First Name
James
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 KIA FORTE 2002 CHEVY SILVERADO
Trim
XLT
Morning!

We ordered a new replacement turbo for the Maverick. Judging from the tuning and dyno results we are seeing there are many things holding the engine back from making any big power numbers, the turbo is definitely one of those!

We dropped the secondary cat yesterday in search of more power. This also proved what the exhaust did, the computer with the stock tune became even more unhappy cutting power back even more. After a change to the tune power came back and is more repeatable without so much heat being registered in the primary cat.

The turbo is small, smallest I've seen on a 2.0 engine. Explains the great response but also explains why it's tough to have large increases in power/torque/boost levels.

The turbo is being sent out to our turbo builder today, we've been working closely with and setting a lot of records with Forced Performance/Xona Rotor for many-many years. They are going to work some magic on this and by the time we get it back here our production exhausts, intercooler, downpipe etc., should all be done and available. It will fall right in place with everything. Turbos will then be available through us for the trucks.

Attached are some pictures.

IMG-0891.jpg

IMG-0892.jpg

IMG-0893.jpg

IMG-0894.jpg

IMG-0895.jpg
I may be way off base but u lose the pressure on a turbo through the exhaust and you lose power its the design its best with the pressure always has been yea maybe bigger turbo but then cost becomes a problem unless its just a racing application just my thoughts but like I said maybe I'm wrong. Times with technology have changed but back in the day running a pro stock maverick with the boss 429 stroked 460 crank pushing 900 horse Howard aluminum rods an at the time Nascar tunnel ram 2 dominator carbs i miss real racecars when your ear tuned it not a laptop.
Advertisement

OP
OP
Buschur

Buschur

XLT
First Name
David
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F150
Trim
XLT
I may be way off base but u lose the pressure on a turbo through the exhaust and you lose power its the design its best with the pressure always has been yea maybe bigger turbo but then cost becomes a problem unless its just a racing application just my thoughts but like I said maybe I'm wrong. Times with technology have changed but back in the day running a pro stock maverick with the boss 429 stroked 460 crank pushing 900 horse Howard aluminum rods an at the time Nascar tunnel ram 2 dominator carbs i miss real racecars when your ear tuned it not a laptop.
I don't understand what you are trying to say in the first three lines of that, sorry.

I was once a large displacement guy myself and then realized how much better smaller displacement turbo engines were, I'd never go back. Other than the sound and idling through a car show with a big ass engine and large duration cam, I'll pass. Now we can make 1000+ hp, drive to the grocery store, across country and get 20+ MPG with the a/c on.

Scaggdaddy

XLT
First Name
James
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Trim
XLT
I don't understand what you are trying to say in the first three lines of that, sorry.

I was once a large displacement guy myself and then realized how much better smaller displacement turbo engines were, I'd never go back. Other than the sound and idling through a car show with a big ass engine and large duration cam, I'll pass. Now we can make 1000+ hp, drive to the grocery store, across country and get 20+ MPG with the a/c on.
I get it I just hate the sound of a motor that sounds like a rubber band bout to break .

maverick4natic

XLT
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy HHR
Trim
XLT
Morning!

We ordered a new replacement turbo for the Maverick. Judging from the tuning and dyno results we are seeing there are many things holding the engine back from making any big power numbers, the turbo is definitely one of those!

We dropped the secondary cat yesterday in search of more power. This also proved what the exhaust did, the computer with the stock tune became even more unhappy cutting power back even more. After a change to the tune power came back and is more repeatable without so much heat being registered in the primary cat.

The turbo is small, smallest I've seen on a 2.0 engine. Explains the great response but also explains why it's tough to have large increases in power/torque/boost levels.

The turbo is being sent out to our turbo builder today, we've been working closely with and setting a lot of records with Forced Performance/Xona Rotor for many-many years. They are going to work some magic on this and by the time we get it back here our production exhausts, intercooler, downpipe etc., should all be done and available. It will fall right in place with everything. Turbos will then be available through us for the trucks.

IMG-0891.jpg

IMG-0892.jpg

IMG-0893.jpg

IMG-0894.jpg

IMG-0895.jpg
Twin-Scroll?

Scaggdaddy

XLT
First Name
James
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Trim
XLT

I'm really not against the small motors the first time I went over 130 miles per hour was a 77 pinto crusin wagon with a 2.3 that would scream an I could not keep a rear-end in

DryHeat

XLT
First Name
QuiénSabe
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Patriot
Trim
XLT
We dropped the secondary cat yesterday in search of more power.
I'm confused. I'm assuming "secondary cat" means "secondary catalytic converter." Was that something that you added to the exhaust system when reworking it?

I ask because I think you later said you didn't remove the OEM catalytic converter.

So what was the "secondary cat" that you removed?

Porvette

XLT
First Name
Mark
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Willys, 1979 Corvette
Trim
XLT
Love the work you're doing for our little trucks. I understand and appreciate the folks that are into the off roading, lift kits, big nobby tires, etc. . Hell I just sold a wrangler willys with all of the above. But I want to make a little hotrod outa the Mav and you're going a long way for that to happen.
Question... how will you sell the turbos? Have a core charge? Have any idea as of yet the price point?
Thanks!

MaverickAngler

XLT
First Name
Andy
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tundra
Trim
XLT
How hard is it to swap out turbos on this? I’ve heard there’s some “ring” or adaptor that makes it difficult?

I haven’t worked in a factory turbo since my srt4 in 2003 lol

Mikknj

XLT
First Name
Mikk
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT Luxury CO360
Trim
XLT

That's comical - Create a car with 1000hp to go to the grocery store.

Hot pepper

XLT
First Name
George
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Trim
XLT
Morning!

IMG-0891.jpg

IMG-0892.jpg

IMG-0893.jpg

IMG-0894.jpg

IMG-0895.jpg
Sounds good but what about the Factory Warranty?

Bushpilot

XL
First Name
Greg
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Volt
Trim
XL
The main problem I see with that turbo is it is plugged up with a .... oh, nevermind, can't go there.

Boostx

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 focus st
Trim
Undecided
Just curious if this turbo is smaller than Ford's other vehicles with 2.0T engines (Focus ST, Edge, Escape etc..)

Advertisement

Advertisement