Sponsored

Do you think XL trims will have a higher resale value over time?

710-oil-614

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Cal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Tremor XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Add-ons, like floor mats, tonneau covers and mud flaps usually add nothing to the price of a trade-in, or sale to CARVANA, etc.
That is why when I have a vehicle like the Maverick where I've done some light but good upgrades (and even more like ceramic window tint, fog lights, rust protection) and I keep all of the original parts that were replaced - I like to sell it privately to someone who appreciates (if not with their $) the upgrades they are getting and the care that was taken on the vehicle.

That being said - the next owner of my Maverick will be my son.
Sponsored

710-oil-614

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Cal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Tremor XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
My poverty edition may be more exclusive than a Tremor.
Doubtful on the exclusivity. Even with limited XL hybrids produced in 2022 there were 0 Tremors. Tremors have also been under ordered and did not meet the allocation Ford had for them in MY23. I'm not sure about MY24 but based on the price increase I doubt many people ordered them, including dealers for stock.

Joe Strummer

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Maverick XLT Tremor
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

The most important factors in determining resale value are (1) milage, (2) maintenance history and (3) crash history. I wouldn't fret over trim.

colinl

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Colin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Maverick Lariat AWD, '22 Bronco OBX 2-Door
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

No hate, didn't mean it that way. The XL is just affectionately known as such. I refer to my old beat up road bike as my poverty pony (from bikesdirect.com).
I just laughed. There's no question that an XL is a better value-per-dollar than my lariat, but I like all that crap. :ROFLMAO:

djw479

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Mav Lariat Lux / '90 ZR-1 / '03 Yamaha V-Max
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Who knows what the used vehicle market will be in 5 years. I bought a Hybrid Lariat because I wanted higher MPGs and like all the doohickeys.

But to the OPs question on will the XL be worth more percentage-wise. Does anyone have any idea of how many XLs have been sold via fleet sales to companies & gov't entities? I occasionally see Mavs with company signage locally, and have seen a few pics here on MTC of rows and rows of them at dealerships. So there maybe more XLs out there than we think.

Sponsored

ianjay

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Maverick Lariat Hybrid , 2008 Ford Ranger
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I've had four Rangers of various trims levels (base 4 cyl/4spd) to XLT SuperCab. My current Ranger is a pretty basic 2008 SuperCab. For me, what truck held it's value best must be compared to which one I enjoyed the most. And that would be the XLT because it had the nicest interior and all options. I didn't buy any to maximize resale.
I had a 23 XLT Hybrid and ordered a 24 Lariat Hybrid which has just arrived. I don't care too much about resale because I will be spending my time using the truck, not being concerned about how much it might be worth later on. Rarity improving value might work on specialty cars. But really, depreciation is just a natural aspect of owning a vehicle.

DinoLord

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 XL EB AWD
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Percentage-wise, yes.
Actual value? No, an XL will not be worth more than an upgraded trim.

F50

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 XL Hybrid Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
This might be a weird question, but my old subaru impreza hatchback was a 5 speed manual absolute base model, and after about 10 years I noticed it had a higher resale value both as a gross dollar amount and percentage against original MSRP to most of the other trims.

Because it seems most non-fleet Mavericks are being ordered/produced as an XLT or higher, I'm wondering if it will make the XL a bit more rare in the future. And even though it will have the least amount of features on paper, it will also be the lowest priced down the road giving a higher perceived budget value as it ages down the road for the budget used buyer. Of course the gross dollar amount will theoretically be less than the high trim counterparts, but I'm wondering if the percentage (resale:MSRP) will hold a bit better after depreciation 5 years down the road.

Just a thought/question and curious on your thoughts since the XL seems to be in relatively high demand vs low production as well as me always hearing even younger people say just give me a cheap truck. If the US ever did away with the chicken tax it might throw this entire discussion into flux, but manufacturers are still prioritizing higher margin builds and price markups over affordable vehicles. That's why even if/when competitors like the Toyota Stout are announced for US production, prices will never be cheaper than they are now, just as the 2024 was never going to be cheaper than the 2022 in the real world.
In general, the base models usually depreciate at the lowest % rate. The highest trim will depreciate with the highest %. This is not always true, but its usually the case with most model vehicles.

Waterick

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 Mav Lariat, '14 Prius, '83 'Stang, more...
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

The trucks themselves will probably all depreciate equally. But the cost of the extras on higher priced trims will likely depreciate faster. So XLT & Lariat trucks may resell for more, but lose a higher percentage of what they originally cost, vs an XL.

Add-ons, like floor mats, tonneau covers and mud flaps usually add nothing to the price of a trade-in, or sale to CARVANA, etc.
Down the road, (more years than most will keep). The XL could end up more desirable due to being more troublefree because of fewer bells and whistles. The earlier base generation Rangers with the 4 cylinder and manual transmission are in more demand today than the problematic V6's and automatics. Had little to actually do with trim level other than most XL's were equipped this way.

Certain add-ons can add indirect value by improving the condition. Carpets are nice, bed looks like new, paint and upholstery very good, all from floor mats, bed mats, tonneau/topper, mud flaps and seat covers. Near term, I don't see the XL commanding more value than the other trims. I do see it retaining more of it's original value if properly cared for. It was and is just such a good value to be begin with. Just my opinion.

Sponsored

Waterick

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 Mav Lariat, '14 Prius, '83 'Stang, more...
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

My XL has ACC - that might fetch more than an XLT to the right buyer
🤷‍♂️

Let's check back in 5 years and see where we're all at - only thing for sure is that we won't be fetching over MSRP like flippers were during 2022 thru part of '23.
The way prices are jumping, I don't think that's a sure thing either!

TwoTone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tig
Engine
Undecided
This might be a weird question, but my old subaru impreza hatchback was a 5 speed manual absolute base model, and after about 10 years I noticed it had a higher resale value both as a gross dollar amount and percentage against original MSRP to most of the other trims.

Because it seems most non-fleet Mavericks are being ordered/produced as an XLT or higher, I'm wondering if it will make the XL a bit more rare in the future. And even though it will have the least amount of features on paper, it will also be the lowest priced down the road giving a higher perceived budget value as it ages down the road for the budget used buyer. Of course the gross dollar amount will theoretically be less than the high trim counterparts, but I'm wondering if the percentage (resale:MSRP) will hold a bit better after depreciation 5 years down the road.

Just a thought/question and curious on your thoughts since the XL seems to be in relatively high demand vs low production as well as me always hearing even younger people say just give me a cheap truck. If the US ever did away with the chicken tax it might throw this entire discussion into flux, but manufacturers are still prioritizing higher margin builds and price markups over affordable vehicles. That's why even if/when competitors like the Toyota Stout are announced for US production, prices will never be cheaper than they are now, just as the 2024 was never going to be cheaper than the 2022 in the real world.
The key word you've missed in 3 paragraphs "Manual".

Subaru owners wants manuals, so they hold their value better. When we bought the wife's 2011 Legacy, we had to drive 3.5 hours to get one in a manual.

A.Bursell

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I think there are two different things being discussed here. Higher Resale Value and Retaining Value. There are more things to car value than that of course - mileage, condition, etc. But if we assume everything condition wise is exactly the same between two trucks, then the higher trim with more options would probably be the higher value 99% of the time. But that also means that the lowest trim with least options will retain value more 99% of the time too. If you think about it, the guy who gets no options only loses value on the "truck," while the higher optioned vehicle loses value on all the options as well.

Of course there are always exceptions.

And probably once you get to something like 10-years old none of this matters anyway because most people don't care at that point is my guess.

Houndmav

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Just remember when you spend 40k on a maverick you are still getting a 25k truck.

TheShark

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Maverick Lariat Tremor, 2023 Bronco Wildtrak
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Remember the good old pre-covid days when you would drive virtually any new car out of the showroom and immediately loose $$$$. That's what the world is coming back too. Buy what makes you happy and what your pocketbook can afford and don't worry about 5 years down the line. It is what it is.
Sponsored