JsnMrd

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Great review. I can’t wait to get my hybrid. Probably only 8 short months!
If we're waiting that long hopefully it'll be a 2023 model with few upgrades

FE Hyb. 710

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Focus
All right, forgive the poor pics and formatting -- I'm not an expert at posting to any forum . . . but I do feel for everyone waiting on their hybrids and other Mavericks and felt like I should give you a bit of a "long-term" review since I've had my Maverick since October 11. I've included the obligatory photos (including a shout-out to my local dealer -- honest, upfront, very helpful), along with horrible pics of payload, towing capacity, etc.

My Maverick is a 2.0, of course, outfitted with the AWD, XLT package, FX4, sunroof, sliding back window, hard tonneau, copilot-360, and the black rims + all-terrain pirellis. I think that covers all the packaging folks would be curious about. From here, I'll just try to comment on things I've seen posted frequently and/or my overall impressions.

* I've driven it almost 1700 miles, almost an exact split between highway and city miles (very little interstate). I figure my MPGs the old-fashioned way, and I've gotten 28, 27.5, 27, and 26 on the four tanks so far (not in that order -- obviously, the more highway miles, the better the mileage). The FORD trip computer has been about 1.0 to 1.5 mpgs high in its estimate each time. Always 87 octane, and the oil monitor still shows almost 90% oil life.

* I've never owned a Ford, but I'm completely happy with the fit and ride of this little truck to this point. It's not designed to be a luxury vehicle, but nothing rattles, and I haven't noticed any surfaces that seem overly prone to wear and tear. I like the orange accents, and I feel like the cloth seats are very comfortable (I didn't like the Lariat interior and remain really happy with my choice).

* Seat adjustments are easy, as are radio, A/C controls -- everything is simple and intuitive. I'll get used to the turn dial rather than a shifter. Sunroof works great with no leaks, to this point.

* I do find the bluetooth and Apple Carplay a bit clunky. It takes it a bit to recognize the presence of my phone each time, and the music quality is far superior via the Carplay link vs. bluetooth (to be expected, but still a notable difference in quality). FM radio does seem to have a weak signal, but I prefer listening to my own music, so not a big concern for me. Sounds system seems good to me, but I'm 50+, so take that under advisement if you have young ears.

* I don't typically tow anything sizeable, thus the reason I didn't get the tow package. For what I need, this truck is the perfect size. I've carried a few bikes around, as well as kayaks and a few other loads for yard work, etc., and I love the easy bed access, the height, and the multiple spots for straps, etc. Just well-designed and functional.

* I haven't done any significant off-roading (nor will I -- not the right vehicle for too much of that) but it handles Arkansas dirt roads fine and I'm confident the AWD will be perfect for the ice we get in the winter. I've never had a Ford with sport mode, so I guess I don't know what I'm missing. I've found that actually stepping on the throttle makes it more sporty . . . my version of Eco Mode is just driving like a granny. It seems to do either fine.

* I have not noticed any hood flutter (as some have seen), nor have I had any issues with my paint job or fit and finish items (window seals, etc). Everything is good and holding up well. Back sliding window is small, but opens/closes easily and doesn't obstruct visibility.

* In terms of overall impressions, I'm really, sincerely happy. I most recently drove a Honda Ridgeline and was getting 16 MPG in the city, which is where most of my driving occurs. I infrequently need a large truck bed, but like having that access when necessary. I never tow. So stepping down to a smaller truck really appealed to me (the Honda was a 2007 with 235,000 miles too, so it was time). Considering the chip crisis, I feel like MSRP for this Maverick was good value, I love the increase in MPGs, and I'm really happy with something that zips into city parking spots but can also handle a dirt road or carry my golf clubs, bikes, and kayaks (I do have an extender kayak rack which works perfectly in the Maverick hitch). It definitely drives more like a small SUV than a truck, so if you like that "big truck impervious" feeling . . . you won't have it in the Maverick. But it also doesn't feel small (the interior is really spacious in design, in my opinion), it sits up better than a sedan, and the sight lines are good. All in all, I feel like it's great value and a return to the good old days of small, workhorse trucks (I owned an old Mazda B-series back in the 80s, and this reminds me of that -- albeit it drives a bit better and has more interior room).

* I suspect all of you Hybrid folks are going to be really, really happy -- personally, I'd encourage you to hang on and wait it out, as frustrating as it has been. The truck is as promised, and there's just not a real competitor on the market right now. I researched like crazy, and while the Santa Cruz does offer many of the same features, I definitely feel like its less a truck and more of a small SUV with a bed (and a much higher price tag with worse MPGS, in general). If you like luxury and have the money, I do suspect the Santa Crux is a better vehicle at the top end, but there's no competition in the middle to lower end. The Maverick is the real deal and I'm very satisfied after a month and a half of ownership. I don't post this to start a fight, challenge anyone else's opinion, or to stir up any controversy . . . just one middle-aged man's Maverick opinion 45-days in. Happy Thanksgiving!
IMG_5621 (1).JPG
cogswell.png
IMG_5619 (2).JPG
load.JPG
Thanks for the informative review, Greg. I have a hybrid on order since 7/10/21, so I am glad to hear your words of encouragement. Enjoy, and Happy Thanksgiving to you & your family.

doug2104

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Thanks, Greg for the 45 days review of your XLT Maverick. I really enjoyed reading it and Happy Thanksgiving.

Row Jimmy

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Ranger XLT
All right, forgive the poor pics and formatting -- I'm not an expert at posting to any forum . . . but I do feel for everyone waiting on their hybrids and other Mavericks and felt like I should give you a bit of a "long-term" review since I've had my Maverick since October 11. I've included the obligatory photos (including a shout-out to my local dealer -- honest, upfront, very helpful), along with horrible pics of payload, towing capacity, etc.

My Maverick is a 2.0, of course, outfitted with the AWD, XLT package, FX4, sunroof, sliding back window, hard tonneau, copilot-360, and the black rims + all-terrain pirellis. I think that covers all the packaging folks would be curious about. From here, I'll just try to comment on things I've seen posted frequently and/or my overall impressions.

* I've driven it almost 1700 miles, almost an exact split between highway and city miles (very little interstate). I figure my MPGs the old-fashioned way, and I've gotten 28, 27.5, 27, and 26 on the four tanks so far (not in that order -- obviously, the more highway miles, the better the mileage). The FORD trip computer has been about 1.0 to 1.5 mpgs high in its estimate each time. Always 87 octane, and the oil monitor still shows almost 90% oil life.

* I've never owned a Ford, but I'm completely happy with the fit and ride of this little truck to this point. It's not designed to be a luxury vehicle, but nothing rattles, and I haven't noticed any surfaces that seem overly prone to wear and tear. I like the orange accents, and I feel like the cloth seats are very comfortable (I didn't like the Lariat interior and remain really happy with my choice).

* Seat adjustments are easy, as are radio, A/C controls -- everything is simple and intuitive. I'll get used to the turn dial rather than a shifter. Sunroof works great with no leaks, to this point.

* I do find the bluetooth and Apple Carplay a bit clunky. It takes it a bit to recognize the presence of my phone each time, and the music quality is far superior via the Carplay link vs. bluetooth (to be expected, but still a notable difference in quality). FM radio does seem to have a weak signal, but I prefer listening to my own music, so not a big concern for me. Sounds system seems good to me, but I'm 50+, so take that under advisement if you have young ears.

* I don't typically tow anything sizeable, thus the reason I didn't get the tow package. For what I need, this truck is the perfect size. I've carried a few bikes around, as well as kayaks and a few other loads for yard work, etc., and I love the easy bed access, the height, and the multiple spots for straps, etc. Just well-designed and functional.

* I haven't done any significant off-roading (nor will I -- not the right vehicle for too much of that) but it handles Arkansas dirt roads fine and I'm confident the AWD will be perfect for the ice we get in the winter. I've never had a Ford with sport mode, so I guess I don't know what I'm missing. I've found that actually stepping on the throttle makes it more sporty . . . my version of Eco Mode is just driving like a granny. It seems to do either fine.

* I have not noticed any hood flutter (as some have seen), nor have I had any issues with my paint job or fit and finish items (window seals, etc). Everything is good and holding up well. Back sliding window is small, but opens/closes easily and doesn't obstruct visibility.

* In terms of overall impressions, I'm really, sincerely happy. I most recently drove a Honda Ridgeline and was getting 16 MPG in the city, which is where most of my driving occurs. I infrequently need a large truck bed, but like having that access when necessary. I never tow. So stepping down to a smaller truck really appealed to me (the Honda was a 2007 with 235,000 miles too, so it was time). Considering the chip crisis, I feel like MSRP for this Maverick was good value, I love the increase in MPGs, and I'm really happy with something that zips into city parking spots but can also handle a dirt road or carry my golf clubs, bikes, and kayaks (I do have an extender kayak rack which works perfectly in the Maverick hitch). It definitely drives more like a small SUV than a truck, so if you like that "big truck impervious" feeling . . . you won't have it in the Maverick. But it also doesn't feel small (the interior is really spacious in design, in my opinion), it sits up better than a sedan, and the sight lines are good. All in all, I feel like it's great value and a return to the good old days of small, workhorse trucks (I owned an old Mazda B-series back in the 80s, and this reminds me of that -- albeit it drives a bit better and has more interior room).

* I suspect all of you Hybrid folks are going to be really, really happy -- personally, I'd encourage you to hang on and wait it out, as frustrating as it has been. The truck is as promised, and there's just not a real competitor on the market right now. I researched like crazy, and while the Santa Cruz does offer many of the same features, I definitely feel like its less a truck and more of a small SUV with a bed (and a much higher price tag with worse MPGS, in general). If you like luxury and have the money, I do suspect the Santa Crux is a better vehicle at the top end, but there's no competition in the middle to lower end. The Maverick is the real deal and I'm very satisfied after a month and a half of ownership. I don't post this to start a fight, challenge anyone else's opinion, or to stir up any controversy . . . just one middle-aged man's Maverick opinion 45-days in. Happy Thanksgiving!
Thanks for the encouragement to us hybrid buyers, that was music to my ears. Really good review, thanks.

Sponsored

Hubatola

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Written off Buick SUV

IMG_5621 (1).JPG
cogswell.png
IMG_5619 (2).JPG
load.JPG

Great review, Thank you!

Deleted member 6544

Thank you for the review. Mine is ordered close to yours sans the rear window. I got to thinking you can't open or close from the drivers seat. My pu doesn't like hanging out a window haha.

Stetson

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler, 2014 Ford Raptor, 2018 Fiesta ST
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Great review. I am still on the fence about ordering one. I am hoping this chip shortage and other material shortages will subside by next summer so I can see one in person and possibly buy one without the absurd dealer mark-ups.

WJOHNM

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Equinox, redline. XLT,AWD,4KTOW,FX4 ,CO PILOT360
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I just fiddled with that little center head rest -- I couldn't find a quick/easy way to remove it, but I'm not very mechanically inclined. It felt like one piece, but I could be wrong. It probably matters as to the size of your dog how it will impact things. It really doesn't protrude above the sliding rear window, and I have the center cup-holder console . . . which a smaller dog could easily stand on and increase their ability to look out the window. Hope this helps a bit!
Thanks for your efforts she is only a 65lb lab, I'll eventually see a Maverick locality, something tells me I have plenty of time, I just put my order in a month ago.

IslaDelDan

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat FX4 & 2019 Edge
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Thanks for your opinion - I appreciate it. Being in Galveston rain is what I'll see for the most part and I think I'll stick with the Pirelli's and save the money. I've had aggressive tread on F-150's and am looking forward to a quieter ride. I agree that If I was in a snow/mud/rough area I may need a more aggressive tread like the Pinza or Wildpeak.

Sponsored

jcnnjc

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fiesta ST , Alto Blue Maverick awd fx4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

IMG_5621 (1).JPG
cogswell.png
IMG_5619 (2).JPG
load.JPG

Ford Maverick 45 Day Owner Review of Maverick XLT IMG_5621 (1).JPG
Ford Maverick 45 Day Owner Review of Maverick XLT cogswell
Ford Maverick 45 Day Owner Review of Maverick XLT IMG_5619 (2).JPG
Ford Maverick 45 Day Owner Review of Maverick XLT load.JPG
Thanks for the great write up, can you show a photo of your kayak extension?
Looking forward to putting my kayaks in the Mav once I get it.
Should be easier than putting them on top the Fiesta ST!

Ford Maverick 45 Day Owner Review of Maverick XLT 4448E5AA-63F3-412E-BDC8-28BD50DA31CD

Goose..you there?

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Yes sir, good job…one thing I am horrible at, writing well. I’m torn between the XLT and the XL. But it will be a hybrid for sure. I ordered about six weeks back, I figure I have some time before I have to a firm decision. As of now an XLT on order

zBernie

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Sonata
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
[QUOTE

QUOTE]

In case you were not aware, the best audio quality in any vehicle is achieved by connecting a USB thumb drive loaded with .mp3 files. The reason is that it uses the vehicle's digital audio controller (DAC) instead of the phones tiny DAC. I've confirmed the superior audio quality in several vehicles using USB, after reading an article about this many years ago. Plus, you can still use voice commands to play your music from the USB drive, according to Ford.

It's a bit more of a hassle, but the improved sound quality is worth it in my opinion.

-Bernie

OP
OP

GregS

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Honda Ridgeline
Thanks for the great write up, can you show a photo of your kayak extension?
Looking forward to putting my kayaks in the Mav once I get it.
Should be easier than putting them on top the Fiesta ST!

4448E5AA-63F3-412E-BDC8-28BD50DA31CD.jpeg
I hope to get you a picture today, time permitting. Definitely an easier setup that the one you posted with your Fiesta. I suspect you'll feel safer on the road, too. In advance, this is the extension I ordered -- not so smart on links, but you should be able to copy and paste this into google or Amazon:
JMTAAT Foldable Pick Up Truck Bed Hitch Extender Extension Rack Canoe Boat Kayak Lumber w/Flag 400-Pound Capacity

OP
OP

GregS

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Honda Ridgeline
Thanks for your efforts she is only a 65lb lab, I'll eventually see a Maverick locality, something tells me I have plenty of time, I just put my order in a month ago.
My guess is your lab will have no problem sticking her snout out that window and enjoying the ride!
Sponsored