First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Ford Focus, 2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Could someone please strap a hybrid Maverick to a Dyno and post results?

I want to know:

It's 191 hp accurate?

Is the torque only 155? Or did the system provide more overall? If so, what's that number?

If you are the one to get this done 👏👏👏 you're a hero.
Sponsored

djw479

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Mav Lariat Lux / '90 ZR-1 / '03 Yamaha V-Max
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Great idea! (y) So I just clicked "Watch this thread".

While peak HP would be interesting to know for passing on 2-lane highways, etc, what I'm really interested in is the TQ curve. From the 0-60MPH times stated by C&D and MotorTrend I imagine the battery side of the drivetrain adds TQ beyond the 155lbs stated.

And since conventional ICE drivetrains suffer some parasitic loss in overall numbers on a dyno, I'd also be interested in if the eCVT reduces the normal loss or ??? But I don't know how that would be calculated.

I'm a Hybrid engine/eCVT neophyte so the above questions are based on my ICE background.

OP
OP
mamboman777

mamboman777

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Great idea! (y) So I just clicked "Watch this thread".

While peak HP would be interesting to know for passing on 2-lane highways, etc, what I'm really interested in is the TQ curve. From the 0-60MPH times stated by C&D and MotorTrend I imagine the battery side of the drivetrain adds TQ beyond the 155lbs stated.

And since conventional ICE drivetrains suffer some parasitic loss in overall numbers on a dyno, I'd also be interested in if the eCVT reduces the normal loss or ??? But I don't know how that would be calculated.

I'm a Hybrid engine/eCVT neophyte so the above questions are based on my ICE background.
Who can we convince up do this? Who has access to a Dyno and a hybrid Maverick? 🤔🤷‍♂️

OP
OP
mamboman777

mamboman777

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

Sponsored

icegradner

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I was kind of shocked by the low number my 08 Camry Hybrid with a 140HP ICE and 40HP electric drive is rated to 199fp of torque. The only thing I can think of is that Ford kept the torque down to improve city fuel economy by lengthening how long the system can run on the battery.

fbov

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Escape Hybrid
I imagine the battery side of the drivetrain adds TQ beyond the 155lbs stated.
The 155 ft-lb. is the ICE. The traction motor is more like 175 ft-lb. from 0 RPM (current limited).

However, given the ICE needs to run at high power to generate the current that drives the traction motor to these levels, you need the lower number to achieve the higher. The HVB DC-AC converter in a hybrid doesn't have the capacity to provide more than ~1/3 of it.

And yes, it would be very interesting to see a dyno report, both a fast sweep, a la 0-60, and a slow sweep, to see steady-state output. I expect the two will differ substantially.
Sponsored