First Name
DB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fiat 500c, Dodge Grandkidsvan, Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Just interested in knowing how many of you would REALLY consider the Santa Cruz as an alternative to the Maverick !! When I look at the Hyundai/Kia line up, IMO, they target Toyota and Honda. Specifically, the Santa Cruz is positioned to compete with the Honda Ridgeline.
How many of you considered the Honda Ridgeline in your decision process ??
Although Maverick, Ridgeline and Santa Cruz “technically“ serve the same market, do they attract the same buyer ?? (ME: No)…
Personally, I was waiting for the new Nissan Frontier when I saw the Maverick release. DONE !!
The way I see it, Ford caught the automobile industry flat footed. I will be interested in seeing how long it will take Toyota to react. I am not sure GM chases the Maverick as they are laser focused on being an all Electric lineup.

Impatiently waiting…
Sponsored

Hot Runr Guy

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Edge SEL, 2024 Lariat AWD BAP 4K
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Just interested in knowing how many of you would REALLY consider the Santa Cruz as an alternative to the Maverick !! When I look at the Hyundai/Kia line up, IMO, they target Toyota and Honda. Specifically, the Santa Cruz is positioned to compete with the Honda Ridgeline.
Help me understand how you cross-shop the Santa Cruz vs the Ridgeline? The size difference alone makes them 2 completely different vehicles.

I've looked closely at the Ridgeline, as I feel it meets all of my needs. But Honda is pretty proud of it ($$$-wise), compared to my Z-plan purchase ability of a Ford product.

HRG

balucipher

First Name
Balu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator, 2021 Tesla Model Y
It looks like a really good product for the right buyer. Someone who doesn't need a ton of payload (bed payload is limited to 660lbs) but likes extra power and isn't bothered by low 20s MPG. Someone who likes a SUV/CUV interior with all the latest tech Hyundai has to offer. Someone who isn't price sensitive and likes the styling of the SC. I think it looks pretty good, like a modern day Subaru Baja with some Korean styling flair. I think anyone buying one will be really happy, and Hyundai/Kia really has ride quality and interior comfort down - I bet the SC will be quieter inside going down the road than the Maverick. I think Santa Cruz buyers will be more upscale, and appreciate not driving the same truck as the fleet trucks that will be everywhere once the Maverick has been out for a while. It's a different mentality, and I get it.

But for most people, 40mpg combined in the hybrid, a slightly longer bed with no specific bed payload limit, the cheaper pricing before incentives and dealer adjustments, and the work Ford has put into making the bed as functional as possible / making the cabin as clever as possible (I love that they thought of making the interior door handles to work to hold a bicycle inside with the front wheel off) makes the Maverick a more compelling buy. But I'm glad both exist. It's nice to have options, competition breeds better products, and I think this category of truck is exactly what people want and need.

BARTMAVERICK

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
From 2008-11 I leased a new Ridgeline and I liked it very much. It rode like a car and suited my light truck needs. The only reason I chose a Maverick over the Ridgeline this time was because the Ridgeline barely fit in my small single car garage and the Maverick will give me more room in the garage and still haul or tow anything that I need to.

notfast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Frontier PRO-4X Lux FFV
Engine
Undecided
Just interested in knowing how many of you would REALLY consider the Santa Cruz as an alternative to the Maverick
I would. But that doesn't mean I'd buy one. The Santa Cruz SE's estimated MSRP is $23,990, but you also get more standard features than the Maverick XL. The Santa Cruz SE also tops the Maverick hybrid's towing and payload at 3,500lbs towing and 1,748lb payload.

$37k for a turbo AWD Santa Cruz that gets in the low-20s for fuel economy pushes this well into Ranger/Frontier/Colorado/Ridgeline/one heck of a deal on a Tacoma territory, and you get a lot more "truck" for the money.

Like the Ridgeline, the in-bed trunk is cool I guess, but it's not usable unless the portion of the bed covering the trunk is empty or easily unloaded.

I'm a Ford/Mazda/Honda person and didn't even think of the Ridgeline. It has a 5.5' bed and is wider than a first-gen Chevrolet Silverado, which puts it into full-size territory. But it has the tightest crew-cab of a full-size and has maximum towing of 5,000lbs, which puts it into midsize territory.

I guess Honda realized that and priced it accordingly. An F-150 XL 4x4 SuperCrew with STX appearance is $44k MSRP and a Ranger XLT SuperCrew 4x4 is $37k MSRP, while a base Ridgeline is $37k MSRP. The Ridgeline comes standard with AWD and as a crew cab, and it has the not-insignificant 50" between wheel wells.

I suppose if you want AWD as opposed to 4WD and/or the ability to fit sheet goods flat on the bed floor while not having a cavernous crew cab, the Ridgeline might be the vehicle for you.

Overall, even though I personally wouldn't consider the Santa Cruz or the Ridgeline, more competition is better than less since it ultimately gives us the consumers more choices to pick from and find the best tool for our wants.

Sponsored

WhoAmI2021

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda 6S Wagon, E250, Kia Soul
The SC would meet my needs with the exception of the fuel economy and the 660lb limitation on the bed.

I think it is an attractive vehicle(although my wife hates it and questions why I would even consider a "truck" in the first year of production from a company that does not have a track record of building trucks. Then the pricing came out and I knew that ordering the Maverick was the right choice.

Down

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Maverick/02 Z06 Vette
I was originally considering the SC but as more info has come out on it, it's less and less appealing. I despise long vehicles, so the Ridgeline was never a consideration for me, since it broke the magical 200 inch length barrier.

Hungry Jack

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Rav 4
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The SC would meet my needs with the exception of the fuel economy and the 660lb limitation on the bed.

I think it is an attractive vehicle(although my wife hates it and questions why I would even consider a "truck" in the first year of production from a company that does not have a track record of building trucks. Then the pricing came out and I knew that ordering the Maverick was the right choice.

How often are any truck buyers with a 4.5 foot bed going to carry 1000 lbs of gravel or two refrigerators?

Abraxis

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Elantra, forester, ranger, crx
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Mav fits my needs better. Santa cruz fits my wants better. Higher price doesn't exclude me, but I love to extract value from all my purchases. I do think the Santa Cruz looks better, however those looks, just like any high fashion, are more likely to wear out vs a more classic look.

Hungry Jack

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Rav 4
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Mav fits my needs better. Santa cruz fits my wants better. Higher price doesn't exclude me, but I love to extract value from all my purchases. I do think the Santa Cruz looks better, however those looks, just like any high fashion, are more likely to wear out vs a more classic look.

To me, this is a Sport utility Truck. Ford makes the Ranger and F150 to handle work loads and hauling. I ordered a Maverick to throw junk in the bed so the interior stays clean.

Sponsored

Hot Runr Guy

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Edge SEL, 2024 Lariat AWD BAP 4K
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I was originally considering the SC but as more info has come out on it, it's less and less appealing. I despise long vehicles, so the Ridgeline was never a consideration for me, since it broke the magical 200 inch length barrier.
200" OAL is my magic number too. A Ranger SuperCab with a 5' box would conveniently come in just under that.

Too bad they don't offer it,,,,,,,,

HRG

JohnDLG

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I kind of dig "interesting" looking vehicles so the looks of the Santa Cruz didn't turn me off. That being said I'm also pretty frugal so the price and MPG ratings are the real deal breakers. The hybrid Maverick looks to be too good of a value to pass up.

Packer Bill

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda CX-5
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
The Maverick is a much better choice over the Santa Cruz for the following reasons:
1) price
2) payload and 4K towing package
3) the only pickup brand for me is Ford
4) the Santa Cruz looks like an SUV that had an accident that lost part of its top (LOL)

fishinmagician

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 maverick hybrid XL
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

If I was spending 35-40k I would def choose the Santa Cruz. More features, more power, way nicer interior. However I am only spending 25k, so the maverick is a better deal in that price range.

OP
OP
Dbarr

Dbarr

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
DB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fiat 500c, Dodge Grandkidsvan, Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Help me understand how you cross-shop the Santa Cruz vs the Ridgeline? The size difference alone makes them 2 completely different vehicles.

I've looked closely at the Ridgeline, as I feel it meets all of my needs. But Honda is pretty proud of it ($$$-wise), compared to my Z-plan purchase ability of a Ford product.

HRG

HRG
No cross shopping… Just fascinated by all the SC (negative comments) In the Maverick blog post. IMO, they are apples and oranges… I didn’t even consider the SC (or Ridgeline). I was waiting on the new Nissan Frontier. Just happened to see the Maverick report on June 8th. Reserved one, then placed the ordered on an XLT and traded my little Colorado… burned my bridges so to speak.
Sponsored