Darnon

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It's not just a Ford issue. GM and Chrysler at least also use the capped lug nuts and have the same problem come 6 or 7 years.
Sponsored

adawalli

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Explorer Platinum, 2010 Toyota Prius 3
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I have had the issue on my 2012 fusion and my 2017 explorer. Both times, an $18 sept of lugs from Amazon fixed it. Don’t let it get to the point of swelling because I can be terrible to get off to the point where you can mess up your wheel when you have to chisel through the outer casing. if it hasn’t gotten that far, a 19.5mm socket can help too

MaverickTopGun

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
Banned
First Name
Quagmire
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Venza
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Ford still using 2-piece lug nuts? That's Nuts. Here are some OE-style, but 1-Piece, won''t swell: in the required M14-1.5 thread size, conical seats of course.

David F

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
A bit off topic, but may affect Maverick. I had my 2014 Escape in the dealer for maintenance last week. They said that the lug nuts were swelling and needed to be replaced. Not trying to sell me new ones, suggested I get some at auto parts store and they would replace mine. Apparently they have an outer "chrome" cover that gets water under it and then swells to the point that the lug wrench won't fit over it. I've never heard of this before.
This happened to me on my kids Escape. They weren't very big on maintenance and when I offered to do a brake job I found half the lug nuts swollen. They looked chrome plated but actually raw steel with a shiny metal covering that corrodes underneath. If you discover this trying to change a flat tire on the side of the road you are SOL.
Got a nut extractor for my battery impact wrench and bought new real chrome lug nuts online. Ford has been sued for this as many people have been stranded for a flat and needed a tow.

MaverRick

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 MachE 4EX 2022 Maverick Lariat FX4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
We had this issue on our 2014 Cmax. Never did replace the lug nuts since our local dealer was still able to remove them for tire rotations.

Sponsored

Felixtech

First Name
Felix
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 Accord EXL, 82 XJ750, 23 Maverick ordered
This issue has been pretty prominent over the last 10 years i think lol..
as a tech wed buy the half sockets (19.5 and 21.5 specifically) to be able to remove them usually. Sometimes theyd swell up so badly that theyd need the next size up..
Just happens when people hammer them on with an impact with no regards to torque numbers. Not to mention if theyre really bad, chiseling the cap off whilst trying to not scratch the wheel can be a HUGE PITA. Do yourself a favor (and whoever will be working on your Mav in the future)and grab yourself a nice set of Gorilla Lugs or Mutekis (my personally favs to use)

Last edited:

FriscoTXJoe

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
Banned
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Is this a new way of saying someone has blue balls?

Bj517

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
As others have said, the OEM nuts are two piece. A main hunk of steel with a chrome cap. Apparently they're prone to corrosion and swelling. I replaced all mine (and wanted to switch to black anyway).

Ford Maverick Swelling Lug Nuts PXL_20220501_131942628

Ranch

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Marverick FX4 4K
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
When I worked back parts counter at a Ford dealer we would see this lug nut problem all of the time. A full set of Ford lugs nuts can run over $130 and they will eventually suffer the same failure.

If the vehicle was out of warranty we would run down to a nearby tire shop and buy solid chrome lug nuts for $2 apiece. Way cheaper and they will last a lot longer. .

Maverickman74

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Bronco, 91 Comanche, 93 ZJ, 80 Eagle, Bicycle
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Yeah all my jeeps 80s and 90s and 2000s jeeps have different sized lug nuts, the chrome comes of and it steps down a mm. My DD ZJ is waiting on front breaks because I had to order a nut extractor socket because the jackwagons with their air guns at the tire shop blasted away on one of em. Lets just say after fighting with hammering on different sockets for 2 hours I went and ordered a manual tire changer.

Sponsored

MaverickTopGun

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
Banned
First Name
Quagmire
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Venza
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It's happened to every Ford I've owned. I always replace them with McGard lug nuts. Can't beat them plus they're made near where I live.
I settled on the McGard 64073, only a little longer than the awful OE nuts. Made in USA (not cheap unknown metal from China), seems to have a long lasting plating to avoid rust,
Gorilla almost got my vote, but Amazon reviewers kept saying they arrived a bit banged up, some rust.
Thought my local AutoZone would have them, no luck there. Also higher priced. Same for Advance Auto Parts.
Walmart or Amazon are the best options in my area.

Last edited:

dadd75

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.universityofheaven.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid Lariat, 2013 Buick Encore
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I thought Ford would have corrected this poor design error. I had the same ones on my 2014 Ford Fusion. I guess this will be my first change on the Mav. Estimated build date is Oct. 17th. Ordered on Nov. 1st 2021.
I had them on my first new car, a 1984 Ford EXP. I had them on my 2018 F150. I already have purchases solid chrome ones for my Maverick, just haven't gotten it yet, but hopefully soon! (It has been shipped).

huunvubu

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I settled on the McGard 64073, only a little longer than the awful OE nuts. Made in USA (not cheap unknown metal from China), seems to have a long lasting plating to avoid rust,
Gorilla almost got my vote, but Amazon reviewers kept saying they arrived a bit banged up, some rust.
Thought my local AutoZone would have them, no luck there. Also higher priced. Same for Advance Auto Parts.
Walmart or Amazon are the best options in my area.
Question: Why does Amazon say these "McGard 64073" Lug Nuts will not fit a MY2022 Maverick?

Is it because they are a little longer like you mention?

Can you post a picture with them installed on your Maverick.

MichaelG

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Ranger
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Question: Why does Amazon say these "McGard 64073" Lug Nuts will not fit a MY2022 Maverick?

Is it because they are a little longer like you mention?

Can you post a picture with them installed on your Maverick.
The stock lug nut wrench that comes with the jack for the vehicle will not fit the McGard lug nuts. The McGards will need a smaller lug nut wrench.
Sponsored