Sponsored

Which do you think will have less problems/ better longevity the hybrid or eco boost?

clavicus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Lux Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The guy who does the videos for Weber State Univ. describes how it works in the Toyota hybrids. If I understand it, he says it provides a damping function between the ICE and the electric side when there is sudden acceleration of one part of the system.

The damping springs look pretty much like they do in a regular clutch, but the pressure plate is under a constant fixed pressure and is never "operated" like it is in a regular transmission. So the springs damp the vibration and the clutch plate can "slip" if the torque difference is enough to overcome the set pressure.

3rd Generation Toyota Hybrid (eCVT) Transaxles - YouTube
Thanks that explanation is better context for me.
Sponsored

Vulcan9988

First Name
Caleb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger
I still haven’t read a reply that says the 2.5L/Hybrid system is more reliable than the 2.0EB engine. Where is the FORD only evidence? We aren’t buying a Toyota, a Honda or any other make of vehicle. So far, the only credible info is from a Ford parts person. Everything is just conjecture.
Go look at the fusion hybrids theyre notorious for getting 250k-300k miles on them plus factor that against the eco boost being turbo driven which may not shorten the life but my but id be suprised to find any of fords vehicles with the 2.0 ecoboost matching the repeated success of the fusion hybrids, and that is the same hybrid going in the maverick its just being made in house now.

Uncartha56

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota
Man a lot of fire in this forum, not sure what I am about to get as I am not a car engine grease monkey, but I would like to ask…
Now I have the hybrid on order I am mainly looking into an option that will have the most longevity, I have been going back and forth on the eco boost. How long can eco boost engine last? Am I understanding this right?
Hybrid: Better chance at longer lasting engine with less repair that is higher
Eco boost: shorter life engine with more repairs, but that can be cheaper over the life of the truck?
I never had a turbocharged engine and sounds like fun to have one. The hybrid seems good as I would be dumping less gas in it and I do not really have a need for the 4 wheel drive, but I want this sweet pea for years as I do not want to lease anymore what say you all…….(runs and hides behind a desk as the fight starts)
Thanks all!!!!

New2AZ

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic EX Hatchback
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It's a $22-35k vehicle. I want it to be built well and last, but I don't usually keep a car for more than 4-5 years. Longevity isn't a big issue, I just want it to be reliable, comfortable, and good on gas while I own or lease it. It does sound like either engine should be just fine for the long-haul though. I think the bigger question is how will the body hold up? (Sorry if this has been said before, can't be bothered to go back through the other 5 pages of replies)

Sponsored

TMFord

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
They will both be great if properly maintained and not abused. Statistically, the hybrid will win over the long haul because nobody is going to tune or race those.

Uncartha56

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota
They will both be great if properly maintained and not abused. Statistically, the hybrid will win over the long haul because nobody is going to tune or race those.
That’s true good news is for me the eco would just be the “fun factor” and maybe the possibility lower maintenance cost BUT really with the hybrid only a 1 second off when it comes to exhilaration and you could say your trading cost in gas vs repair.
eco: more gas les cost repair
Hybrid: less gas more repair
Lolz guess it would just boils down to where I would like to place the money xD

Fish Chris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Prius LE, Ford F150
What specific parts in the 2.0EB are less durable than those in the 2.5L motor? Is there a metallurgy or heat treat issue with the connecting rods, pins or crankshaft? Or how about the OHC’s? Piston ring gaps closing on the 2.0EB as opposed to the 2.5 being naturally aspirated that can’t happen? What? Or is this all a bunch random guesses hoping that the option you bought was the right one?
Here's something you might not have considered. In a Hybrid vehicle, probably 1/3rd of the time your out driving it, the ICE is not even running. So let's say you put 300K miles on it, the motor was only working 200K miles of that.
For this same reason, hybrids typically have longer intervals between oil changes as well. For my Prius, oil changes are only required once ever 10K miles. I change it at 8K miles anyway.

docsmith1511

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mav XLT LUX velocity blue
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Just wait until those hybrid parts break, and they will. You'll find that there are not generics, they cost a fortune and many mechanics won't touch them. This is coming from a current hybrid owner.
I had an inverter leak from the charger/inverter units. Both parts were $5,000 each... OEM only, no generic. Have fun with that.
I have had my 2009 Ford Escape Hybrid since March 2009, I have 100k miles and have lived in New Orleans, San Diego, and Massachusetts. I have only replaced rotors, and I think the 2.5 Atkinson engine is the same one in the Mav. My Mav will replace my Escape Hybrid.

docsmith1511

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mav XLT LUX velocity blue
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I still haven’t read a reply that says the 2.5L/Hybrid system is more reliable than the 2.0EB engine. Where is the FORD only evidence? We aren’t buying a Toyota, a Honda or any other make of vehicle. So far, the only credible info is from a Ford parts person. Everything is just conjecture.
I currently drive a 2009 Ford Escape Hybrid that uses a 2.5 Atkinson engine over a 100k miles, lived in very temperature extremes, only had to replace rotors.

Sponsored

MattIngram

First Name
Deleteme
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Deleteme
Honestly I think it will be a toss up. Hybrid engine will be stressed less, but the hybrid also has an additional system that adds a number of subsystems (eCVT, battery, switches, cooling system etc).

The other thing to think about is what are the cost of repairs? Once out of warranty, even if the Hybrid has fewer issues, one electric AC unit is typically $2500-3k to replace, vs $1000 on a standard ICE vehicle. Replacing the HVB is going to be on the same cost level as replacing an engine or transmission. A lot of those high millage Hybrid taxies you read about in NY have had their HVB replaced at least once.

The other thing in the back of my mind is I wonder how this will effect the used market, am I going to get significantly less when I go to trade in an 8 year old Hybrid Maverick vs an Ecoboost Maverick?

Having said all of that... I ordered a Hybrid Maverick! We will see if the gamble pays off.
Probably won’t get much for either after 8 years. This is still the replacement for the lower end of Ford’s economy segment. Ford gets props for making it fun but eventually depreciation always wins.

MaverickHybrid

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mav
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mav Hybrid XL
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The hybrid will go at least twice as long as the EB, only and only if Ford fixed the known EB issues.

Maverick2022XL

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
name
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL, AWD, 4K tow, 2.0L EcoBoost
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
For craps and giggles I did a cost analysis of if a hybrid vs gas is actually more cost efficient long term from a fuel spending standpoint if you hold your hybrid long enough that you have to replace the high voltage battery.

Keep in mind these assume the following.
The hybrid battery will have to be replaced at 10 year / 300k miles due to natural discharge which btw is not covered under warranty.
The hybrid replacement battery costs somewhere between $2500 - $3000.
This also doesn't factor in trim and vehicle price.
This assumes each tank is filled to 15 gallons and 12k miles travelled per year.
Assumes a constant $3 per gallon of gas @ 87 octane
Assumes the hybrid is getting 37 MPG combined and the 2.0L ecoboost is 26 MPG combined
All values rounded down
This also doesn't assume cold weather driving which drop your fuel efficiency on a hybrid by about 8%.

Fuel over a 10 year period for a hybrid will run ~$9450
Fuel over a 10 year period for a 2.0L ecoboost will run ~ $13,500

So that is $4050 savings running a hybrid assuming no battery replacement. Then somewhere between $1550 - $1050 if you do in year 10.

Now lets assume the battery goes in 8 years
Your fuel is $7560 vs $10800 and a $3240 difference w/o replacing the battery.
Battery replacement that savings is anywhere between $740 and $240.

So end result to get the max savings on fuel you want to get out of your hybrid before the battery goes but even if you don't you should still be net ahead of a gas only 2.0L ecoboost.

Last edited:

Delzona

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Breakout, 21 Road King Special, 22 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
For craps and giggles I did a cost analysis of if a hybrid vs gas is actually more cost efficient long term from a fuel spending standpoint if you hold your hybrid long enough that you have to replace the high voltage battery.

Keep in mind these assume the following.
The hybrid battery will have to be replaced at 10 year / 300k miles due to natural discharge which btw is not covered under warranty.
The hybrid replacement battery costs somewhere between $2500 - $3000.
This also doesn't factor in trim and vehicle price.
This assumes each tank is filled to 15 gallons and 12k miles travelled per year.
Assumes a constant $3 per gallon of gas @ 87 octane
Assumes the hybrid is getting 37 MPG combined and the 2.0L ecoboost is 26 MPG combined
All values rounded down
This also doesn't assume cold weather driving which drop your fuel efficiency on a hybrid by about 8%.

Fuel over a 10 year period for a hybrid will run ~$9450
Fuel over a 10 year period for a 2.0L ecoboost will run ~ $13,500

So that is $4050 savings running a hybrid assuming no battery replacement. Then somewhere between $1550 - $1050 if you do in year 10.

Now lets assume the battery goes in 8 years
Your fuel is $7560 vs $10800 and a $3240 difference w/o replacing the battery.
Battery replacement that savings is anywhere between $740 and $240.

So end result to get the max savings on fuel you want to get out of your hybrid before the battery goes but even if you don't you should still be net ahead of a gas only 2.0L ecoboost.
Very interesting thoughts. The only thing that comes to my mind is your battery replacement price, which could change dramatically in a 10 year period. From what I've seen on the Maverick changing out the battery does look very doable, however in 10 years I might not be in a "doable" frame of mind! 😁 I'm hoping that battery prices will continue to drop as they become more wide spread for vehicles. I also hope there's some type of standardized battery pack that would make changing them out much easier.
Sponsored