First Name
DAB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick Oxford White Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Hey Bud, good read. I was excited to see your review. Thanks for sharing. :)
Sponsored

MLA62563

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Accord, Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I agree with you on the bumpy ride. It is the main disappointment for me. I’d say it’s harsh (and I’ve owned 3 trucks and multiple sports cars, all of which were smoother), but what can you do when you have to order before a car is available?
(and yes, my tire pressures are all correct)
I gotta say, I don't find the ride to be harsh at all. In fact, the smooth ride was a pleasant surprise for me. There are several rough patches on my drive to work that I always hated going over in my previous car, one of them being on an uphill curve that was particularly annoying....and the Maverick glides over them all without a care. After five months it still makes me smile.

JBnorthTX

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang, 2013 Honda CRV
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Nice review! My hybrid is supposed to arrive by the end of the month. Where did you have the bedliner done?

BoboysTruck

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150, Focus, Juke
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
All right, so I've finally got some time and mental bandwidth to spare, so here's my review!

I went into Five Star Ford, North Richland Hills, TX to investigate and order a Ford Lightning. After experiencing sticker shock, I was poking around and found out about the Maverick.

I came in a week later to make my order. At first, I was apprehensive about the hybrid due to the CVT transmission. I've had one previous CVT, on a Tiwanese scooter, it was fine, but I could see where people don't like them and why it wouldn't be a good plan on a car. After researching, I learned about the eCVT and how few moving parts out actually has. I learned that it is very similar to the Toyota hybrid transmissions. I watched the guy in the wheelchair show off the different internals of the the transmission. I also googled "NYC Taxi Ford Escape" and was sold.

GifMeme12131125092021.gif

I placed my order on August 1, 2021 for a hybrid, XLT, with in cab inverter, trailer hitch, and air deflectors.

XLT was a must for me because I use cruise control every day. Nicer rims are a bonus.

The in cab inverter is a great option for me and my two boys, who use the charging in the back. The hitch is a steal of an add on. The air deflectors are great. I've had them on every car I've driven since 2004. In Texas, I can leave my windows cracked and not worry about wet interior; IMHO, worth it.

Sometimes I wish I had ordered a full size spare, but other times I don't. I didn't use the spare in my previous two cars *knock on wood* and I'm rarely in a position where I'd need a full size spare. 🤷‍♂️ The doughnut is enough to get me to Discount Tire.

I was told by Five Star Ford, that my truck would arrive sooner if I got the bedliner and floor mats aftermarket. Bedliner is done, but I'm still waiting on the floor mats.

That said, kudos to them, because my truck arrived before many and I believe it's because of their guidance. 👍👍

I went to pick up my truck on Saturday, April 2nd.
20220402165349_IMG_2900 (1).JPG

take my money fry 12062022124339.jpg

I was so excited to test drive it and remember smiling, a lot.

My previous car was a 2012 Ford Focus. So, much of the driving impressions are compared to that.

The ride is bumpier than I expected, though not bad compared to other trucks I've been in.

The steering is fine. Acceleration is fine. I do miss my 5 speed. I love driving with three pedals. That said, I'd easily trade all of the meh's of driving for the economy.

I like the acceleration, especially between 20-50mph. That's where I spend most of my time anyways. It's responsive and fun. I've never found it lacking. At highway speeds it's not as good, but better than my focus was, so 🤷‍♂️.

Sport mode is hilarious and unnecessary (for me).

Donkey And Shrek Laugh At Fiona 12062022124538.jpg

I have decided that I'm going to leave my Maverick in "Normal" most of the time.

I'm not going to use Eco for a few reasons: 1. The throttle response is not as good. 2. The economy of Eco vs. Normal is not much different in my experience. 3. (This is conjecture based on what I've learned from videos and the interwebs) I believe that the eco mode allows deeper use of the HVB. Deeper use decreases longevity. If you have an opinion about this, I'd love to hear it, but that's what I think. Time will tell.

The brakes took some getting used to. I do not think they are linear, at all. I also think it's funny that the pedal feels like a traditional hydraulic, because they aren't traditional brakes. I have had the "whump" hard stop happen at low speeds a few times, but I guess at least it's never done the opposite. 🤷‍♂️ That said, to get%100 on brake coach I have to feather it until I'm below 20mph, then gradually increase pressure until I've stopped.

The first time I saw the Maverick and some days, I'm surprised at how small it is. Other days I'm surprised at how big it is. All days I've thought, "it's the right size for me."

ZomboMeme 12062022125346.jpg

Plenty of room for me, my wife, and my twin 6 year old boys. I think we're going to buy some neck pillows for them to sleep in the road trip, because that's not great in the back.

The interior storage is ample and awesome.

GifMeme13094012062022.gif

I like Android auto. I've had to restart it twice (hold power and fast forward), but I don't consider that a major issue.

The sound system is fine. Most of my in car listening is podcasts, which the Maverick does fine. I'm past the days of trying to get good audio in a car. IMHO, a car is NOT the place for that. It's not quiet enough and the only way to overcome that is volume. I like my hearing and I value "rests" (musical silence) in my music, so if I'm going to listen to music, I'm going to do so on some nice headphones or speakers in a quiet environment.

Now, the best part of this truck, no ute, no trucklette, no SUT, no WHATEVER. The best part is the value.

Reality Can Be Whatever I Want 12062022125927.jpg

Granted, I saved more down payment, but my car payments are LESS than my 2012 focus! It's so nice to be able to haul stuff. I haven't done any towing yet, but I'm sure that $100 hitch is going to be used. I'm getting >42 mpg lifetime. Current tank is at 45 MPG. Hot tip, if you have the time, change route options in Google Maps to "avoid highways.". Most of the time for me, it adds <5 minutes, but my gas mileage is great!

Kudos again, to Five Star Ford. John Little and Jeff Crabtree. They were honest and as transparent as possible throughout the process. They honored price protection and MSRP. they gave me $1300 MORE than I expected (carvana) on my trade.

GifMeme13020912062022.gif

There might be cheaper vehicles, there might be more capable vehicles, there might be more comfortable vehicles, but this is the right combination of those for me. It's comfortable enough. It's capable enough, actually more than capable for me most days. And holy moly, the total cost of ownership is a win. Sure, an electric, MIGHT, be a better value, especially if gas prices keep going up, but right now, I don't see it.

Well done Ford. You've kept a customer loyal. Well done Five Star Ford, NRH. You've earned a customers loyalty and maybe won a new customer (my wife). Well done MTC. Thank you for all the information and laughs.

Review done. (Until I think of something to add and edit it later)

Time to meme.

PXL_20220403_164113475.jpg

IMG_20220605_091855372.jpg

IMG_20220609_073534706.jpg

IMG_20220527_140759714_HDR.jpg
IMG_20220521_080742901_HDR.jpg
PXL_20220407_103607533.NIGHT.jpg

IMG_20220415_162127423.jpg
I generally don't read long posts, especially if it's just one long paragraph. Those are hard on the old eyes. So I'm sure there are some useful info out there I missed.
I read yours, every single word. Enjoyed it.

I, too, ordered a XLT Hybrid on Aug 12th so just a few days after you did but I got mine in Jan. Makes me wonder why.

Like your dealer, mine suggested I get the SIBL and hard tonneau done at the dealership. I'm glad I listened.

Anyway, thanks for the awesome read.

Sponsored

Bob The Builder

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Butch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Cherokee ** 2023 Mav FX/4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I'm guessing, even though some of you consider the Maverick's ride to be a bit harsh, I will see a tremendous improvement over my torsion bar and leaf spring suspended Ranger FX/4. :ROFLMAO:

To the OP: Nice review.

OP
OP
mamboman777

mamboman777

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Ford Focus, 2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

Mach E CP

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Conrad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mav Hybrid Lariat, 2021 Mach E Prem ExtAWD
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
[ I have decided that I'm going to leave my Maverick in "Normal" most of the time.

The first time I saw the Maverick and some days, I'm surprised at how small it is. Other days I'm surprised at how big it is. All days I've thought, "it's the right size for me."

Now, the best part of this truck, no ute, no trucklette, no SUT, no WHATEVER. The best part is the value. ]

Outstanding and entertaining review! Love the Memes!

I totally agree on all three of the above points. The second one above articulates so well what I’ve thought about the Maverick (Just right for me) but wasn’t an able to put into words!

Gr8Mustang

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Digger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Cyber Orange Maverick Hybrid Lariat Lux w/360
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'm guessing, even though some of you consider the Maverick's ride to be a bit harsh, I will see a tremendous improvement over my torsion bar and leaf spring suspended Ranger FX/4. :ROFLMAO:

To the OP: Nice review.
Same here. mav is smoother than my 2000 Ranger FX/4.
Not as smooth as my old prius but thats fine.

mikellmikell

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mikell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 Colorado's
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Last weekend at the campground someone said I would regret the hybrid because belts don't last long. I told him it didn't have any belts and he bet me it did. $20, opened the hood and not a single belt to be seen. He still didn't believe the transmission doesn't have one. I gave him a week to get proof or $20. I love the way it shifts in trailer mode.

Sponsored

MLA62563

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Accord, Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Last weekend at the campground someone said I would regret the hybrid because belts don't last long. I told him it didn't have any belts and he bet me it did. $20, opened the hood and not a single belt to be seen. He still didn't believe the transmission doesn't have one. I gave him a week to get proof or $20. I love the way it shifts in trailer mode.
Twenty bucks says you'll never see this guy again. :LOL:

19mustang65

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pinti
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Thanks for the well put together post.

In my opinion on the eco regen braking. It is the only "free" way to recharge the battery. That battery is what makes the truck a hybrid and gives you that mpg. If you use it less, you are using gas to charge it instead and be able to use it.

PhilM_TX

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid, 2022 Tucson Hybrid AWD
Ditto what most have said. Nice review.

Glad to hear 5-Star was good to work with.

We "fell into" an XLT hybrid that a family member ordered last year and recently changed her mind on, so we will be getting it in the next few weeks.

We visited Tomes Ford in McKinney last weekend to see one up close (on their used lot). We ended up driving the 2.0 EcoBoost Lariat that had there and wifey & I were shocked at how nice it rode & drove.

I advised the fella that we had previous purchased 4 Subaru's at their sister store, next door. With that in mind, he was generous enough to offer to let us know if any order cancellations occur on incoming Mav's and that he should be able to get us into one "FOR ONLY" $15k over sticker. I calmly told him F you very much and we left the Tomes family of dealerships for the last time.

Enjoy you new ride. Can't wait to get ours. :cool:

MavDude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Lariat Hybrid
Great review. I've had my hybrid mav for about 4 months now and agree with you on the normal vs eco mode thing. For my first 2 months of driving, I religiously drove it in eco mode. Then as a test, I decided to leave it in normal mode to see how much of a difference there was. To my surprise, I didn't see much of a difference at all. In fact, sometimes I swear I got WORSE mileage when in eco mode just driving around town. I now leave it in normal mode all the time and don't worry about it.

Surprised to read a few comments here about a rough ride. I was expecting that it would ride a bit rough before mine came in, but was pleasantly surprised with the ride when I finally got it. But I suppose everyone has a different opinion of what feels rough/smooth to them.

OP
OP
mamboman777

mamboman777

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Ford Focus, 2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
BTW, I've been driving around with 500+ lbs of decomposted granite in the bed for the last day and the ride is much smoother. 🤣

Ford Maverick The *official* mamboman777 Hybrid Maverick XLT owner review IMG_20220613_203559777

I bet those with lower payload (heavier trucks) get a somewhat nicer ride. 🤷‍♂️.

It's not bad, by any means, just bumpier than I expected.
Sponsored