First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Does the Maverick with the base Hybrid engine being offered qualify for any federal tax credit? From what I can tell, this only applies to for EV and Plug-In Hybrids, but I hope I'm wrong.
Sponsored

technolithic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
NA
Think the tax credits are only for EVs and Plug-Ins. My locality happens to offer a cheaper excise tax (2% vs 5.4%[if 2.0 ballpark estimates are to be believed]) for any vehicle with 40mpg city or higher, but that's about it. Maybe I'm missing something though

NotAnonymous

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Must be nice. More than one state actually charges an extra fee if you have a hybrid and an even higher extra fee if it's an electric automobile.

Sponsored

NotAnonymous

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It's probably jersey... We have a rain tax
Nope, guess just another state trying to make up for folks not chipping in to the gas tax. As always, drivers pay one way or another - such is life.

Last edited:
OP
OP
CACTI_HYBRID

CACTI_HYBRID

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Must be nice. More than one state actually charges an extra fee if you have a hybrid and an even higher extra fee if it's an electric automobile.
Seriously? Oil state like Texas or Alaska? What is their rationale?

NotAnonymous

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Coal state in the Midwest. They say it's to make up for gas tax shortfalls - not kidding.

RobBot

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Toyota Tacoma
Seriously? Oil state like Texas or Alaska? What is their rationale?
Generally the rationale is to make up for the missing gas tax, however most states are WAY over charging for it.

JASmith

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Coal state in the Midwest. They say it's to make up for gas tax shortfalls - not kidding.
That makes sense to me. Wear and tear on roads is generally a matter of vehicle weight and Evs and hybrids are rarely lighter, and from a use standpoint they use the roads as much as any other vehicle, yet are contributing little or nothing when taxes are based on fuel usage. What they could do is remove all gasoline taxes entirely and tax all vehicles based on a formula of vehicle weight/size and mileage, as people that rarely drive or ride a scooter should pay less.

Sponsored

NotAnonymous

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I don't disagree that all motorists should contribute to road wear and tear, but in my head it just seems like backwards thinking to penalize drivers who are at least somewhat trying to move away from ICE engines. Then, again, that's what always (at least initially) happens when new tech disrupts the status quo. I'd venture to guess the tables will turn eventually.

clavicus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Lux Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
If I'm not mistaken, even gas tax rates have not increased with inflation since the 90's, so something's gotta give eventually.

NotAnonymous

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
If I'm not mistaken, even gas tax rates have not increased with inflation since the 90's, so something's gotta give eventually.
Yeah, there's always tradeoffs as we (taxpayers) are gonna be tapped to pay one way or another. It just seems to be a bit of a contradiction to be encouraged to move to hybrid or electric vehicles but then have a premium tacked on. Not complaining because I know what I'm walking into getting the hybrid Maverick, just an observation.

Old Ranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee 2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
when I lived in CA they issued a limited number of free passes for the carpool lane each year for buyers of qualifying EVs, hybrids, etc. to incentivize people to buy them. Always lots of EV sales earlier in the year to take advantage of that. Then came the buyer complaints later in the year after all passes had been issued :ROFLMAO:

NotAnonymous

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Since there are quite a few hybrids on the market, I understand why states are now concentrating on EVs and plug-in hybofor tax credits.
Sponsored