Colin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Maverick Lariat AWD, '22 Bronco OBX 2-Door
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I wouldn't start an amp, unless you're gutting it. And because you can't opt-out of B&O if you want adaptive cruise, there could be some folks replacing the whole thing immediately rather than doing piecemeal upgrades over time.

After listening to a number of vehicles recently, I think Ford did a fairly decent job with the imaging in stereo mode. It's using the center and while I've chirped about the dash tweeters, it actually does have good ambience and it gives a fairly decent soundstage in stereo mode. It gives a better soundstage than the Bose audio in my previous vehicle, a Mazda CX-9, by far. It's vastly inferior to the best I've heard which used to be the XC90's B&W system but a friend just bought a Cherokee with the McIntosh system and I was really impressed. I have not heard the B&O Unleashed in an F-150 but I have heard late model regular B&O in an F-150 and it's a lot louder than the Maverick, but the midbass 60-80 hz is overdone and the 8" sub is underwhelming, it can't play low at all. (Same sub in my Bronco. Same boomy midbass, too.)

Back to Maverick B&O.. The door speakers aren't great and it's not really feasible to replace only them, so might as well replace the tweeters also. I ran Focal mids with (stock) B&O tweeters for months and the B&O aren't bad at moderate volume say 12-15. They get a bit shrill and harsh at 25+ volume. I have to believe Darnon on the center recommendation because I haven't done anything yet. I will probably buy some 4ohm resistors and try running a replacement center at 4 ohm and then 8 ohm or 12 if necessary to tame it. (Stock is 8 ohm.) Hope there's space under the center for the resistors, we'll see.

I would do a powered sub or custom sub + amp first. Then door speakers. Then center and finally rear speakers. I would personally only replace the amp if you want to use front components that need a whole lot of power, say 75-100+ wrms. That's my plan at this point, at least.
Sponsored

JG307

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
@Darnon @colinl

I think the plan that's slowly taking shape on my mind is to get an HS10 and see how I feel about the sound. If I work up the courage to start popping panels, I'll do the center as the system seems to rely pretty heavily on it. I don't want to touch the tweeters, so I guess I'll leave the doors alone too.

I have lots of experience with home audio and built a few bookshelf speakers from kits, but zero experience with car mods (of any kind) and I'm terrified I'll break or scuff something on my beautiful new truck. 😅

OP
OP
Darnon

Darnon

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
With the JBLs being 3-ohm I went with ordering 150hz@4ohm rated filter caps. Annoying they didn't list the capacitance value but luckily they ended up being 235uf which is about right where I was looking for. The math says that should start rolling off -6db@225hz. Overall bass response still sounds good so far without setting the door panel buzzing on a few songs I could think of to try.

JG307

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
So I got my HS10 installed a two days ago, started with recommended crossover, modest gain, and flat head unit EQ. I was very underwhelmed. So I've been fussing with the settings since, listening to lots of music and frequency sweeps, and here's what I've learned.

The stock system performs pretty decent with all EQ sliders in default position, and actually getting quite low, EXCEPT for a pretty nasty peak around 100Hz. This might be intentional as that's where you're supposed to perceive "punchy bass".

With the goal of smoothing this out, I turned the bass control of the head unit down 2-3 clicks, set the sub crossover around 90Hz, upped the gain a bit, and used just a touch of the sub's "bass boost" feature.

This all really helped smooth out that peak at 100Hz and it sounds (to my ear-- this is all by ear-- has anyone actually measured?) pretty solid down to about 40Hz but it drops off real fast after that.

I like the way it sounds but I'm definitely disappointed I'm not able to get the sub-bass I was hoping for. The HS10 spec sheet says it plays down to 25Hz but in my observations, there's no way that measurement was taken at +/-3dB (as would be industry standard). Maybe it just needs to break in a little? Or maybe I should just stop comparing it to the subs I've had before, in large, vented enclosures. 😅

All in all, an easy upgrade with satisfactory, but not stellar results. Thanks for all your help @Darnon @colinl @Gullzway and hopefully my experience can help others out there too!

colinl

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Colin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

So I got my HS10 installed a two days ago, started with recommended crossover, modest gain, and flat head unit EQ. I was very underwhelmed. So I've been fussing with the settings since, listening to lots of music and frequency sweeps, and here's what I've learned.

The stock system performs pretty decent with all EQ sliders in default position, and actually getting quite low, EXCEPT for a pretty nasty peak around 100Hz. This might be intentional as that's where you're supposed to perceive "punchy bass".

With the goal of smoothing this out, I turned the bass control of the head unit down 2-3 clicks, set the sub crossover around 90Hz, upped the gain a bit, and used just a touch of the sub's "bass boost" feature.

This all really helped smooth out that peak at 100Hz and it sounds (to my ear-- this is all by ear-- has anyone actually measured?) pretty solid down to about 40Hz but it drops off real fast after that.

I like the way it sounds but I'm definitely disappointed I'm not able to get the sub-bass I was hoping for. The HS10 spec sheet says it plays down to 25Hz but in my observations, there's no way that measurement was taken at +/-3dB (as would be industry standard). Maybe it just needs to break in a little? Or maybe I should just stop comparing it to the subs I've had before, in large, vented enclosures. 😅

All in all, an easy upgrade with satisfactory, but not stellar results. Thanks for all your help @Darnon @colinl @Gullzway and hopefully my experience can help others out there too!
That actually would meet my expectations. Depending on the way the HS10 woofer is constructed it could have some break-in period and might sound differently after 20-30 hours. But a very low profile 10" I wouldn't expect to play overly low regardless of powered sub or even in a constructed box.

Yes on the 100hz-ish boom. I tweaked mine a lot and initially I had the bass level all the way down, but now I'm around 2-3 below neutral (middle) like you said. I also have the treble attenuated 3 notches.

One thing I would suggest would be using Kicker's 20hz-20khz sweep tone to check for resonance and level. I think it sweeps a little faster than I'd prefer, but it's better than nothing. You can download it here (under the KeyLOC section):
https://www.kicker.com/test-tones

I just bought a calibrated mic and was going to do some realtime analysis with that sweep tone as well as various types of music, but I have family in town so it might be a bit. I am not anywhere near stock other than the B&O amp and the sync3 unit but I what I find still might be useful to the group at large.

Sponsored

JG307

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I just bought a calibrated mic and was going to do some realtime analysis with that sweep tone as well as various types of music, but I have family in town so it might be a bit. I am not anywhere near stock other than the B&O amp and the sync3 unit but I what I find still might be useful to the group at large.
Have you had time to bust out that calibrated mic yet? FWIW my Kicker definitely did benefit from some break-in time, I'm now very happy with my system for the minimal effort and money invested!

colinl

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Colin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I did! I'm finding it hard to share what I see, though. I'm using Audio Tool which is a decent app on Android, but not like a more costly RTA you can get for windows/mac.

It would be nice log everything then use Excel to look at the raw data, but I can for sure draw some conclusions about what the factory tone controls do. How much gain, approximate Q, center frequency, etc.

I'll post separately about it, eventually. Darnon's thread is a great place for the overall B&O DIY upgrades and I think it should stay on that topic. :)

Inslomo808

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 maverick lariat 4k tow package
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
What harness can be used to bypass the b&o amp to use an aftermarket amp with out having to splice into the factory harness? And what amp would you recommend? Ty in advance

colinl

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Colin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

What harness can be used to bypass the b&o amp to use an aftermarket amp with out having to splice into the factory harness? And what amp would you recommend? Ty in advance
the audio module has a A2B digital output. not sure if it's here or in another thread but there's basically 3 options (and I've not done any of them):

Nav Zen - $780
PAC AmpPro - $440ish
Axxess AXDSPX-A2B2 $490

I did see that plugnplaykits has a T harness and shows a system diagram. If you're considering it, I'd suggest contacting them and asking if that harness intercepts and would allow you to amplify the center and rear channels, or if they remain powered by the ACIM. (The B&O amp powers the dash tweeter, door 6.5" and B&O 6x9 sub. Does not amplify the center and rear speakers.)
https://plugnplaykits.com/products/fd31-interface-for-the-2018-and-up-with-b-o-premium-sound

Ford Maverick Upgrading the Maverick B&O Sound System - DIY Howto pac a2b

Aaron F

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Lariat Lux w/ 4k and BAP
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Sponsored

haze10

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Maverick Lariat Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Is there a trick to removing the left and right dash tweeter covers. Found only one youtube video of it, and the guy said he broke the clips on each one. Any advice?

colinl

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Colin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Is there a trick to removing the left and right dash tweeter covers. Found only one youtube video of it, and the guy said he broke the clips on each one. Any advice?
plastic trim removal tools are a must. get a set from Amazon.

then detach the lower half of the a pillar cover. it goes through the tweeter grille so it has to undo first. after that just pry carefully and where there's a lot of resistance that's a clip.

there could be pics somewhere of the tweet grille removed, but I unfortunately didn't take any myself.

haze10

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Maverick Lariat Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Reading a little about sealed enclosures vs infinite volume. From what I'm reading a sealed enclosure makes the bass 'tighter' and more true to the original music while the infinite volume makes it more 'booming'. Since this threaded started out with discussion of the Dayton Audio DCS165-4 6-1/2" being retrofitted into the original 'infinite volume' Maverick enclosure I was wondering what would be the result of putting this speaker in a sealed enclosure. Several sites have recommended a enclosure volume of 0.2 to 0.25 cubic feet, which is small enough to fit in the original space behind the seat.

Need an audiophile to help explain the differences and if a sealed enclosure is better or worse for the Maverick.

TruckPrius

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Maverick Lariat Lux CP360 Assist
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Reading a little about sealed enclosures vs infinite volume. From what I'm reading a sealed enclosure makes the bass 'tighter' and more true to the original music while the infinite volume makes it more 'booming'. Since this threaded started out with discussion of the Dayton Audio DCS165-4 6-1/2" being retrofitted into the original 'infinite volume' Maverick enclosure I was wondering what would be the result of putting this speaker in a sealed enclosure. Several sites have recommended a enclosure volume of 0.2 to 0.25 cubic feet, which is small enough to fit in the original space behind the seat.

Need an audiophile to help explain the differences and if a sealed enclosure is better or worse for the Maverick.
Are you referring to this thread?

OP
OP
Darnon

Darnon

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Maverick enclosure I was wondering what would be the result of putting this speaker in a sealed enclosure. Several sites have recommended a enclosure volume of 0.2 to 0.25 cubic feet, which is small enough to fit in the original space behind the seat.
If you're at the point of fabricating a whole new enclosure then just put a real 8+" subwoofer in or one of the slim all-in-one units.
Sponsored