TSAINTS1115

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
AWD has become an amazing marketing tool. Most of us who actually live in the mountains, with snow half the year, don't drive AWD/4WD vehicles. There is no doubt that having 4 drive wheels is of benefit for off-roading and drag racing from a full stop, but its utility is very marginal in every other context. Up to you to decide whether the added cost and possible maintenance is worth it. In OP's case, sounds like it probably isn't, but I'm not OP.
I've found out a set of good snow tires is far more important that number of drive wheels. Of course AWD and snow tires is the best combo but is it really worth the offset the rest of the time? For a flatlander like me in IL, no.
Sponsored

Atisko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan rogue
Here ya go...
City %Hwy %EB AWDHybrid% diffMPG diff$/yr (@18K $3.20)$/yr (@15K $3.20)5 yr est
100​
0​
22​
42​
91%​
20​
$ 1,246.75$ 1,038.96$ 5,714.29
90​
10​
22.7​
41.1​
81%​
18.4​
$ 1,135.99$ 946.65$ 5,206.60
80​
20​
23.4​
40.2​
72%​
16.8​
$ 1,028.70$ 857.25$ 4,714.89
70​
30​
24.1​
39.3​
63%​
15.2​
$ 924.39$ 770.33$ 4,236.80
60​
40​
24.8​
38.4​
55%​
13.6​
$ 822.58$ 685.48$ 3,770.16
55​
45​
25.2​
37.95​
51%​
12.8​
$ 772.47$ 643.73$ 3,540.50
50​
50​
25.5​
37.5​
47%​
12​
$ 722.82$ 602.35$ 3,312.94
40​
60​
26.2​
36.6​
40%​
10.4​
$ 624.70$ 520.59$ 2,863.22
30​
70​
26.9​
35.7​
33%​
8.8​
$ 527.82$ 439.85$ 2,419.17
20​
80​
27.6​
34.8​
26%​
7.2​
$ 431.78$ 359.82$ 1,979.01
10​
90​
28.3​
33.9​
20%​
5.6​
$ 336.22$ 280.18$ 1,541.01
0​
100​
29​
33​
14%​
4​
$ 240.75$ 200.63$ 1,103.45
thank you I appreciate it!

Note that the 5 year estimate is just the mid point of the two annual estimates multiplied by 5.
Thank you I sincerely appreciate it! I think there’s a bunch of analytical minds on this post!

Here’s a challenge for the super smart! If you do a 1 inch lift in the front and level out maverick The windshield angle would lower the coefficient of drag. How much would that improve mpg@75mph?🤔🧐

Atisko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan rogue
AWD has become an amazing marketing tool. Most of us who actually live in the mountains, with snow half the year, don't drive AWD/4WD vehicles. There is no doubt that having 4 drive wheels is of benefit for off-roading and drag racing from a full stop, but its utility is very marginal in every other context. Up to you to decide whether the added cost and possible maintenance is worth it. In OP's case, sounds like it probably isn't, but I'm not OP.
On pavement,Correct, acceleration upper a grade is the one aspect four-wheel-drive it’s a significant improvement.

fordtruckguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford truck
Similar situation. I have a hybrid on order and ended up buying a awd eco 4k FX4 off the lot. Coming from a sedan so figured a FWD maverick would add enough addition utility over previous car.

Still on the fence if I should sell the eco when the hybrid comes in or not. But I’m coming around to the value of the extra utility the awd provides. Already done some towing and it’s nice to know I can do some light off roading if needed.

brdl04

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Expedition
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
You hybrid folks are funny. There's more to a vehicle than MPG's, carbon foot prints and all that other stuff you California people lose sleep over. Look, if those things matter most, then you have to wait for your hybrid. It's s that simple. Don't compromise.

However, if you feel you need a more capable vehicle then you have to go with the EB, because it is. Again, its that simple.

I sense you want your vehicle sooner rather than later and are willing to make tradeoffs to do so. That almost always ends in dissapointment.
As a Michigan native that has owned many 4wd vehicles, diesels and low MPG options for specific uses, my hybrid consideration is solely on cost savings of roughly $900/yr and reduced cost up front of $3,000.

Don't worry, I do not need an FX4 sticker on the side of my mini truck to compensate for what's in my pants.

Sponsored

Platinum2

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I don't see anything "silly" about his considerations (and I'm not sure what other hybrid owners have to do with the post).

He's being pretty logical. Wants to maximize efficiency/cost and capability. It's up to the OP to determine whether the marginal added utility a few times a year is worth potentially $1500-2,000/yr in added costs.
I never said anything was "silly." Furthermore, my initial response is in agreement with you. The OP needs to determine what his needs truly are. If he is trading off features (hybrid) to gain additional capability (awd) because it is necessary, then great. However, if in reality he is trading off features (hybrid) to get a vehicle sooner rather than later and using the benefits of awd capability as a justification for doing so when the added utility is not needed, thus often results in disappointment. That was the premise of my initial response to the OP. Sorry if you didn't follow. 👍

I have also noticed on this forum that hybrid buyers seem to place MPG above all else. There is more to vehicle ownership than how good the gas mileage is. The OP is perhaps starting to come to this realization.

Platinum2

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
As a Michigan native that has owned many 4wd vehicles, diesels and low MPG options for specific uses, my hybrid consideration is solely on cost savings of roughly $900/yr and reduced cost up front of $3,000.

Don't worry, I do not need an FX4 sticker on the side of my mini truck to compensate for what's in my pants.
Curious.....if the hybrid was the same price as a 2.0 AWD would you have still purchased the hybrid?

Old Ranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee 2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
For those who took delivery of the EcoBoost, specifically an AWD, what's your opinion on how it performs?

I have a hybrid Mav ordered back in july but thinking about going for the EcoBoost with AWD. I found a couple of dealer stocks around my area that are selling for MSRP. I'm on a crossroad whether to stay loyal to the hybrid calling as it will be much needed for my daily commute but the opportunity of having the engine already available is seducing me.

I live in LA where hybrid would trump over the Ecoboost but I do drive up to mountains on a few occasions each year and I'm thinking I need a more capable Maverick. As we have learned, even with the Ecoboost, you still get a significant better mileage on a truck that is pretty much unheard of. With more power and the awd, In my opinion, it's a fair compromise.

Any thoughts from my fellow hybrid ticket holders?
I'm not in the hybrid derby, but a couple more things to consider here: you can go ECO with just FWD and not get AWD: rated MPG is -1 with AWD vs. just FWD. Also, all Mavericks have auto start/stop feature. I lived in SoCal most my life and commuted to work on crowded freeways until just a couple years ago. Stop and go traffic 24/7 most places now in LA. I think the combo of just FWD Eco with stop start feature will be a plus for that type commuting and not a game changing difference vs. Hybrid on MPGs. Just my 2 cents... YMMV :cool:

brnpttmn

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I never said anything was "silly." Furthermore, my initial response is in agreement with you. The OP needs to determine what his needs truly are. If he is trading off features (hybrid) to gain additional capability (awd) because it is necessary, then great. However, if in reality he is trading off features (hybrid) to get a vehicle sooner rather than later and using the benefits of awd capability as a justification for doing so when the added utility is not needed, thus often results in disappointment. That was the premise of my initial response to the OP. Sorry if you didn't follow. 👍

I have also noticed on this forum that hybrid buyers seem to place MPG above all else. There is more to vehicle ownership than how good the gas mileage is. The OP is perhaps starting to come to this realization.
Ah, sorry. I should have said "funny," not silly, but that's just semantics. I didn't see how the generalization was important in the conversation. The OP mentions the current availability of the EB as context, but I didn't get the sense it was it was the primary consideration (even if you chose to interpret it that way).

And yes, Hybrid buyers are putting MGP above all else. Why wouldn't they? That's pretty much the killer feature.

Platinum2

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I think it is important to not group AWD and 4x4 in such a way as to suggest they are universally the same. They are not. AWD is generally an on-demand system that works in the background as you drive. The most modern systems, Ford's Intelligent AWD being one of them, distribute power, braking, etc. front to rear, side to side, and corner to corner, when necessary. All of this happebd automatically, for optimal driving performance. 4WD vehicles generally require manual selection of the feature and often distribute power from from to rear 50/50. There is generally no braking, vectoring, side to side (unless a locking differential is installed) or corner to corner power transfer.

This makes AWD, for most drivers, a better option than manually selectable 4WD designs. YMMV.

Sponsored

Platinum2

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Ah, sorry. I should have said "funny," not silly, but that's just semantics. I didn't see how the generalization was important in the conversation. The OP mentions the current availability of the EB as context, but I didn't get the sense it was it was the primary consideration (even if you chose to interpret it that way).

And yes, Hybrid buyers are putting MGP above all else. Why wouldn't they? That's pretty much the killer feature.
Except they aren't. Read this thread and you'll find many hybrid owners who swapped out for EB and some for AWD/FX4 to boot! So much for MPG's ruling the day.....🤔

brnpttmn

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Except they aren't. Read this thread and you'll find many hybrid owners who swapped out for EB and some for AWD/FX4 to boot! So much for MPG's ruling the day.....🤔
Well if they're buying the AWD/FX4 they're not "hybrid owners." That's why your comment doesn't make a lot of sense.

Platinum2

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Well if they're buying the AWD/FX4 they're not "hybrid owners." That's why your comment doesn't make a lot of sense.
OK, you're clearly not reading this thread. You're simply just responding to my posts. If you were, you would realize there are many "would be" hybrid owners that are swapping to EB/AWD/FX4. So, somewhere along the way some have realized the added benefits these options provide over the base $20K/FWD/40 MPG offering.

I still think many of them are likely swapping because of impatience.

stoptothink

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 VW jetta
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I think it is important to not group AWD and 4x4 in such a way as to suggest they are universally the same. They are not. AWD is generally an on-demand system that works in the background as you drive. The most modern systems, Ford's Intelligent AWD being one of them, distribute power, braking, etc. front to rear, side to side, and corner to corner, when necessary. All of this happebd automatically, for optimal driving performance. 4WD vehicles generally require manual selection of the feature and often distribute power from from to rear 50/50. There is generally no braking, vectoring, side to side (unless a locking differential is installed) or corner to corner power transfer.

This makes AWD, for most drivers, a better option than manually selectable 4WD designs. YMMV.
Very aware of the differences between AWD and 4WD. The only reason I lumped them together in that statement was because most trucks offer 4WD and not AWD.

Platinum2

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Very aware of the differences between AWD and 4WD. The only reason I lumped them together in that statement was because most trucks offer 4WD and not AWD.
Understood. Others may not be as aware. 👍
Sponsored