Sponsored

DIY Grabby Brakes Fix (for Hybrid Maverick)

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

• Banned
DIY Grabby Brakes Fix

I swear this works for me.
For at least 15 out of 15 days.

When able, when safe, as soon as possible on your first drive of the day, get up to 25 or 30 mph, look behind you, then BRAKE FIRMLY. No need to screech the tires or evoke ABS. Brake briskly enough to exceed regen, and get about 50% hydraulic braking power. Continue strong braking until you stop. That's it. As an alternative, shift to N and do your first stop of the day in N.

I will not feel "grabby" brakes no matter how many times I try after doing this.

I live in a coastal area (SF Bay) with fog and dew most mornings. I feel heating the brakes, drying the brakes, shedding surface rust, whatever helps in my scenario. Can't be a fluke if it worked 15 times in a row, right?

I can't prove dampness is a root cause. MAYBE the dumb truck needs to "learn" something from that first application of hydraulic brakes. Stupid if that's it because it "forgets" overnight.

Do it safely. Pay attention to who if anyone is behind you.

Try it and report back if this helps your Maverick.

I agree Ford needs a permanent remedy.
Sounds like they are working on it. Please TRY this and see if it helps you, before the Ford update comes out.

15 out of 15 for me.
Not proof of anything.
But I'm batting 1000.
Sponsored

respi133

2.0L EcoBoost
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Thanks for sharing your experience, it sounds like a lot of Hybrid owners are feeling the grab so hopefully Ford does have a proper solution in the works - let us know if your streak continues or ends!

skinnyboy

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Prius V
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
DIY Grabby Brakes Fix

When able, when safe, as soon as possible on your first drive of the day, get up to 25 or 30 mph, look behind you, then BRAKE FIRMLY. No need to screech the tires or evoke ABS. Brake briskly enough to exceed regen, and get about 50% hydraulic braking power. Continue strong braking until you stop. That's it. As an alternative, shift to N and do your first stop of the day in N.

I will not feel "grabby" brakes no matter how many times I try after doing this.

I live in a coastal area (SF Bay) with fog and dew most mornings. I feel heating the brakes, drying the brakes, shedding surface rust, whatever helps in my scenario. Can't be a fluke if it worked 15 times in a row, right?

I can't prove dampness is a root cause. MAYBE the dumb truck needs to "learn" something from that first application of hydraulic brakes. Stupid if that's it because it "forgets" overnight.

Sounds like they are working on it. Please TRY this and see if it helps you, before the Ford update comes out.

15 out of 15 for me.
Not proof of anything.
But I'm batting 1000.
Spot on. We had a foggy night here a couple of days ago, really uncommon for this area. I noticed the brakes being unusually grabby that morning, just as you describe. Went away after some driving, but took way longer than expected, likely because the hybrid uses the mechanical brakes so little. Can certainly see how your method would expedite the process. This issue would have to be related to moisture on the pads and rotors affecting the friction between them.

The software update referenced that Ford is working on is to address a different concern that arises when braking at very low speeds only, stop and go/drive thru speeds. When it happens you know it.

Cheers.

OP
OP
GPSMan

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

• Banned
I believe the "grab" occurs when regen stops and hydraulic pads hit the rotors in one step without blending.

There are three basic braking methods.

A) Regenerative only. Electric motor is providing negative torque slowing you down while generating power.

B) Blended brakes. Some regen and some hydraulic brake pads slowing you down.

C) Hydraulic braking only. Brake pads on rotors doing all the work.

(For this conversation we can lump engine braking with Regenerative braking.)

The grab, I'm 99% convinced occurs when regen stops, and hydraulic starts.

This happens ALL IN ONE STEP at very low speeds. I observe this at 3 mph. Ford's very general announcement said "under 6 mph". Close enough.

The sensors / computer program I think is confused when brakes are wet. So the effect is more pronounced. But the problem may not be limited to wet conditions only.

With hydraulic only, you will have a smooth, predictable stop every time. Try stopping in Neutral. This deactivates all regen, thus all blended brakes too.

Try stopping with forced blended brakes. Do this by stopping briskly, so you force the hydraulic pads assist at speeds over 15 mph and keep brisk deceleration all the way down to zero. Bet ya have a smooth transition.

I think we are getting the "grab" as a result of the brake coach. As a result of using regen almost exclusively and not not using the hydraulic brake at all until 3 mph.

For it is at 3 mph ( 6 mph in prior models of Ford Hybrids) when regen "gives up" turns off, and hydraulic brakes "take over" come on, and at 3 MPH ( 6 MPH in older models ) this happens ALL IN ONE STEP. NO BLENDING.

The software update, probably, hopefully, will include the hydraulic brakes being forced to come on sooner, allowing time for a mandatory blending period.

Or Ford could surprise us and include a moon roof on the floor so we can all Fred Flintstone it in parking lots. We shall see.

OP
OP
GPSMan

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

• Banned
I don't think we need more proof of the regen stopping suddenly at 3 mph, but here it is:
Note speed top left, and battery charge current top center. Negative = charging. Positive = discharging. The car was in EV mode with gentle application of brakes.

Watch for Speed click from 3 to 2 and in the same instant battery current flip from negative to positive.

Sponsored

Mymaverick2021

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Steveo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
DIY Grabby Brakes Fix

15 out of 15 for me.
Not proof of anything.
But I'm batting 1000.
But as usuall that sounds like the half Assed way to go about taking care of your grabby break problem or you could just wait for Ford's recall Coming in December with a software Update to take care of the break problem people are having😉

Catster

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 Fusion hybrid, Dodge GC, Chevy Bolt
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I have seen that when driving slowly in parking lots where there's stop and go traffic, that you have about 3 good brake presses (lightly, since you're barely moving) and then the 4th or 5th brake application, it's as if the brakes aren't working (or at lease way less response) so you need to push the pedal through the regenerative braking part of the pedal stroke, and right into the hydraulic part - STOP! This jars all of the passengers, but sometimes that's what you have to deal with. I've learned to keep my distance when in parking lots.

On the topic of grabby brakes, cold damp brakes are usually quite grabby. They need to be warmed up before the grabbiness goes away, so learn to find a place to ride the brakes pretty firm after you start a vehicle in a damp environment (rain/fog). Just under 4k miles on my hybrid Lariat.

brnpttmn

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I suggested the same thing back when I first felt the "grip." I don't feel it often, but when I have it's obviously been the pads/rotors sticking because they're dirty/damp/etc.

OP
OP
GPSMan

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

• Banned
Be careful coming out of a car wash too. Definitely wet. Possibly soapy too.

Would this affect traditional brakes in a traditional car? Sure.

I think why this is catching people off guard is: we HAVE regenerative brakes that ARE NOT affected by wet. This masks the fact the brakes are wet until 3 mph. Until you are feet from the bumper in front.

With REGULAR brakes you are drying them out WAY before 3 mph. You are drying them out WAY above 3 mph. You are drying them out WAY before approaching the car in front. In a regular car you drag the brakes for a tenth of a mile or more, and naturally press harder if you don't slow down at 30 mph. You don't wait til 3 mph.

It's easy to see WHY this happens.
This DOES happen in other makes of hybrids.
This does not explain why the Maverick is so much worse. Oh wait. Cheapest hybrid ever did someone say?

2022 pushed behind 2023's

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Its been long known issue for some that the first of the morning brake/regen function on the Maverick is dangerous. Been Federal complaints made about it. Instead they said "not a issue till someone dies/we get a lot of complaints" back to us.

I've known the "fix" on mine was to start the truck up (the ICE) first thing (whenever its "cold"). This kills your MPG's though. Why did I buy a hybrid if I would have to start the ICE up so it wouldn't feel like my brakes are faulty? your method does this, but you go a different route than I go to get there.

Ford could fix this by starting up the ICE earlier (if its cold) under high regen (first morning drives) or be moving to "real" brakes earlier during "cold" morning braking (regen). I've long said those two problems are related.

A shame MTC made my post invisible to everyone before...censorship on safety issues should NEVER happen MTC. Never. You might not like that I am/was right, but you should be pissed that Ford got this wrong.

Sponsored

Dad

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick, - Lariat, Hyundai Palisade
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
DIY Grabby Brakes Fix

15 out of 15 for me.
Not proof of anything.
But I'm batting 1000.
This could be a game changer for many of us hybrid people who are experiencing this. Thanks for sharing this vital information. Hope we hear from others who try this.

austinzone

2.0L EcoBoost
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Element
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
As a person who washes their car - maybe I can offer a thought.

If I pressure wash muh rotors, and I leave the car stationary while I wash the rest (usually washin muh wheels / brakes first) the rotor will normally add a very light layer of flash rusting.

this is usually evident when, after a long wash session - and I pull the car into the garage - the brakes dont work very well for the first second or so - and I can hear it lightly grinding the rust off.

maybe that grab is because the overnight light rust layer that start on the rotor (moreso for cars parked outdoors in humid/moist areas) - and as some were saying - your regen brakes work and then at some point they engage the rotors - if its the first time that day - the rotor grab doesnt happen as effectively as the truck thinks it should, and then adds more braking to compensate - at the same time the light rusting is almost all off - and then smack - sudden braking.

just a thought.

Reactions: Dad
OP
OP
GPSMan

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

OXHB619

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Clayton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XL EB 2.0
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
OP
OP
GPSMan

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

uhhhh... isn't this issue what the upcoming software update has to do with, and is related to the ABS ?

https://www.mavericktruckclub.com/f...ed-at-orbelow-6-2-mph-10-km-h-10-21-22.22360/

*edit I cannot replicate this issue, mine was built in September 22, FWIW
Yes.
This was just a temporary "make do" until then.

Tonight I had to crawl through a steep downgrade parking garage after the theater let out. The downgrade in bumper to bumper traffic at that 3 mph was down right horrific. I was talking to my wife about the show we just saw and didn't think to do that downslope in Neutral. Next time I will use N so regen and probably ABS is out of the equation.

The truck was absolutely schizophrenic. It couldn't decide what to do-pads or regen or abs. Was ugly. Worst ever.
Sponsored