Sponsored

Undercoating / rustproofing Mavericks. RU?

Jer

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT ordered, 2009 Ford Adrenalin
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I plan on removing the rocker panel clips also. What is the trick for turning them without breaking them? I have a set for replacements when I break them attempting to get them off.
Take pliers , go straight on get both squares and turn. After that you can slide it out the slot. I removed all of mine and only ruined the first one trying to figure out how remove them. Replacements on Amazon and ebay .
ZHANGTIAN 10 Pcs Car Plastic Rocker Panel Moulding Clips Fasteners 6G1Z-5410182-A 6G1Z5410182A Fit for Ford 500 2005-
Sponsored

Last edited:

Finnster

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy's
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
For those that have older cars that are now rusted to bits... did you frequently wash the undercarriage, or take it to a car wash in the winter?
In my case, NEVER!
I Bought used and either didn't care, or didn't think a 4WD truck would rot important bits off of the frame! The 96 Chevy K1500 was pristine when I bought it 13 years ago. But sitting outside and seeing little use, combined with no winter car washes caused it's doom, IMO.

When I bought the 2019 Grand Caravan with 14K miles, I Fluid Filmed the undercarriage and doors, etc.
I also tested the salt content of my local carwash's water by wiring an old clean soup can under the rear axle and taking a sip of the contents after going through the car wash.
I did this one day after a decent snow fall as it was still sloppy on the roads and the car wash was getting a lot of use.
The car wash water was Not very salty at all! If it were chicken soup it would have needed a big dose of salt to be yummy.
I now plan to do my own undercarriage flushing with a garden hose and a small sprinkler on a pole that I can move about, avoiding the carwash spray cannons.
I am no longer concerned about the salt level at my local (no touch) car wash, but I am concerned about the violent undercarriage spray cannons as pertains to washing off my "film" type undercoating, Fluid Film, Blaster Super Shield, WoolWax, and SP-400, in no particular order.
That's my plan for now!

Bob The Builder

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Butch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Cherokee ** 2023 Mav FX/4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
In my case, NEVER!
I Bought used and either didn't care, or didn't think a 4WD truck would rot important bits off of the frame! The 96 Chevy K1500 was pristine when I bought it 13 years ago. But sitting outside and seeing little use, combined with no winter car washes caused it's doom, IMO.

When I bought the 2019 Grand Caravan with 14K miles, I Fluid Filmed the undercarriage and doors, etc.
I also tested the salt content of my local carwash's water by wiring an old clean soup can under the rear axle and taking a sip of the contents after going through the car wash.
I did this one day after a decent snow fall as it was still sloppy on the roads and the car wash was getting a lot of use.
The car wash water was Not very salty at all! If it were chicken soup it would have needed a big dose of salt to be yummy.
I now plan to do my own undercarriage flushing with a garden hose and a small sprinkler on a pole that I can move about, avoiding the carwash spray cannons.
I am no longer concerned about the salt level at my local (no touch) car wash, but I am concerned about the violent undercarriage spray cannons as pertains to washing off my "film" type undercoating, Fluid Film, Blaster Super Shield, WoolWax, and SP-400, in no particular order.
That's my plan for now!
^^^^^ Agreed ^^^^^ No high pressure wash on the underside of a protected oiled or filmed vehicle. I pick a nice day above freezing if we get one in the winter and spray with a hose and then only use spray not a hard stream. Vehicles only require a minor touchup and usually costs no more that 50-60 bucks.

Paulyz

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.churchbelltoweradventure-suspense.com
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Like many of us, waiting for my build date just gives me more time to think about what I want to do to my CG 2.0 XLT AWD loaded except for moonroof and FX4.

I have asked two dealerships for what they would use (to be fair, only a couple of days out from asking). I also talked with Chad today at a Ziebart franchise in Bloomington, MN who quoted $799 for both undercoating and rustproofing applications (yearly update for $60.00 to keep warranty up). There was some disconnect about if the shields (for air flow mpg) would be removed during their process, so I sent the video of underneath a Maverick 2.0 AWD.

For those of us who live in snow country, are you thinking of undercoating/ rustproofing your Maverick and if so, who are you planning to use and why?

thanks to all
I live in Wisconsin so lot of snow & salt, plus I live in a private dirt/gravel road. So as soon as my Maverick arrived this December 8th. I had Bullet Liner in Green Bay rustproof/undercoat it plus spray-in bed liner. They use Auto Armor, a two step process that sprays a mostly clear waxy rustproofing in all the nooks and crannies, rockers, hood, tailgate, doors etc. using factory drain holes. This stuff creeps about 4 inches to spread well. After it hardens, they then spray a black table undercoating to seal it all in. This Spring I will take it back in for a free inspection and if necessary, a touch up. This stuff stays pliable so won't chip off. Cost for the rustproofing/undercoating about ,,$500.

Last edited:

Wixron

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 escape
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
make sure the weep holes in the bottom of the doors are clear... prevents water from building up causing rust... sometimes when they spray the wax in the lower doors it plugs those holes

Sponsored

CarolAnn

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Carol
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Cherokee
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I live in Wisconsin so lot of snow & salt, plus I live in a private dirt/gravel road. So as soon as my Maverick arrived this December 8th. I had Bullet Liner in Green Bay rustproof/undercoat it plus spray-in bed liner. They use Auto Armor, a two step process that sprays a mostly clear waxy rustproofing in all the nooks and crannies, rockers, hood, tailgate, doors etc. using factory drain holes. This stuff creeps about 4 inches to spread well. After it hardens, they then spray a black table undercoating to seal it all in. This Spring I will take it back in for a free inspection and if necessary, a touch up. This stuff stays pliable so won't chip off. Cost for the rustproofing/undercoating about ,,$500.
I‘m in OH and want to get rustproofing done asap, just picked my Maverick XLT up yesterday. Has anyone heard of Woolwax rustproofing? I researched and am thinking of getting it.

matmondro

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Mathieu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT FX4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I‘m in OH and want to get rustproofing done asap, just picked my Maverick XLT up yesterday. Has anyone heard of Woolwax rustproofing? I researched and am thinking of getting it.
Woolwax is a great way to go. Fluid Film is more-or-less the DIY version of it. Any lanolin-based coating will work totally fine, and can even be a little more forgiving than other undercoatings (it can be wiped or rinsed off with a towel or high pressure sprayer). That's also about the only con that comes to mind, you don't want to run your Maverick through an automatic car wash doing the chassis rinse, the high pressure spray will likely take off some of it.

CarolAnn

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Carol
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Cherokee
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Thank you so much for your input!
I found a company who applies it so I just need to get my appt.

Paulyz

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.churchbelltoweradventure-suspense.com
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Bullet Liner uses Auto Armor, like I mentioned. The rustproofing part is a lanolin, waxy spray to get in all the cavities. After it sets, Bullet Liner then sprays a pliable petroleum spray to seal everything, won't crack & deadens road noise. I am very happy with this.

Motorjunkie

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
73 vette, 71Fiat 850, 91 Mercedes 500SL, 2001 F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Not sure if anyone (other than me) takes Consumer Reports articles seriously anymore, but according to this article new cars really don't need an aftermarket undercoating.
https://www.consumerreports.org/car-maintenance/does-your-car-need-undercoating/
Then the people at consumer reports are being paid by the manufacturers to say that. If you live in the rust belt, every vehicle should be rust proofed some how, some way lest they delaminate like a piece of osb left in the rain.

Sponsored

Motorjunkie

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I was considering it, but after a good look at the underside of the Maverick it seems like a waste. Unless you want to remove lots of shielding yourself before the service is performed you will be paying to have mostly plastic and metal shields coated.
You are correct about the shields. They cover much of the bottom of the vehicle. I took mine off, the inner fenders out, and the interior door panels off. I then mixed chain saw bar oil with linseed oil, and thinned it with kerosine and after wrapping all the electrical connectors with tin foil, soaked it down with small fruit tree sprayer. When you use linseed oil, you must thoroughly clean residual overspray from the paint because it will be difficult to remove if you let it dry. I plan to do a touch up every fall.

Motorjunkie

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I just had mine done for the second time , last Nov and again this week. Oil based spray , removed plates fx4 , droped felt liners, pop tailghts and get in there with a long wand. When i looked at drive shaft it was 2/3 sprayed last year as we did not rotate it while spraying and now its 1/3 rusted color and 2/3 factory steel color the stuff really works as a shield. Hood is the only aluminum i believe so you can get all engine bay easily. Also dropped spare and do the wheel and mechanism. Drilled the doors as well. I keep my vehicles about 15 years and never had much rust and never repainted a car. My Jeep tj was pretty rusty at the end but it was 18yrs and they were prone to rust in certain spots.

If the steel on the unibody maverick is good ? we should be ok as vehicle frames are usually the worst for rust as the box frames fill with salt and mud that cant easily be cleaned out.
Just a side note. The door panels come off super easy if you don't want to drill holes.

Wetfoot77

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Lenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Ranger 2002 Forester 2023 Maverick Tremor
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Hope to be getting my truck end of June/ early July. Plan on driving this for the next 20 years or so. Tons of snow and salty roads in the Upper Peninsula so will certainly be undercoating. I'll be using Blaster Surface Shield. Been researching for a couple months and this seems like the best option for DIY. This product weeps well and seems more resiatant to washing off. They also claim only need to reapply biannually. I'll believe that part when I see it.

unclerunkle

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Marquis
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

Goose20

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Its been so long since I owned a vehicle, I didn't even know this was still a thing to do.. Thanks for posting.
My dealer does not recommend it.....
Sponsored