John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Here is my video update on the grabby hybrid brake fix of TSB-2493. Not impressed. Somewhat fixed, but not 100%

Did you or can you test the speed at which regen ceases?

Use to be at 3 mph and under = no regen.

You could try coasting down in "L" without any brake pedal and see when regen lets off.

Thanks.

OP
OP
Shay

Shay

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

You could try coasting down in "L" without any brake pedal and see when regen lets off.

Thanks.
It's still at about 3 mph

Clarkdonbran

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

You need to narrate on the Calm app! More great info from you. Thanks!

Timothyd

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Buick Encore, Miata, motorcycles
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Thanks.
Funny, I just saw this and was wondering about my Maverick getting built late this month. I gather this isn't an issue with all Mavericks? I test drove one and didn't notice it.

Sponsored

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

All hybrids as far as we can tell.

It's a bit random. But you'll notice with enough stop n go under 6 mph. Usually for me at exactly 3 mph, the regen drop out point.

People with a "soft" brake pedal press see it more. People who use more brisk braking see it less often.

People who use gentle braking to maximize regen, don't call upon the friction brakes until 3 mph, then the regen quits and friction pads take over all at once, sometimes abruptly.

If you brake more briskly you call upon the friction pads at a higher speed, and the brakes "blend" with regen and it's pretty darn smooth then.

Last edited:

LeersMav

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Maximus GP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PriusV, Sonata PHEV, F-50 Mavrick Lariat Hybrid FE
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
All hybrids as far as we can tell.

It's a bit random. But you'll notice with enough stop n go under 6 mph. Usually for me at exactly 3 mph, the regen drop out point.

People with a "soft" brake pedal press see it more. People who use more brisk braking see it less often.

People who use gentle braking to maximize regen, don't call upon the friction brakes until 3 mph, then the regen quits and friction pads take over all at once, sometimes abruptly.

If you brake more briskly you call upon the friction pads at a higher speed, and the brakes "blend" with regen and it's pretty darn smooth then.
That's most likely why it doesn't bother me, plus I've had a Prius V and Sonata PlugIn and did not have any issues with "grabby" brakes ...... I think I fall into that last paragraph category :) as I am not a soft brake type of driver.

Maverick2023

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Kip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Rav4
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Funny, I just saw this and was wondering about my Maverick getting built late this month. I gather this isn't an issue with all Mavericks? I test drove one and didn't notice it.
you need to drive more to notice it. Mine doesn't grab all the time or at least i don't notice it but it does grab.

JimParker256

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Area 51 Hybrid FE, 2014 Impala
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Almost 2000 miles now, and I've experienced it only VERY rarely. And I would chalk those events up to poor technique on my part. After years of driving a Prius-C, where the transition to friction brakes required slightly MORE pedal input, doing that on the Maverick hybrid definitely is NOT the way to go. I've learned to (most of the time, at least) back off very slightly at about the point where friction braking takes over, and this results in smooth stops about 95% of the time. Every once in a while I get a slight lurch.

My wife drove the Mav for the first time yesterday, and her first stop was a bit "grabby" but her subsequent stops were fine. But perhaps we just got lucky with our Hybrid?

Bushpilot

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Volt
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The only time I have felt it was in ice/snow, and even then it is rare.

Sponsored

OXHB619

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Clayton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XL EB 2.0
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I haven’t experienced or been able to replicate this in mine, although I did get the loud “thunk” once.

I live near a zillion stop lights, so I figured I would see it at some point. I typically follow the EV coach on braking and get 100% consistently for whatever that’s worth.

Dallas Maverick

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I have seen it a lot, i.e., almost daily, since I picked my truck up in May.

As soon as the TSB was issued, I took my truck in and they reprogrammed accordingly. I'm still having the issue, but not as much.

Note: I use my adaptive cruise a LOT, (stop&go traffic in a large city). I use it almost extensively when I'm in traffic and I let the cruise take me all the way down to a complete stop. I have never once had it grab when the computer is in full control, only when I am applying the brakes myself.

Larrythelunatic

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
92 Toyota Pickup. 22 IS hybrid Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Here is my video update on the grabby hybrid brake fix of TSB-2493. Not impressed. Somewhat fixed, but not 100%

Sam,
Good video, as usual.
One point………Yours is the first report of this problem that specified “with the wheels turned”. Did this “condition” not exist, for you, with the wheels straight?
For the record, my one-car-wide driveway requires me to pull up close behind my wife’s car. There’s been a few times that she has thought that I had bumped her car, because of the abrupt halt. My wheels were straight, but had been for only about one revolution.
Interesting clue………

Last edited:
OP
OP
Shay

Shay

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Sam,
Good video, as usual.
One point………Yours is the first report of this problem that specified “with the wheels turned”. Did this “condition” not exist, for you, with the wheels straight?
For the record, my one-car-wide driveway requires me to pull up close behind my wife’s car. There’s been a few times that she has thought that I had bumped her car, because of the abrupt halt. My wheels were straight, but had been for only about about one revolution.
Interesting clue………
At the video making all of the occurrences were with the wheels turned, noted because the ABS system reads that condition differently than when they are straight - wheels turning at different speeds. (Hopes FoMoCo engineers might be observing)

Since making the video the occurrences have happened regardless of whether they are turned or straight. Bottom line, 600 miles later this is not an effective fix at all.

TedTX

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Hope the figure it out before next Thursday. Mine is going in and they want to keep 3 days ( other electrical)
Sponsored