Sponsored

Any info. On towing a light travel trailer with Hybrid Maverick?

19mustang65

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pinti
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I look at it as Ford says it a 2k limit. What ever weight you put in the empty truck should be less than 2k lbs period.
My camper weighs 1200lbs and we have 600 to 700 pounds of bodies and junk in it.
Sponsored

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

The engineer notes about the hybrid towing say that it's not the stopping power but the cooling of the transmission that is the limiting factor. If your going to tow close to 2k or above I would consider waiting until it is cooler in the day and changing the transmission fluid more frequently
Or do as I do.

Add a full suite of digital temperature gauges to your dash for $200 so you know exactly what's going on 100% of the time.

I'll tell ya what, unless your radiator is full of bugs, dirt, or debris, or has a leak, I don't think you can make the Hybrid over-heat.

Edit: Death Valley, Las Vegas, Phoenix and surrounding areas may be the exception. 100 degrees or under, no problem. Tried and tested at 96°F and my gauges barely flinched.

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Ford Maverick Any info. On towing a light travel trailer with Hybrid Maverick? D1F4AEEB-D6B2-4B43-968D-DD38B03B05C0

Whuddaya think the frontal area of this is? I call it a parachute. All the theories on here about what you can do don't carry the weight of someone actually doing it.

I wasn't planning a blog so I didn't take many photos. Let me dig up a few I have by chance.

Ford Maverick Any info. On towing a light travel trailer with Hybrid Maverick? 1DFB8088-2FEF-4BD4-9D19-ECADE5F0626A

You can't see vehicle speed but from GPS on the background screen you can tell I'm on the Interstate. I'm doing about 60 mph in a 70 zone. What's interesting in this shot is: Gross horsepower needed to tow this trailer on level ground at 60 mph is 56 HP. Coolant temperature is elevated a few degrees only on a very hot day. The thermostat is 185°F and 185°F to 195°F is normal without a trailer. Battery temperature is very reasonable as well. I put more air pressure in the rear on purpose because I had a trailer. Started cold with 35 fronts, 40 on rears. Temperature increased the pressure. Completely normal.

Ford Maverick Any info. On towing a light travel trailer with Hybrid Maverick? E5033B7F-919A-4E6D-95E1-CED25A39C5DE

Mid-day on this trip. You can tell I'm towing and not bullshitting you by the abysmal gas mileage and range. Note outdoor ambient is 98°F. And I'm just getting ready to start climbing the Sierra Nevada mountain range with this trailer, on like the third hottest day of the year, completely by chance. So yes, of course I ran the air-conditioner all day too. Truck has plenty of power and cooling ability. For myself, and itself.

Ford Maverick Any info. On towing a light travel trailer with Hybrid Maverick? CCCA1E7E-3531-4714-9631-A2FCE95C5953

Mid day, off the interstate, on county road, climbing the Sierra, photo does not do it justice. This is 7% up grade.
Power demand about 50% shown below:
Ford Maverick Any info. On towing a light travel trailer with Hybrid Maverick? 85C2E3E3-71DA-446F-BB5E-CB2687C9C350

Note: you can tell I'm towing because the yellow icon means blind spot warning deactivated by trailer wire harness detected in use. 7% grade, 56 MPH, Temperature needle dead center. MPG well, I'd rather not say.

Final note: I experimented with modes. Didn't like tow/haul. Used tow/haul very little. Only time I found it helpful was when accelerating like on the freeway on-ramps where the higher than normal RPM is useful. And on freeway off ramps, decelerating, when the higher than normal regen is useful, but it triggers engine braking (high revs without fuel) pretty quick.
Used Normal mode after about 150 miles of trying Tow/Haul on the highways. Normal best all around experience.

Tow/Haul: too much regen. Found I had to use gas pedal on downslopes, even with the trailer. Slippery: too little regen on downslopes. Normal mode, just about right.

Also tow/haul prevents EV mode in stop n go conditions. I found no reason NOT to drive in EV mode at slow speeds in parking lots, gas stations, or traffic jams. Save fuel. Use EV when you are at like 10 mph and under with your trailer. Can't be in tow/haul to drive EV. Tow/Haul will stop the engine when you are at a dead stop though. So the truck still won't idle in any mode. Sport included.

I hope you find this useful.
I spent a lot of time typing it.
On my phone.
My thumbs are sore.

P.S. of course the ScanGaugeIII shows transmission temperature and even traction motor and generator temperature too. I just didn't have a photo of that tonight.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mazel

Mazel

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
D1F4AEEB-D6B2-4B43-968D-DD38B03B05C0.jpeg

Whuddaya think the frontal area of this is? I call it a parachute. All the theories on here about what you can do don't carry the weight of someone actually doing it.

I wasn't planning a blog so I didn't take many photos. Let me dig up a few I have by chance.

1DFB8088-2FEF-4BD4-9D19-ECADE5F0626A.jpeg

You can't see vehicle speed but from GPS on the background screen you can tell I'm on the Interstate. I'm doing about 60 mph in a 70 zone. What's interesting in this shot is: Gross horsepower needed to tow this trailer on level ground at 60 mph is 56 HP. Coolant temperature is elevated a few degrees only on a very hot day. The thermostat is 185°F and 185°F to 195°F is normal without a trailer. Battery temperature is very reasonable as well. I put more air pressure in the rear on purpose because I had a trailer. Started cold with 35 fronts, 40 on rears. Temperature increased the pressure. Completely normal.

E5033B7F-919A-4E6D-95E1-CED25A39C5DE.jpeg

Mid-day on this trip. You can tell I'm towing and not bullshitting you by the abysmal gas mileage and range. Note outdoor ambient is 98°F. And I'm just getting ready to start climbing the Sierra Nevada mountain range with this trailer, on like the third hottest day of the year, completely by chance. So yes, of course I ran the air-conditioner all day too. Truck has plenty of power and cooling ability. For myself, and itself.

CCCA1E7E-3531-4714-9631-A2FCE95C5953.jpeg

Mid day, off the interstate, on county road, climbing the Sierra, photo does not do it justice. This is 7% up grade.
85C2E3E3-71DA-446F-BB5E-CB2687C9C350.jpeg

Note: you can tell I'm towing because the yellow icon means blind spot warning deactivated by trailer wire harness detected in use. 7% grade, 56 MPH, Temperature needle dead center. MPG well, I'd rather not say.

Final note: I experimented with modes. Didn't like tow/haul. Used tow/haul very little. Only time I found it helpful was when accelerating like on the freeway on-ramps where the higher than normal RPM is useful. And on freeway off ramps, decelerating, when the higher than normal regen is useful, but it triggers engine braking (high revs without fuel) pretty quick.
Used Normal mode after about 150 miles of trying Tow/Haul on the highways. Normal best all around experience.

Tow/Haul: too much regen. Found I had to use gas pedal on downslopes, even with the trailer. Slippery: too little regen on downslopes. Normal mode, just about right.

Also tow/haul prevents EV mode in stop n go conditions. I found no reason NOT to drive in EV mode at slow speeds in parking lots, gas stations, or traffic jams. Save fuel. Use EV when you are at like 10 mph and under with your trailer. Can't be in tow/haul to drive EV. Tow/Haul will stop the engine when you are at a dead stop though. So the truck still won't idle in any mode. Sport included.

On my phone.
My thumbs are sore.

P.S. of course the ScanGaugeIII shows transmission temperature and even traction motor and generator temperature too. I just didn't have a photo of that tonight.
Great stuff! Thank you!

CuriousGary

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford C-Max Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
D1F4AEEB-D6B2-4B43-968D-DD38B03B05C0.jpeg

1DFB8088-2FEF-4BD4-9D19-ECADE5F0626A.jpeg

E5033B7F-919A-4E6D-95E1-CED25A39C5DE.jpeg

CCCA1E7E-3531-4714-9631-A2FCE95C5953.jpeg

85C2E3E3-71DA-446F-BB5E-CB2687C9C350.jpeg

On my phone.
My thumbs are sore.

Re your ScanGuage III monitor, where is this mounted in your Maverick? I have seen instruction videos where it is mounted on the extreme left side of the dash with the suction cup attached to the windshield. The RJ-45 cable goes from the connector under the steering wheel up the outside of the dash to connect into the back of the monitor. If this is done properly, the RJ-45 is not visible to the driver or passengers. Then excess cable is rolled up and secured under the steering wheel, somewhere where it is not visible to driver or passengers.

I ask you this because I am just about ready to buy the ScanGauge III. I would then get my engineer, truck-loving son-in-law to do the installation and setup. I like your selection of elements to monitor, except I will not be towing a trailor.

Last edited:

Sponsored

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

There are more than 75 parameters you can monitor.

And similar to a radio, you can have up to 27 "presets" or favorites set up on 3 pages, 9 per page. You can of course do fewer, and you can do 2x2 vs 3x3 if you want larger numerals.

I love it.

It comes with a suction cup and magnetic mount I found perfect.
The suction cup stuck well to the flat part above the cubby. I drilled a hole in the plastic tray. The hole and the wire is invisible from a seated position.

Important tip: the suction cup manufacturer provides a round magnet. The ScanGauge manufacturer provides a rectangular magnet. The round magnet IS NOT STRONG ENOUGH TO HOLD THE WEIGHT OF THE SCANGAUGE. I tried little magnet first. No go. Use the larger magnet. It's a case of not enough adhesive on the round one more than magnetic pull.
Here is my setup:

Ford Maverick Any info. On towing a light travel trailer with Hybrid Maverick? 105C2D9D-02B3-4F0C-A6DA-EBDC53BEB08C

Ford Maverick Any info. On towing a light travel trailer with Hybrid Maverick? 45314578-2534-46ED-A06D-6A708DCF6B9E

Ford Maverick Any info. On towing a light travel trailer with Hybrid Maverick? D207A0DB-1D6D-4525-826D-5D9A275E6273

It does not block use of the cubby and the mount can pan and tilt to any angle.

Ford Maverick Any info. On towing a light travel trailer with Hybrid Maverick? C144A199-6988-430F-A504-9B7192A95E51

Last edited:

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

PS Software out of the box may not (probably not) be the latest version.

Call the company. Ask for the latest version that works for the Hybrid Maverick. Maybe they can pre-install the latest firmware. But maybe not if all their stock is taped shut in boxes already and they don't want to break the seal before you get it.

You'll need to download updated firmware from WiFi at your home or work. While plugged into the truck. So you need WiFi that reaches the truck is the only catch. It's not hard to do.

CuriousGary

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford C-Max Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
PS Software out of the box may not (probably not) be the latest version.

Call the company. Ask for the latest version that works for the Hybrid Maverick. Maybe they can pre-install the latest firmware. But maybe not if all their stock is taped shut in boxes already and they don't want to break the seal before you get it.

You'll need to download updated firmware from WiFi at your home or work. While plugged into the truck. So you need WiFi that reaches the truck is the only catch. It's not hard to do.
Thanks.
Sponsored