First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I installed the tailgate assist some time ago and just noticed today that the upper mounting plate (the one that attaches to the body of the truck) had twisted clockwise a bit - that is, the bottom of the plate swung out towards the back of the truck. The shock of the assist doing its job apparently puts enough force on the plate to turn it. The bend in the plate is supposed to fit into the bend of the sheet metal beneath it and prevent it from moving, but that is not enough in my case, even when the Torx bolt is very tight. Has anyone else experienced this and have a solution?

I wish there were a second bolt to keep the plate in place. Instead, if there's no better fix, I'll probably stick a piece of Gorilla two-sided mounting tape under the plate and see if that helps..

Interestingly, most other people have mentioned some degree of trouble with the lower plate on the tailgate, but I never had an issue with that (after the mildly frustrating installation)!
Sponsored

Hardening2753

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Can you post a picture of how it looks vs how it should look

OP
OP
bluesteel

bluesteel

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Yeah, I should’ve done that before our rain and ice started coming down this morning. Will do when able if no one else has good feedback based on the written explanation!

KdeB

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XLT, 2018 Subaru Forester, 1966 MGB
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I installed the tailgate assist some time ago and just noticed today that the upper mounting plate (the one that attaches to the body of the truck) had twisted clockwise a bit - that is, the bottom of the plate swung out towards the back of the truck. The shock of the assist doing its job apparently puts enough force on the plate to turn it. The bend in the plate is supposed to fit into the bend of the sheet metal beneath it and prevent it from moving, but that is not enough in my case, even when the Torx bolt is very tight. Has anyone else experienced this and have a solution?

I wish there were a second bolt to keep the plate in place. Instead, if there's no better fix, I'll probably stick a piece of Gorilla two-sided mounting tape under the plate and see if that helps..

Interestingly, most other people have mentioned some degree of trouble with the lower plate on the tailgate, but I never had an issue with that (after the mildly frustrating installation)!
Is this the DeeZee tailgate assist (the one Ford markets as an accessory) or another brand? And did you install it with the hydraulic cylinder on top, as instructions specify, or on the bottom, as some have done?

(There was an earlier thread where people were saying it didn’t matter which end was up, so just curious how yours was installed, since you’re having this problem.)

GTBuzz

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Yes I had that happen on mine as well. If I open the gate and immediatly let go, the small drop, before the piston engages to slow it down, rotates the bottom of the bracket out.

I just hold the gate for the first inch or two of opening and the bracket stays mostly in place.

The bottom can rotate away from bed from the force of the piston. Mine isn't too bad in this pic, but I've had it rotate pretty far out before the bend in the bracket catches. Rotates around cable support.

Ford Maverick Tailgate assist top mounting plate twists clockwise 20230416_104739

Sponsored

Redneck Garage

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.theredneckgarage.com
Vehicle(s)
10 Wrangler 22 Lexus 22 Maverick 23 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Id bet that if you took some clear silicone and put it on the back of the plate then tighten it down it would keep it from shifting as well as not destroying the paint.

KdeB

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XLT, 2018 Subaru Forester, 1966 MGB
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Thanks for the alert on this — Checked out our tailgate assist and the same thing has happened. Might try the suggestion to dab a little dab or two of silicone back there, or maybe some felt padding. Something to keep it from shifting…

OP
OP
bluesteel

bluesteel

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Is this the DeeZee tailgate assist (the one Ford markets as an accessory) or another brand? And did you install it with the hydraulic cylinder on top, as instructions specify, or on the bottom, as some have done?

(There was an earlier thread where people were saying it didn’t matter which end was up, so just curious how yours was installed, since you’re having this problem.)
My cylinder is attached to the tailgate. That is weird, because I remember a thread like you're referring to and was sure I had followed the instructions properly, but nope!

Yes I had that happen on mine as well. If I open the gate and immediatly let go, the small drop, before the piston engages to slow it down, rotates the bottom of the bracket out.

I just hold the gate for the first inch or two of opening and the bracket stays mostly in place.

The bottom can rotate away from bed from the force of the piston. Mine isn't too bad in this pic, but I've had it rotate pretty far out before the bend in the bracket catches. Rotates around cable support.
Yep, that’s my problem. Thanks for posting the photos.

It sure would be nice if the tailgate had a gradual drop from the beginning instead of after falling a couple-few inches, but I suppose there are mechanical limitations to that.

Tim d

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

Perhaps a locking star washer under the mounting plate instead of a flat washer would help.​
Sponsored