First Name
Mathieu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT FX4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Been a while since I've posted on MTC, but reporting back on my towing experience this weekend.

First time I've really had to do some real towing with my truck and I must say I'm pretty impressed! 2022 FX4 with the 4k tow package with a steel framed, full height, two-place snowmobile trailer.

I only had one sled in it, centered. Trailer is ~2000 lbs and the sled is ~640 lbs, along with some gas, oil, and spare tires, my gross weight was in the neighborhood of 2700 lbs.

In tow mode, truck pulled it totally fine with a good amount of power available. The only noticeable issue was on my way out on Friday, I was driving into a decently strong head wind, so at 70-72 mph on the freeway it would occasionally hunt for gears. Otherwise, no strong head wind on the way back on Sunday and it did not hunt for gears on the freeway. Towing on the state trunk line roads at 60 mph was great too. Truck held 2000 rpm and my instant MPG was around 14-15. On the freeway that instant MPG was around 9-10. 270 mile round trip averaging 10.8 on the way out, then 12.0 on the way back.

I used a 0" drop hitch and must have had the trailer loaded just right as any sway on the freeway would sort itself out in about 5 seconds. Overall, there was minimal sway and I would totally do the trip again with the Mav if needed.

My one tip if you tow something wide like that, is the Mav absolutely needs some mirror extenders. I have some that strap onto the mirror, but it would be cool if an aftermarket company made some telescoping mirrors at some point. Overall, I'm pretty happy with how it towed!

Ford Maverick Towing a Snowmobile Trailer w/ Maverick EcoBoost 20240121_140313
Sponsored

Jeff D.

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 Maverick Lariat & Jeep Renegade
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Towing on the state trunk line roads at 60 mph was great too. Truck held 2000 rpm and my instant MPG was around 14-15. On the freeway that instant MPG was around 9-10. 270 mile round trip averaging 10.8 on the way out, then 12.0 on the way back.
Thank you for sharing, Matmondro. I'm not surprised by the mileage. Seems fuel efficient vehicles can act very differently, fuel mileage wise, when working harder.

A friend and I made a run thru the UP to Detroit to pick up a couple vinatge Sno Jets with his Subaru Outback and a flatbed snowmobile trailer. His mileage was 12-13 mpg round trip. Not horrible out, but pretty low on the way back with the added weight.

Glad to hear it still towed well.(y)

710-oil-614

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Cal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Tremor XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I would say that is relatively standard for towing with a gas engine. A full-size F-150 with a 5.0L is getting 17/22 empty. Towing 3k lbs it may do slightly better than the Maverick on fuel economy.

AutobahnSHO

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Miata, Hybrid Mav, Odyssey
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Yeah I read before scrolling down to see the photo- I'm sure an enclosed trailer is more "secure" from randos stealing stuff, but take a hit on aerodynamics. Would an open/flat trailer do better or worse for gas mileage?

OP
OP
matmondro

matmondro

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Mathieu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT FX4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Thank you for sharing, Matmondro. I'm not surprised by the mileage. Seems fuel efficient vehicles can act very differently, fuel mileage wise, when working harder.

A friend and I made a run thru the UP to Detroit to pick up a couple vinatge Sno Jets with his Subaru Outback and a flatbed snowmobile trailer. His mileage was 12-13 mpg round trip. Not horrible out, but pretty low on the way back with the added weight.

Glad to hear it still towed well.(y)
I totally agree on that take with the mileage. You could hear the truck getting into the turbo a lot more than usual.

And heck yeah on the Sno Jets 😎

Sponsored

OP
OP
matmondro

matmondro

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Mathieu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT FX4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I would say that is relatively standard for towing with a gas engine. A full-size F-150 with a 5.0L is getting 17/22 empty. Towing 3k lbs it may do slightly better than the Maverick on fuel economy.
Funny you mention that, my brother towed this trailer the weekend prior with his 3.5 Ecoboost F150. He got about 12-13 average, just a little better than the Maverick.

OP
OP
matmondro

matmondro

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Mathieu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT FX4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Yeah I read before scrolling down to see the photo- I'm sure an enclosed trailer is more "secure" from randos stealing stuff, but take a hit on aerodynamics. Would an open/flat trailer do better or worse for gas mileage?
For sure, the enclosed trailer is the way to go just to keep the sleds nice too. Keeps all the salt spray, brine, and dirt off of them while towing.

But totally, a flat/open snowmobile trailer would definitely get you some better MPG towing. Even one of those clamshell snowmobile trailers would be an improvement over this one. We like the full height though because you can fully stand up inside it to work on the sleds if needed!

710-oil-614

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Cal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Tremor XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Funny you mention that, my brother towed this trailer the weekend prior with his 3.5 Ecoboost F150. He got about 12-13 average, just a little better than the Maverick.
Especially with the enclosed trailer - the efficiency gains the Maverick achieves with aero and rolling resistance (vs a full-size) is more or less neutralized by the trailer and towing weight.

That weight is a good bit for the Mav where a full-size is just stretching its legs so you can expect it to do a little better in towing efficiency for your situation, but not by much as you saw!

Tim d

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Been a while since I've posted on MTC, but reporting back on my towing experience this weekend.

First time I've really had to do some real towing with my truck and I must say I'm pretty impressed! 2022 FX4 with the 4k tow package with a steel framed, full height, two-place snowmobile trailer.

I only had one sled in it, centered. Trailer is ~2000 lbs and the sled is ~640 lbs, along with some gas, oil, and spare tires, my gross weight was in the neighborhood of 2700 lbs.

In tow mode, truck pulled it totally fine with a good amount of power available. The only noticeable issue was on my way out on Friday, I was driving into a decently strong head wind, so at 70-72 mph on the freeway it would occasionally hunt for gears. Otherwise, no strong head wind on the way back on Sunday and it did not hunt for gears on the freeway. Towing on the state trunk line roads at 60 mph was great too. Truck held 2000 rpm and my instant MPG was around 14-15. On the freeway that instant MPG was around 9-10. 270 mile round trip averaging 10.8 on the way out, then 12.0 on the way back.

I used a 0" drop hitch and must have had the trailer loaded just right as any sway on the freeway would sort itself out in about 5 seconds. Overall, there was minimal sway and I would totally do the trip again with the Mav if needed.

My one tip if you tow something wide like that, is the Mav absolutely needs some mirror extenders. I have some that strap onto the mirror, but it would be cool if an aftermarket company made some telescoping mirrors at some point. Overall, I'm pretty happy with how it towed!

20240121_140313.jpg
That's a heavy trailer! My 2 sled clamshell is a bit over 500 lbs. I tow a 3100 lb boat with my maverick and it pulls it great!

altomav

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Keven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick, '71 GMC
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

20240121_140313.jpg
I also have a 22' FX4 with 4KTow and pulled my boat (est 3200lbs) fine. I averaged around 12mph.

Ford Maverick Towing a Snowmobile Trailer w/ Maverick EcoBoost MavBoat

Sponsored

Nw_adventure

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Element/ Toyota Highlander
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Nice- What's the overall width of that trailer ? I also need to look into mirror extended for our new travel trailer-

LSchicago

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 99 E150 Clb Wgn, 23 Mav XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

HUGE amount of frontal area. That's a killer of mileage.

Packer Bill

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda CX-5
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
HUGE amount of frontal area. That's a killer of mileage.
I agree! When I towed my Scamp trailer fully loaded at 2800 lbs (weighed at a CAT scale) I got 20-21 mpg with some cross wind (10-15 mph). I also drove 60 mph on a average which makes a difference.

OrCoaster

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
81 VW Caddy and 96 Ford Ranger
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Is it me or is that door just in the front offset for loading ramps.

looks very odd.

briandefilippo

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Do you think a Hybrid front wheel drive Mav can tow that much?
Sponsored