First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Anyone know if the black filler strips on the roof are removable to expose mounting points? Maybe for an overland style roof rack?
This has been covered in a past thread. The filler strips , I believe are aluminum alloy with plastic ends. They are each held on by 4 nuts one near each end and 2 closer to center but either side of post between the doors. The head liner has to be partially removed to access them. I will see if I can find the thread. It appears that the truck was designed for roof rails but we're not available for 2022. Might be for 2023 but I think 2024 more likely.

Timothyd

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Buick Encore, Miata, motorcycles
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I've also been eyeballing rock options. Yakima has a nice one that fits our trucks, but it's only for the bed. OverHaul HD System – Yakima

For me, the ideal system would include one removable crossbar over the cab, with a removeable Overhaul bar on the rear of the bed. Would be great for carrying boats, lumber, etc. The cab bar might be attached with this system: Custom Install - Roof Racks | Yakima
That's what I'm planning.

Timothyd

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Buick Encore, Miata, motorcycles
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

This has been covered in a past thread. The filler strips , I believe are aluminum alloy with plastic ends. They are each held on by 4 nuts one near each end and 2 closer to center but either side of post between the doors. The head liner has to be partially removed to access them. I will see if I can find the thread. It appears that the truck was designed for roof rails but we're not available for 2022. Might be for 2023 but I think 2024 more likely.
Roof rails. Something to ask for for the '23. That I'm probably getting.

Sponsored

RBM22

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT
Sadly (as with most trucks) the answer is no. There is no threaded mounting points on the roof or they would offer a roof rack already.

Your options are:
1) bed rack
2) drill holes in roof (watch out for airbags) and install roof rails and/or cross bars.
3) thos crappy roof racks that clamp/scratch onto your paint and deform your door seals.

Correct.. as you mentioned we can only get a bed rack or drilling holes. I would with the a bed rack. I would not like to damage my roof.

TheSEARCH

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I am a kayaker and have been using clamp on style roof racks from both Thule and Yakima over 13 years now . I have not had any issue with damage to the paint or rubber door seals. I think your making way to much an issue about clamp on racks, I plan on if I ever get a Mav to use one clamp on bar up on cab then use the hitch t-bar for rear. This way the rear bar I remove and only have one up there lowering gas MPG. There was another thread on roof racks a few months back with pictures of what some members did. They had if I remember correctly rivet style rails put on cab. Then the cross bars attach to those rails and i think you can then remove the cross bars when not in use.

BlueSnake77

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT Ecoboost
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I am a kayaker and have been using clamp on style roof racks from both Thule and Yakima over 13 years now . I have not had any issue with damage to the paint or rubber door seals. I think your making way to much an issue about clamp on racks, I plan on if I ever get a Mav to use one clamp on bar up on cab then use the hitch t-bar for rear. This way the rear bar I remove and only have one up there lowering gas MPG. There was another thread on roof racks a few months back with pictures of what some members did. They had if I remember correctly rivet style rails put on cab. Then the cross bars attach to those rails and i think you can then remove the cross bars when not in use.
Same. I've used clamp on roof racks for 3 vehicles and never had issues either. I've used the Rhino rack Vortex Aero on my past 2 cars. I can use the one from my Escape on my Maverick as soon as I get the rubber pads that match the Maverick.

Etrailer has excellent service and some options for the Maverick:

https://www.etrailer.com/roof-2022_Ford_Maverick.htm

Mavonorder

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Camry
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I'm hoping Ford comes out with rivet style rails for the maverick as on add on. I like clean rails and the convenience of just carrying the crossbars only ( when not in use) which wouldn't take up much room in the bed when not in use. And doing rails diy would really stink if an air bag was punctured or a water leak developed later!

TheSEARCH

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'm hoping Ford comes out with rivet style rails for the maverick as on add on. I like clean rails and the convenience of just carrying the crossbars only ( when not in use) which wouldn't take up much room in the bed when not in use. And doing rails diy would really stink if an air bag was punctured or a water leak developed later!
Agree factory rails would be nice. My bufdy has Kia Soul. It has these pads that have rubber cover you remove then threaded bolt wholes under neath . You screw down cross bars to those. Can take off his car in a few minutes,.

Sponsored

Mavonorder

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Camry
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I don't know...to my eye, the black "rail" on the top of the flex in the photo looks a lot narrower than the black rail on the roof of the maverick. I'd measure the rail (depth and width) on a flex in person before ordering those rails for a Mav.

Update...I ordered this clamp on roof rack and one j-bar (1 reviewer said it only fit square and not round cross bars and the rack comes with angular cross bars so hope it will fit) and it was from Amazon for a total of about $96 shipped. I'll update the fit on the Mav and kayak after receiving/installing them. They look just as generic as the brand of the rack "Generico"...no joke. Only had 1 review which was 1 star due to lack of directions which came with the rack.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B09TXGNJQ8/ref=ya_aw_od_pi?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B08CR6K7DC/ref=ya_aw_od_pi?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited:

Klundog

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick 2.0 AWD
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
As best I can tell, the "landing pad" option is the only real solution. It involves dismantling and reassembly of the liner. Not for the novice mind you. My ultimate decision was the truck bed removable "Elevate" rack system. The matte powder coat finish matched up well with the Maverick matte black trim. https://truxedo.com/product-detail/1118513 (remember the rails)

Ford Maverick Roof rack IMG_8714

glider

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 4runner 2019 Honda civic
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Rivet mounting pads to the non-removable strips??

Last edited:

TheSEARCH

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
As best I can tell, the "landing pad" option is the only real solution. It involves dismantling and reassembly of the liner. Not for the novice mind you. My ultimate decision was the truck bed removable "Elevate" rack system. The matte powder coat finish matched up well with the Maverick matte black trim. https://truxedo.com/product-detail/1118513 (remember the rails)

IMG_8714.jpg
So this setup cost how much? Can you still ad a tri fold hard cover?