First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jetta Sportwagen
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Feeling pretty emasculated that I am buying a hybrid because gas is $5.20 a gallon here…missing my youth and some intensely stupid run ins with speed, but enjoying the read here for sure. This is great stuff!
Sponsored

Olldladieslovemavericksto

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Ellen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Outlander Sport
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I'm 61, I still remember when guys were hot rodding flat heads. Model T's and Model A's were still common at drag strips.

In the old days, first thing you rejetted the carb, then swapped out to a larger carb, more timing, headers and dual exhaust. Then you installed a bigger cam, then you pulled the heads and did a garage port and polish and had them milled for more compression. If that wasn't enough, you looked for more displacement.

There were no stroker kits, turbos were a GM thing, then a 911 thing. Superchargers were beyond what the average hot rodder could afford so it was all elbow grease and pumping as much air and fuel in and then pumping it out as fast as possible.

It was much simpler and a lot more fun back in those days. Thats why I still own a couple vintage Mustangs.

I am building a 250 six cylinder out of a 73 Comet that I want to drop into something. It's an oddball engine but a lot of fun.
I sure miss those days when you could do all the work on your car yourself.

Evil2ltr

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Alto Blue Maverick XLT AWD
Interesting for sure...

Enderet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Just curious if this turbo is smaller than Ford's other vehicles with 2.0T engines (Focus ST, Edge, Escape etc..)
I understood him to be saying that when he said, "The turbo is small, smallest I've seen on a 2.0 engine. Explains the great response but also explains why it's tough to have large increases in power/torque/boost levels." Unless, he hasnt ever seen the turbo on the Focus ST, Edge, Escape, etc.

Sponsored

Boostx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 focus st
I understood him to be saying that when he said, "The turbo is small, smallest I've seen on a 2.0 engine. Explains the great response but also explains why it's tough to have large increases in power/torque/boost levels." Unless, he hasnt ever seen the turbo on the Focus ST, Edge, Escape, etc.
Yeah, I guess I could have been more direct and asked if he has seen any turbos of the other Ford 2.0T applications. Those all use small turbos. Seems weird that Ford would put an even smaller turbo on the Maverick.

Arukoru

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Chevy Cruze
I'm 61, I still remember when guys were hot rodding flat heads. Model T's and Model A's were still common at drag strips.

In the old days, first thing you rejetted the carb, then swapped out to a larger carb, more timing, headers and dual exhaust. Then you installed a bigger cam, then you pulled the heads and did a garage port and polish and had them milled for more compression. If that wasn't enough, you looked for more displacement.

There were no stroker kits, turbos were a GM thing, then a 911 thing. Superchargers were beyond what the average hot rodder could afford so it was all elbow grease and pumping as much air and fuel in and then pumping it out as fast as possible.

It was much simpler and a lot more fun back in those days. Thats why I still own a couple vintage Mustangs.

I am building a 250 six cylinder out of a 73 Comet that I want to drop into something. It's an oddball engine but a lot of fun.
When I was a kid, the first thing you did was ebay a Chinese knock off cold air intake and an exhaust system. Then you blow your savings on an amazing sound system and a knock off spoiler for your front wheel drive integra.

🤣 interesting how times change. These days the only mods I see are done on really expensive cars. I miss the rice rockets with widebody kits. Most of them looked and sounded terrible but once in a while you'd see a good looking car that could compete with the sluggish mustangs of the day.

jpage8645

First Name
Jeremy Page
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 F150, 1973 Maverick, 2012 Tundra, 2020 F250
I'm confused. I'm assuming "secondary cat" means "secondary catalytic converter." Was that something that you added to the exhaust system when reworking it?

I ask because I think you later said you didn't remove the OEM catalytic converter.

So what was the "secondary cat" that you removed?
Maverick peeps are strange!

Sponsored
OP
OP
Buschur

Buschur

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I'm confused. I'm assuming "secondary cat" means "secondary catalytic converter." Was that something that you added to the exhaust system when reworking it?

I ask because I think you later said you didn't remove the OEM catalytic converter.

So what was the "secondary cat" that you removed?
There is a primary "cat" catalytic converter on these trucks that bolts right to the turbo, then a secondary down stream. Our catback exhaust we have on the truck and will be offering doesn't tough either of those, it's illegal to remove a cat on a car that came with them in every state.

We removed the secondary on this truck to find the bottlenecks in the system.

OP
OP
Buschur

Buschur

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Love the work you're doing for our little trucks. I understand and appreciate the folks that are into the off roading, lift kits, big nobby tires, etc. . Hell I just sold a wrangler willys with all of the above. But I want to make a little hotrod outa the Mav and you're going a long way for that to happen.
Question... how will you sell the turbos? Have a core charge? Have any idea as of yet the price point?
Thanks!
The turbos will require a core or if supply stays good from Ford can be bought outright too. I don't have a guess on the price. The turbo alone from Ford is about $850, plus core or a $250 core fee I believe. Then you have the cost of the modifications which will go over $1,000 if I had to take a guess.

I like the little "hotrod" idea from the truck too! I can't make up my mind but I love to offroad so mine will end up a hot rod'd offroader.

OP
OP
Buschur

Buschur

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
How hard is it to swap out turbos on this? I’ve heard there’s some “ring” or adaptor that makes it difficult?

I haven’t worked in a factory turbo since my srt4 in 2003 lol
We didn't pull the turbo off our truck, bought a new one outright to send out to save time and be able to keep working on more parts and tuning in the mean time.

OP
OP
Buschur

Buschur

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
That's comical - Create a car with 1000hp to go to the grocery store.
If you don't care about making more power you are probably in the wrong thread.

OP
OP
Buschur

Buschur

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F150
Engine