MikeyG

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Looking to swap out the factory chrome lug nuts on my XLT wheels for black ones. I was thinking of getting the spline kind so I have some type of security. Can someone tell me what size lug nuts I would need?
Sponsored

OP
OP

MikeyG

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Any certain brand you recommend?

OP
OP

MikeyG

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I’ll check them out. 150ftlbs is that how tight they need to be?

Sponsored

VRausch

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT EB 4K Tow
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Any certain brand you recommend?
McGard is an OEM supplier and makes quality standard lug nuts, along with some other options as well. They are hardened and tempered IIRC, as well as plated for color, and should hold up to the required torque no problem.

The cheap nuts are just garbage steel and many times way too soft. They are usually painted too, which means they will chip and get damaged with install/removal.

14mustangNJ

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT FX4, 2014 Ford Mustang
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I can recommend Gorilla and McGard.

I have black McGard wheel locks on my mustang with black lug nuts, they held up well. I use 1 per wheel along with I believe an eBay set of black lug nuts that held up but if you look close the black paint on them has faded a bit. They were fairly cheap and because of the Shelby style carbon wheels, you won’t be able to tell unless you look really close.

Gorilla I used on a Jeep Wrangler TJ for years and they held up amazingly well even through winter driving. The downside is all lugs are locking and I had to be careful to ensure that Joe Dope with an impact wrench didn’t destroy them when going in for state inspections, etc. That’s why I went with McGard on my Mustang because tire changes, especially for the rear are typically a 1-2 year occurrence with regular driving or shorter if your beating on it with burnouts, track use, etc. So if the locking lug nuts got destroyed, not a big deal vs Gorilla that would be more expensive to replace as it was an entire set of locking lug nuts you have to buy. Maybe that’s changed now but back when I bought them for my Jeep, you couldn’t buy just 4 locking lug nuts at least for the stud size it used with Gorilla.

Since the Maverick is a truck, you’ll probably be fine with either vs the vehicles I mentioned above that were more performance and off-road oriented. For sheer quality, I would say Gorilla because despite being on a Jeep in PA in the winter, they still looked like new even in the chrome form every winter.