Sponsored

Cold Weather Performance for Hybrid Maverick?

Minimoto7

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
I live in Northern Michigan where temperatures routinely get under 20F in the winter. What performance decrease can I expect going with the hybrid? Will the hybrid be less efficient in these temperatures? Will this impact battery longevity?
Sponsored

MDmaverick

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid Xl
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I live in Northern Michigan where temperatures routinely get under 20F in the winter. What performance decrease can I expect going with the hybrid? Will the hybrid be less efficient in these temperatures? Will this impact battery longevity?
My experience is based on two of my vehicles (a previous 2011 Honda Insight and my wife's Rav4 Hybrid). So please take keep this in mind. My wife's Rav4 will average between 30-35mpg in the winter. In Spring through early winter (re: December) it will average 35-40 mpg. Two factors come to mind. First winter grade fuels are used and will typically reduce mileage slightly on all cars but it feels a little more pronounced in hybrids. The other factor is that the battery likes to be in an optimum temperature (not too hot or cold) and lower temps make the battery less efficient until it gets to proper temperature. My experience is about a 10-15% drop in economy. Also my earlier Insight experienced far worse mpg drops than the current Rav4. It may be that the Toyota uses a better formulation for its batteries.

fbov

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Escape Hybrid
Here's what I see in my 2020 Escape Hybrid. Last February we averaged 23.9F with 30" of snow. There are two caveats: these are long trips at steady speed, both of which mitigate warm-up issues. Short trips and stop-n-go driving will have a negative effect that's not captured here. I also have a block heater that I use regularly to reduce cold weather impacts. YMMV

Ford Maverick Cold Weather Performance for Hybrid Maverick? 1632158609707

Given where you live, you will find that cold is the enemy of the HVB. This link has a table showing the limits.
- charge limits are 0C / 32F; the HVB will not charge below freezing
- discharge limit is -20C / -4F with great reduction in capacity at lower temps
(But discharge provides heat due to internal resistance, so it's self-correcting with use.)

I had one -7F night in the C-Max, and it's a different car for a short while, until the HVB warms up. That kind of cold is not reflected above. It was a mild winter, never below 0F, and I stayed home that day (retired).

Benson

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Benson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
To compare w/ different climate, my Kia Niro averages a good 5 mpg's in winter in San Francisco Bay area. In summer, I increase mpg's from a 51 mpg average to 53-54.

icegradner

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Cold weather will cause voltage drops, and decrease how long it can run on electric only power. However it's not cold that hurts battery performance long term, rather it is hot weather will have an affect on battery longevity. People who live in hot climates do seem to have a higher battery failure rate in hybrids.

Sponsored

Benson

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Benson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
20F? Must be nice. Going to hit -24F, yes, -24F this weekend.
I live in Northern Cali and winter temps in the 30's-40's are as cold as i could ever take!

Big Rock

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F-150 4x4
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Just curious, where in Northern Michigan do you live ? I live just north of the Mackinac Bridge. Ordered a XLT hybrid with Lux pkg and floor liners late June, was told by Ford CS maybe 4/1/22. Hoping much sooner, then I can try the heater. Did you order a hybrid ?

STARCOMMTREY1

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350, Ultra Classic, Versa Note and soon to be Mav
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Cold weather will cause voltage drops, and decrease how long it can run on electric only power. However it's not cold that hurts battery performance long term, rather it is hot weather will have an affect on battery longevity. People who live in hot climates do seem to have a higher battery failure rate in hybrids.
With the liquid cooling this should be negated greatly

icegradner

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

With the liquid cooling this should be negated greatly
I wasn't talking about while driving, that's fine thanks to the cooling. Ambient temperatures while parked is what I was referring to. Ambient temperatures over 100F can degrade battery life, long term.

Sponsored

mla_anderson

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Focus SE Coupe, 22 F-150 Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Given where you live, you will find that cold is the enemy of the HVB. This link has a table showing the limits.
- charge limits are 0C / 32F; the HVB will not charge below freezing
- discharge limit is -20C / -4F with great reduction in capacity at lower temps
(But discharge provides heat due to internal resistance, so it's self-correcting with use.)
I'm regularly below -10F, so I guess it's good I got the EB

OP
OP

Minimoto7

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Just curious, where in Northern Michigan do you live ? I live just north of the Mackinac Bridge. Ordered a XLT hybrid with Lux pkg and floor liners late June, was told by Ford CS maybe 4/1/22. Hoping much sooner, then I can try the heater. Did you order a hybrid ?
Small world! I live in Traverse City, ended up going XLT Ecoboost AWD, and I don’t expect delivery for months. Ultimately, I chose the Ecoboost for AWD in the winter

fbov

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Escape Hybrid
Ambient temperatures over 100F can degrade battery life, long term.
While this is true, degradation also depends on charge level. Life impacts are small at the 50% charge level a hybrid operates. It's only bad if you also plug in, so you're storing at high charge levels, too.
Sponsored