never is 100% charged. So a hybrid battery has a pretty easy life that is part of what makes them last a decade or better.

Darnon

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Ford Maverick Hybrid - Clutch Disc instead of Torque Converter like the ones one the Ford Focus that kept failing.
The clutch disc on the hybrid doesn't engage and disengage. It's a failsafe if there's too much differential force for some reason between the transmission and ICE. Different usage than the DCT.

Sponsored

MDRN

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Maverick Lariat First Edition Hybrid Rapid Red
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
What specific parts in the 2.0EB are less durable than those in the 2.5L motor? Is there a metallurgy or heat treat issue with the connecting rods, pins or crankshaft? Or how about the OHC’s? Piston ring gaps closing on the 2.0EB as opposed to the 2.5 being naturally aspirated that can’t happen? What? Or is this all a bunch random guesses hoping that the option you bought was the right one?
Here is some reference that isn't opinion. It includes citations to check out more information as well. A well cited article is worth more than and "I think" any day (y)

https://auto.howstuffworks.com/are-hybrid-maintenance-costs-higher.htm

huunvubu

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It would seem this doesnt show any down side to the Hybrid. Maybe I can help.

Ford Maverick Hybrid - Clutch Disc instead of Torque Converter like the ones one the Ford Focus that kept failing.
Ford Maverick Hybrid - (1) $4,000 Battery Assy. That will only be replaced if it de-rates far enough to need warranty replacement.
Ford Maverick Hybrid - (1) $2,000 A/C Compressor system, but its driven by the $4,000 battery. In comparison the A/C compressor on the belt system $500

Ford Maverick Eco - No Transmission with CVT Belts? Im not sure where this was going. But its a true 8 speed so it doesnt have that either.

So that leaves the Starter, Alternator, Belts, and Turbo.

Ill take the $1,500 itll cost me to fix all of those at once compared to one A/C.
Turbo $875. Belts $35. Alternator $375. Starter $210
Do you feel better with your overinflated repair/replacement cost projections and failure rates.

MavrickEcoBoost

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Do you feel better with your overinflated repair/replacement cost projections and failure rates.
You’re the one who wanted to over inflate Hybrid. Figure it would be best to see everything on a flat plane. Next time be better.

huunvubu

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Here is some reference that isn't opinion. It includes citations to check out more information as well. A well cited article is worth more than and "I think" any day (y)

Quote from Article: Because hybrids cost more up front than standard cars of similar size, buyers debate whether the higher gas mileage really saves people money.

That statement is wrong for the Maverick as the Hybrid costs $1085 less than the EcoBoost.

So that makes a Hybrid purchase even a better option.

huunvubu

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
You’re the one who wanted to over inflate Hybrid. Figure it would be best to see everything on a flat plane. Next time be better.
You are the one clearly over inflating costs.

Ford Maverick Hybrid - (1) $4,000 Battery Assy. That will only be replaced if it de-rates far enough to need warranty replacement.

The good news is that most manufacturers have reduced the price of a replacement hybrid battery. In the early days of hybrids, the batteries could cost as much as $8,000. Today, expect to pay just over $2,000.

Sponsored

clippedwings

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Transit Connect
A very comforting article. Thanks. Still going ICE this time around though - if I ever get one! Hopefully, in another few years electric performance will be a bit more optimized for highway use (I’m mostly on highways).

Tulros

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Tulros
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Lux Lariat, AWD, 4k
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
"over inflated?" Did you price out the repair?? I can vouch for this guy. My hybrid AC compressor went out at 100k miles. It was a $3,000 job (would have been under $1,000 if non-hybrid)

MavrickEcoBoost

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
"over inflated?" Did you price out the repair?? I can vouch for this guy. My hybrid AC compressor went out at 100k miles. It was a $3,000 job (would have been under $1,000 if non-hybrid)
Thank you also I work at a Ford dealer in Parts and literally was looking at the parts catalog when putting those figures in. It is 100% accurate.

Brsbill

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 sta
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Tracking down a loose ground on the hybrid will be a nightmare.
Sponsored