Sponsored

Upgrading 400W inverter possible?

TacoHolder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not Mav
2000W gas generator. The gold standard is the Honda at $1100, but there are some really nice units in the sub $500 price range. They are lightweight, portable and easy to use.
This is probably the best idea if you need more than 400W. Strap it down to the bed and carry it around if you need it consistently. Here's a 2300W "Ford" inverter generator for under $500. Design and reviews seem to indicate it is actually a rebranded Pulsar/Westinghouse, but at least you get the OEM look. But like the knowledgeable gentleman I quoted says, get the Honda if you can spare the cash.
Sponsored

Decayed

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
yes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a car
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Saw a video where the 12v outlet was ised for a Ranger pellet smoker/grill for tailgating. Thought that was a pretty cool use for bed outlet.
400 watts is plenty, provided you don't want to power something that heats up or runs a powerful motor like a chain saw or large compressor.

If you want to run something bigger, you can get one that runs 1000 or even 2000 watts on amazon. They aren't really expensive, particularly if you don't need a pure sine wave inverter. Given that you probably won't be using it while you are actually driving, they clamp directly to the battery and can draw pretty much as many amps as you need.

Decayed

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
yes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a car
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
This is probably the best idea if you need more than 400W. Strap it down to the bed and carry it around if you need it consistently. Here's a 2300W "Ford" inverter generator for under $500. Design and reviews seem to indicate it is actually a rebranded Pulsar/Westinghouse, but at least you get the OEM look. But like the knowledgeable gentleman I quoted says, get the Honda if you can spare the cash.

Those things regularly go on sale for just over $300.

grimkenpo

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Tahoe, 2022 Ford Maverick XL on order
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I bought this option in the XL hoping it came with the two USB ports seen in a Lariat I test drove at a dealership. I may well be mistaken.

Sponsored

FordRick

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick, Escape
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I hope it's okay to ask my question here. I have an XL, so no AC outlets included. Can I plug a low wattage AC inverter into the cigarette plug to charge my laptop? If so how many watts should the inverter be?

MostlySafeBear

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(Eventually) a Ford Truck
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I hope it's okay to ask my question here. I have an XL, so no AC outlets included. Can I plug a low wattage AC inverter into the cigarette plug to charge my laptop? If so how many watts should the inverter be?
Anything that you plug into the 12V power point(s) should be no more than 180 watts (12 volts DC times 15 amps) all together at any time, since (as far as I know) all the power points receive power from a single fuse.

Ford Maverick Upgrading 400W inverter possible? 1632783449585

mjkladis

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Tucson
I’d use that cubby hole more than the 400W power so I looking at either a 2000W generator or power station.

Dechion

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Kia Forte
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The one I have in my work van is 1200 watts. It charges multiple tools at once, can also run my key cutting machine, hammer drill, and other assorted tools.

I'll include a pic of my spare from the storeroom as well as the 2AWG wiring thats supposed to power it. (Roll of electric tape for size reference)

I don't have my Maverick yet so I can't test fit it into the spot the regular inverter goes behind the seat. (finally got a build date, so that's progress)

Assuming it will physically fit I will likely swap mine out for one of these at some point, but I'll be planning on upgrading the wiring at the same time.

One thing to watch out for is draining the battery if using a larger inverter with the vehicle not running. One of my coworkers ran his hammer drill and grinder long enough to cut off and re-drill sixteen 1/2 studs into 4 inchs of concrete and I had to come give him a jump afterwards.

Ford Maverick Upgrading 400W inverter possible? 20220725_064100

Darnon

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I don't have my Maverick yet so I can't test fit it into the spot the regular inverter goes behind the seat. (finally got a build date, so that's progress)
IIRC the inverter module is beneath the center console and the box behind the driver's side rear seat might be associated with the trailer hookup.

Sponsored

uh50

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.hchaney.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL, VB, 2.0 EB
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
The one I have in my work van is 1200 watts. It charges multiple tools at once, can also run my key cutting machine, hammer drill, and other assorted tools.

I'll include a pic of my spare from the storeroom as well as the 2AWG wiring thats supposed to power it. (Roll of electric tape for size reference)

Assuming it will physically fit I will likely swap mine out for one of these at some point, but I'll be planning on upgrading the wiring at the same time.

One thing to watch out for is draining the battery if using a larger inverter with the vehicle not running. One of my coworkers ran his hammer drill and grinder long enough to cut off and re-drill sixteen 1/2 studs into 4 inchs of concrete and I had to come give him a jump afterwards.

20220725_064100.jpg
Good info...thanks.

MakinDoForNow

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
You will not plug in a 400 or 700w inverter to a cigarette lighter. They pull too much power and will blow the fuse. A 400w will pull around 40a.
Note that the cigarette style power points are not rated to run a cigarette lighter which is why they are called power points and not cigarette lighter points.

NJBob

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick, 2003 MR2, 2019 Forrester, 1969 Z/28
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Hondas are the gold standard. But one at Harbor Frieght is half the cost and they work.

uh50

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.hchaney.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL, VB, 2.0 EB
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
There are a number of ways to increase the capabilities of AC power available in your truck. Here are a couple of excellent articles.

Add more batteries = larger inverter size. This makes me wonder how big the hybrid batteries are and what could be done with them as emergency power for the home. But to do have to consider the size of the Maverick's alternator.

Here is a diagram used in a Family Handyman article.

Ford Maverick Upgrading 400W inverter possible? 1658755710124

I like the idea of adding an optional battery and a isolation relay which helps to protect your truck's electrical system.

There are a number of web sites that offer guidance, and here are a couple that I like:

Hope this helps some. :cool:

FordRick

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick, Escape
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Anything that you plug into the 12V power point(s) should be no more than 180 watts (12 volts DC times 15 amps) all together at any time, since (as far as I know) all the power points receive power from a single fuse.

1632783449585.png
Thank you for the reply, I will buy an inverter to plug into power point. I don't require much power. Reading this entire thread gave me great info, maybe too much as my brain was starting to get twisted.
Sponsored