st3v

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I already went to 2 dealers and they couldn't replicate the problem, so I am going to wait 6-12 months (or if I hear about a new TSB) before I waste my time again.

Edit: I have still been having grabby brakes and it happened 3-4 times today (4/1/2023).
Sponsored

Last edited:

Dad

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick, - Lariat, Hyundai Palisade
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
So much for keeping my finger crossed. Complete failure and waste of my time. It is time to find another dealer for my service. After they had my car all day they sent me a text telling me the brakes are fine. I asked if they installed the software patch per the TSB I printed for them and they said the technician did not want to install anything that might make it worse given that he did not experience the problem during a test drive. Fortunately, I live in a metro area (Denver) with numerous other Ford dealerships.
They might have done you a favor. I've talked to some who had the patch done and for some weird reason it dropped their mileage about 15%. Not a scientific observation, just word of mouth from another member.

Maverick2023

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Kip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Rav4
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
They might have done you a favor. I've talked to some who had the patch done and for some weird reason it dropped their mileage about 15%. Not a scientific observation, just word of mouth from another member.
yeah mine too. It dropped because of my lead foot. No more timid about punching that gas pedal now that I got the grabby brakes sorta fixed.

Eagle11

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'07 Boxster S, 2018 BMW M5, Ducati's, Suzuki's
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

So much for keeping my finger crossed. Complete failure and waste of my time. It is time to find another dealer for my service. After they had my car all day they sent me a text telling me the brakes are fine. I asked if they installed the software patch per the TSB I printed for them and they said the technician did not want to install anything that might make it worse given that he did not experience the problem during a test drive. Fortunately, I live in a metro area (Denver) with numerous other Ford dealerships.
All you have to say is, "my brakes are grabby" in the TBS, it talks about grabby brakes, I had a little showdown with my dealer about this and showed them the TBS, and explained to them the little work "OR" means just one of the issues have to happen, to get the upgrade and since grabby brakes are one of them I expect the truck to get the upgrade.

But a word of advice, the grabby brakes go away but come back. I'm roughly 7 weeks out of having the upgraded software and my grabby brakes are back.

Eagle11

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Yes, I will second this, but since my grabby brakes are back, so have my MPG.

Sponsored

Dad

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
yeah mine too. It dropped because of my lead foot. No more timid about punching that gas pedal now that I got the grabby brakes sorta fixed.
Interesting point. I was under the impression the grabby brake issue only appeared at very low speeds, but it seems you had the brake issue at much higher speeds.

Dad

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Yes, I will second this, but since my grabby brakes are back, so have my MPG.
If I am to understand you correctly, you had the update, it dropped your mpg and now the update didn't solve the brake problem, but your mpg improved?
Oh, wait. I just read your earlier reply to another member and now I understand your situation. Very odd, no? I would guess a software fix would be sort of permanent. Code doesn't just change on its own. Is this truck resisting change? Christine, is that you reincarnated? Not doubting your experience for a second, just wondering what the heck is going on with our trucks.

Last edited:

MRickDetroit

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Future Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
For the first 2000 miles mine was fine and thought I wasn't affected, now I am feeling the grabby brakes when nearly stopped, under 2-6 miles per hour. My passenger thinks I cant drive haha.

Dad

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
For the first 2000 miles mine was fine and thought I wasn't affected, now I am feeling the grabby brakes when nearly stopped, under 2-6 miles per hour. My passenger thinks I cant drive haha.
I'm at 7k and I still have yet to feel the grabby. Your post reminds me of when we bought a stick shift Honda for our son. His turn to drive it and I asked him if he knew how to drive a stick shift. "Oh, sure", he replied. "I've watched people drive a stick". Uh-huh. Needless to say my neck got a workout on that drive.

Sponsored

Dad

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Working on a review of the TSB 23-2060 (second fix) today. Should have a full video and written report up tonight. Short answer, still not fixed.
Look forward to seeing it. Always great reviews from you. Clear, down-to-earth, and relevant. Thanks.

Maverick2023

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Kip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Rav4
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
So it’s been raining hard today and I got a chance to test the brakes at different modes, eco, normal, sport and slippery. Happy to report that I no longer get that clunking sound and brakes slow to engage at low speed. Also tested the brakes going down hill at low speed and the braking is much better now. Overall, I’m very satisfied with the update. Not 100 % fixed to make the braking feels like my other cars but this works for me better than previously.

Dad

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
So it’s been raining hard today and I got a chance to test the brakes at different modes, eco, normal, sport and slippery. Happy to report that I no longer get that clunking sound and brakes slow to engage at low speed. Also tested the brakes going down hill at low speed and the braking is much better now. Overall, I’m very satisfied with the update. Not 100 % fixed to make the braking feels like my other cars but this works for me better than previously.
Good to hear. Thanks for keeping us informed.

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
Undecided
Hey, Paul! This does not sound like the experience we want you to have with your Maverick. If you'd like me to look into this concern on my end, please send over a DM with your VIN and Ford dealer info.

Eagle11

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

If I am to understand you correctly, you had the update, it dropped your mpg and now the update didn't solve the brake problem, but your mpg improved?
Oh, wait. I just read your earlier reply to another member and now I understand your situation. Very odd, no? I would guess a software fix would be sort of permanent. Code doesn't just change on its own. Is this truck resisting change? Christine, is that you reincarnated? Not doubting your experience for a second, just wondering what the heck is going on with our trucks.
It is well documented on this forum that the "fix" doesn't last long.

After I got the update, my MPG fell by 6-8 MPG. Now it's back up to the mid to high 50's
Sponsored