Darnon

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
What's a fancy sound system without throwing more money at it? The stock B&O setup is 'okay' if a little thin especially if you want more bass authority. So here's my effortpost from replacing nearly all the speakers. I'll defer to the existing writeups on removal/replacement. Only addition is the center channel where the panel just unclips and is retained by two 7mm socket screws.

The stock lineup, although I didn't grab pictures of all of them

Front: 6.5". Much more substantial than the lower trims magnet-wise, but otherwise fairly standard paper cone woofers. No ratings markings, but they meter as 4-ohm (3.7)

Ford Maverick Upgrading the Maverick B&O Sound System - DIY Howto BOfrtspeaker

Dash tweeters: Similar design to the lower trims except the bass blocker capacitor is mostly enclosed by the plastic housing. No ratings. Measured on the low end of 4-ohms at 3.4.

Center: 3-1/2“, 12.5W @ 8-ohm.

Rear: 4", 25W @ 4-ohm. Has a filter cap attached but too enclosed to read.
Ford Maverick Upgrading the Maverick B&O Sound System - DIY Howto BOrearspeaker

I didn't bother pulling the stock subwoofer since I planned on leaving it in place while supplementing it.

Running off the B&O amp is the front door woofers, rear subwoofer, and most interestingly the front dash tweeters on what's normally the rear. If you want to run a bi-amp Kicker Key and upgraded sub as I did then your outputs are all conveniently in one spot with minimal new wiring required. PAC's APH-FD02 wiring harness matches up although it does require a bit of trimming on the connectors as the center rib is offset slightly. If you're doing a bi-amp Key remember that the tweeters go on the AMP1 channel so you'll be effectively wiring the rear channels (green/purple) of the adapter to the front (white/grey) input of the Key.

Now I couldn't find anything definitive on if the Key can use 4-channel input in bi-amp, and I don't have a fancy spectrum analyzer to verify if the B&O outputs were full range. That said when I tried the Key with both inputs connected and fader on it finally sounded "right".

The transplant list
JBL GTO609C component set for the front. I used one of the tweeter mounts included plus a little bit of 3M tape to get them to sit snugly in the stock spots.
Sony Xplod 4x6" in the rear. Not exactly a high-tier choice but an improvement for cheap. I could have printed something up but I got them mounted sturdy trimming off the 4" stock plastic bracket and screwing to the remaining posts.
JBL WS1000 compact 10" subwoofer in Atrend 10AME downfire enclosure. Fits nearly perfectly in the rear footwell. Limits seat movement rearward but matched my seating position. Hooked up to my trusty Pioneer GM-D601 mono amp. Gives some nice thump in the lumbar.
MB Quart FLB108 3-1/2“ for the center. The stock mounting location is a bit tight depending on speaker basket, but there's enough flex this tightened in. There also small alignment posts for stock that need to be removed (just snapped off easily). The vertical clearance here is limited so I had to cut the surround/grille off the MBs. These were another cheap pick especially since I only needed one. Decidedly clearer when boosting the midrange adjustment at least.
Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:

Dallas Maverick

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

So, how does it sound? I know it’s better, but how much?

OP
OP
Darnon

Darnon

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
So, how does it sound? I know it’s better, but how much?
Audio is kind of a personal preference thing so it's hard to quantify. I'd say the stock system was very front, center focused. Decent clarity on the treble and a bit of bass fullness from the sub, but start to push the midrange or bass and you quickly discover its limitations. Three ticks from the highest on the bass was as high as it'd go before the stock subwoofer started eliciting occasional clicking noises. There was a fine line on the midrange adjustment between bringing out rock guitars and getting muddy. Now it's more spacious and percussion gives some respectable bump.

bgn

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Awesome, thanks for the post. The upgraded audio was underwhelming, and I'm not an audiophile. The center speaker seems useless and it just sounds kind of awkward.

Sponsored

LeersMav

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Maximus GP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PriusV, Sonata PHEV, F-50 Mavrick Lariat Hybrid FE
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'm fine with the sound. Play radio, Pandora, iPhone music. All Sounds good to me. Like ya said, it's one own's audio preference.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Darnon

Darnon

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Here's the center speaker mounting area with the (slightly circumcised) MB Quart installed. I wouldn't be surprised if lower trims have this mounting location but the dash cover just isn't cut out since it's otherwise the same just the grille snaps on top.

Ford Maverick Upgrading the Maverick B&O Sound System - DIY Howto ctrspeakmount

Synthesyze

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I wish there was a way to experience a "good" sound system. I have just the stock sound system and to me it sounds great. I have no clue what I'm missing out on.

samesea2012

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
did you treat your door panels to prevent rattling from the door speakers? im having some trouble with the door panels "clicking" (plastic touching the metal) when certain freqencies play

bgn

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I wish there was a way to experience a "good" sound system. I have just the stock sound system and to me it sounds great. I have no clue what I'm missing out on.
Don't wish for that. You'll spend thousands upgrading everything you own. 😂

Sponsored

robb01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Go to your local car stereo shop, I'm sure they'll let you listen to one they're doing. Or alternatively, check out a coffee & cars, lots of guys with modified cars there too.

I used to have very nice stereos when I was younger, but it's been 15+ since I messed with upgrading. Having said that, the sound in my XL isn't terrible, but it is lacking crisp highs, midbass, and obv. low end. It just sounds muddy really.

I'm going to keep it fairly simple and do a component set up front, replace rear speakers, 2 channel amp for front comps, and a kicker HS10 to round out the bottom end. Looking at probably around a total of under $1,400 (having it professionally installed).

I'm planning on keeping this truck a long time, and might as well have a nicer sound system IMO

bgn

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

did you treat your door panels to prevent rattling from the door speakers? im having some trouble with the door panels "clicking" (plastic touching the metal) when certain freqencies play
I have the same exact issue and the reason why I've not taken it apart is because I'd like it to be fixed from Ford. I'm in touch with the dealer. Suggest you do the same if it bothers you like it bothers me.

stoptothink

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 VW jetta
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I was REALLY into car audio 15-20yrs ago, constantly changing components in my car and spending most weekends working on systems in friends' cars. A car is a terrible environment for sound, which is why I really don't care at this point. The stock base audio in the Maverick is not great (although better than the base audio in my VW jetta), but it doesn't really change the experience for my family; we'll still rock out when one of my kids' favorite songs comes on. I suspect the B&O system is a little louder with some semblance of lower range, but otherwise not much better. The upgraded Revel Ultima system in my buddy's Lincoln Navigator is pretty good, but absurdly expensive for what you get - I could think of thousands of better ways I'd rather spend an extra $7k.

Unless you spend a ton of time in the car or are a true audiophile. I suggest not going down the rabbit hole.