First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep renegade desert hawk
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Anyone know if the black filler strips on the roof are removable to expose mounting points? Maybe for an overland style roof rack?
Sponsored

glider

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 4runner 2019 Honda civic
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Same question. I don't like the racks that deform the door seal

Snax

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I've also been eyeballing rock options. Yakima has a nice one that fits our trucks, but it's only for the bed. OverHaul HD System – Yakima

For me, the ideal system would include one removable crossbar over the cab, with a removeable Overhaul bar on the rear of the bed. Would be great for carrying boats, lumber, etc. The cab bar might be attached with this system: Custom Install - Roof Racks | Yakima

Last edited:

deadeye

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Focus ST
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Anyone know if the black filler strips on the roof are removable to expose mounting points? Maybe for an overland style roof rack?
Sadly (as with most trucks) the answer is no. There is no threaded mounting points on the roof or they would offer a roof rack already.

Your options are:
1) bed rack
2) drill holes in roof (watch out for airbags) and install roof rails and/or cross bars.
3) thos crappy roof racks that clamp/scratch onto your paint and deform your door seals.

Mavito

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Coquito
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick AWD
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Has anyone removed the plastic roof rails to see if there are any mounting points like the Escape? Im in the same boat cause I dont want to install the roof racks that crimp the rubber door seal. Trying not to spend $800 also on the bed rack, but that may be my only option at this point since I have my Pro X15 tonneau cover already. I've been searching the web and looks like we only have 2 options for the bed rack and tonneau combo to work together.

Sponsored

zenithflyer

First Name
slavcha
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
toyota tacoma, VW GOLF, HD FLHTCU, Piper Warrior,

Delbert

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 Forester, honda Accord Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I am facing the same issue. I like the Yakima custom install and the local Kayak Company will do the install of the track on the roof and overhauls on the bed. It looks like it will be a $2k option. I am open to cheaper options.

MakinDoForNow

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Saw posted on a thread pictures. To remove the headliner has to be dropped and each one has 4 nuts that have to be removed to take them off. Apparently the headliner is easy to drop. The fasteners are evenly spaced with two near each end and the other spaced out. I will see if I can find thread and add it to this thread.

MakinDoForNow

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Check thread "Fixed-Point Roof Racks (Yakima Landing Pads)"
#13 reply has factory pictures on how to remove.

Delbert

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
If you check that thread, I gave up on removing the strip. Nuthin is easy.

Sponsored

MakinDoForNow

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
If you check that thread, I gave up on removing the strip. Nuthin is easy.
I did not say it was easy but it is the only way to remove the metal (aluminum?) Strip. Some are saying it is plastic but I believe the ends are plastic with a rubber underneath (some are having trouble with the rubber coming out, presumably from car washes) and the center metal is secured by 4 bolts. One reported that he gave up because the rear bolt had an air bag in the way.

Delbert

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I did not say it was easy but it is the only way to remove the metal (aluminum?) Strip. Some are saying it is plastic but I believe the ends are plastic with a rubber underneath (some are having trouble with the rubber coming out, presumably from car washes) and the center metal is secured by 4 bolts. One reported that he gave up because the rear bolt had an air bag in the way.
I tried and gave up. You have to to remove the door seal. The A B and C pillars. Then partially remove the head liner and bend it back enough to get in there but not so much as to break it. Then you have to dig past the air bag which is lightly taped to the door arch c channel. The nuts are inside the c channel with a small hole for access. To remove the entire headliner would involve removing much of the interior.

The strip itself is aluminum and looks to be a hydro formed extrusion both glued and bolted to the roof. It is fairly light guage. $350 for each one in the parts book. I would not recommend removing it. Someone said, and I agree, that Ford will have options for it in future models.

MakinDoForNow

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I tried and gave up. You have to to remove the door seal. The A B and C pillars. Then partially remove the head liner and bend it back enough to get in there but not so much as to break it. Then you have to dig past the air bag which is lightly taped to the door arch c channel. The nuts are inside the c channel with a small hole for access. To remove the entire headliner would involve removing much of the interior.

The strip itself is aluminum and looks to be a hydro formed extrusion both glued and bolted to the roof. It is fairly light guage. $350 for each one in the parts book. I would not recommend removing it. Someone said, and I agree, that Ford will have options for it in future models.
In making maverick diy friendly one would certainly have expected the "channel" covers to have been attached by topside bolts into nuts with a bottom to prevent too long a bolt from being used to attach rails or whatever without having to remove headliner, etc. (Hey they didn't ask me 2-4 years ago). They also could have included supports for additional roof support capacity!

clavicus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Lux Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

If no one comes out with an easy solution in the next year, I’m thinking rivet nuts and an existing rail track made for that type of install will be the way to go like discussed in the thread you were in.

Link for the homies it’s a great thread thanks for sharing your findings.

https://www.mavericktruckclub.com/forum/threads/fixed-point-roof-racks-yakima-landing-pads.10264/

RBM22

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT
Maybe not all trucks have the option to remove the strip and who knows if they have existing mounting points at all. Are you open for alternative roof racks? Less hassle in my opinion, Prinsu and Rhino Rack had plenty of roof rack bars if you are aiming for overland style roof rack.
Sponsored