Sponsored

Do you think XL trims will have a higher resale value over time?

Scott Asheville

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 AWD XLT ECO LUX CP360 HPR
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I realize everyone on this forum is going to totally dump on me for saying this, but it's what I'm thinking. Mavericks will have very good resale in the short term (2-3 years out), average resale in the medium term (4-7 years out), and horrific resale in the long term (7+).

My logic, and it's totally made up from thin air (which is why I expect to take so much grief), is that the short term is all about availability. The medium term is when plentiful newer and better Mavericks can be bought with MFG discounting (and also fleet sales coming onto the used market depresses resale value). And the long term is when nobody with a functioning brain will buy a used ICE vehicle when you can buy a new BEV vehicle for less.

That's my narrative, and I'm sticking to it officer. You can beat me with that stick, but you can't make me change my narrative.
Sponsored

bgn

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I don't think the XL will have the highest resale value. I think you're seeing higher prices right now because the XL hybrid is the right tool for the job for places where vehicles are abused until they stop functioning. Construction, airports, etc.

I imagine fleet managers are going crazy over replacing F-150s with Mavericks and going from 15-40 mpg for 24k or whatever the new hybrid XL is priced at.

Mavericksport

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
This might be a weird question, but my old subaru impreza hatchback was a 5 speed manual absolute base model, and after about 10 years I noticed it had a higher resale value both as a gross dollar amount and percentage against original MSRP to most of the other trims.

Because it seems most non-fleet Mavericks are being ordered/produced as an XLT or higher, I'm wondering if it will make the XL a bit more rare in the future. And even though it will have the least amount of features on paper, it will also be the lowest priced down the road giving a higher perceived budget value as it ages down the road for the budget used buyer. Of course the gross dollar amount will theoretically be less than the high trim counterparts, but I'm wondering if the percentage (resale:MSRP) will hold a bit better after depreciation 5 years down the road.

Just a thought/question and curious on your thoughts since the XL seems to be in relatively high demand vs low production as well as me always hearing even younger people say just give me a cheap truck. If the US ever did away with the chicken tax it might throw this entire discussion into flux, but manufacturers are still prioritizing higher margin builds and price markups over affordable vehicles. That's why even if/when competitors like the Toyota Stout are announced for US production, prices will never be cheaper than they are now, just as the 2024 was never going to be cheaper than the 2022 in the real world.
I think a hybrid will hold its value over a eco.. I would never buy a XL . Even at 1/2 price. Some people add all the extra stuff to the XL after buying. I love the extras in my Lariat. To each there own. I never would purchase a base model car or truck. That's just me. This is my opinion.

First Name
Colby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I think your manual Subaru held up as it got older because manual transmissions are cheaper to repair.

Over time the XL Hybrids should hold up the best because the Atkinson engine works at a lower compression ratio and the electric motor lessens the low end mechanical stress on the drivetrain.

Motorjunkie

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
73 vette, 71Fiat 850, 91 Mercedes 500SL, 2001 F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
This might be a weird question, but my old subaru impreza hatchback was a 5 speed manual absolute base model, and after about 10 years I noticed it had a higher resale value both as a gross dollar amount and percentage against original MSRP to most of the other trims.

Because it seems most non-fleet Mavericks are being ordered/produced as an XLT or higher, I'm wondering if it will make the XL a bit more rare in the future. And even though it will have the least amount of features on paper, it will also be the lowest priced down the road giving a higher perceived budget value as it ages down the road for the budget used buyer. Of course the gross dollar amount will theoretically be less than the high trim counterparts, but I'm wondering if the percentage (resale:MSRP) will hold a bit better after depreciation 5 years down the road.

Just a thought/question and curious on your thoughts since the XL seems to be in relatively high demand vs low production as well as me always hearing even younger people say just give me a cheap truck. If the US ever did away with the chicken tax it might throw this entire discussion into flux, but manufacturers are still prioritizing higher margin builds and price markups over affordable vehicles. That's why even if/when competitors like the Toyota Stout are announced for US production, prices will never be cheaper than they are now, just as the 2024 was never going to be cheaper than the 2022 in the real world.
I wondered the same thing when I bought my first new car. A 1987 Yugo. Didn't pan out.:ROFLMAO:

Sponsored

Waterick

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 Mav Lariat, '14 Prius, '83 'Stang, more...
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I think your manual Subaru held up as it got older because manual transmissions are cheaper to repair.

Over time the XL Hybrids should hold up the best because the Atkinson engine works at a lower compression ratio and the electric motor lessens the low end mechanical stress on the drivetrain.
Lessons stress on most everything except the CV axles. Electric torque and regenerative braking seem to be stressful in addition to any angles.

First Name
Colby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The longevity of the Prius is a good example of what I am referring to. Engine, transmission and brakes all have excellent durability thanks to the combination of an electric motor and ICE.

James K

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

I doubt it as I can't think of a reason someone would pay more for less on a utility vehicle. Now if the XL had a third pedal and all XLTs came with automatics it MIGHT be possible but I can't see someone opposed to the options you get with the XLT. Even my example of standard transmission is a poor example since fewer and fewer people even know how to drive a standard.

Old_Norm

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Norm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang Mach E 2023 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
My dad, mechanic and used car dealer, always said a used car fully loaded with accessories wouldn't necessarily sell for a higher price but it would sell quicker than the same car normally equipped.
Sponsored