First Name
Benny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I just rode home side by side with a pale blue Santa Cruz for about 5 miles. It gave me some quality time to observe it from different angles while on moving.

First, looking back on it's front. The dramatic grill wasn't that dramatic at all. I didn't have any negative view on it.

Second, the rear view from it's behind. This is the best view of SC. You saw the bed and it's tailgate looks really solid and beautiful.

Third, now the side view. The good thing is nothing looks cheap at all. The bad thing is the revealing profile of a SUV with a truck bad cut out and the bed cutout is really short while the portion below the window is so big to say that it was born as a SUV.
Sponsored

Scupking

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I just rode home side by side with a pale blue Santa Cruz for about 5 miles. It gave me some quality time to observe it from different angles while on moving.

First, looking back on it's front. The dramatic grill wasn't that dramatic at all. I didn't have any negative view on it.

Second, the rear view from it's behind. This is the best view of SC. You saw the bed and it's tailgate looks really solid and beautiful.

Third, now the side view. The good thing is nothing looks cheap at all. The bad thing is the revealing profile of a SUV with a truck bad cut out and the bed cutout is really short while the portion below the window is so big to say that it was born as a SUV.
I think if the bed was a foot or more longer it would make the profile look much better. But as it is it just doesn't look right.

kcamp317

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Ford Escape Titanium Hybrid 16 Ford Escape SE
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
A person at my work has a new one and Ive checked it out. It is an interesting looking vehicle but I'm glad I have a maverick on order. I kinda prefer the more "ford/truck" look of the maverick personally but I don't see anything bad about the quality appearance or overall styling of the Santa Cruz if thats what styling and look you prefer. It reminds me more on Australian ute type vehicle.

gte105u

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Maverick Lariat, '17 Rogue SL, '14 Altima SV
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
It looks nice from the inside. Both the interior as well as looking out from interior. But looking at it from outside it's better than pictures but not great. I could see out of it well but I'm 6'. Sounds like shorter drivers may have visibility issues.

Nw_adventure

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Element/ Toyota Highlander
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Not into the SC styling but the tailgate with integrated lights is $$

Sponsored

FordHybrid

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Norman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

We have a KIA Niro hybrid and really like the KIA service quality. If KIA would have had a hybrid pickup I might have considered it. The Santa Cruz being of the same overall company still would not have tempted me since it isn't a hybrid. Really like a hybrid vehicle, it gives me great mpg and give or take 500 mile range on a tank load.

Bob The Builder

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Butch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Cherokee ** 2023 Mav FX/4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
My experience with Hyundai for 10 years was top shelf. Lots of recalls, but everything taken care of in good order. Dealership was good too. My issue with the Santa Cruz is the fact that I like a more traditional looking truck that I believe the Maverick has even with the unibody. Both the SC and the Santa Cruz may be tailored toward the younger set, but the SC looks the part more than the Maverick. I like that too. Cheers.

teh603

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Subaru Outback, '09 Honda Fit
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
A Santa Cruz moved in a couple of blocks down- in another direction from the local Maverick. It's not an ugly vehicle, but it kinda lacks something. Maybe brighter paint colors?

The shifter is kinda scary, though. The Maverick's dial is at least always there. The SC's somehow folds down into the center console? Tell me that's not going to cause trouble.

JimCT

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT FX4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I checked out the Santa Cruz before I got my Maverick.

Overall I quite liked it - yeah, the looks are...let's say...different. I get that it turns some people off, but I could get used to it. The trunk under the bed was cool, the interior was quite nice. I was torn on the integrated tonneau - it seemed great when using the bed as a trunk, but I worried about ice buildup on top in the winter. The bed size/shape (particularly with the tonneau) was awkward - while it's overall length is just a touch shorter than the Maverick its usability is really restricted - I don't think you get more than three and a half feet of open length.

I had a couple major issues that kept me from buying one though. First was the base engine - all the power of the hybrid Maverick but the fuel economy of the ecoboost? No thanks. Second was the price - to get the turbo SC was a huge markup from the Mav. Sure it's "nicer" inside, but not that nice. Third, and probably more than anything else, was the local Hyundai dealer. I swore I was reliving the movie Fargo (without the woodchipper, at least). I laughed and walked away when they told me they were marking up the already high msrp, they kept hounding me for two months after I got my Maverick.

BlueSnake77

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT Ecoboost
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I checked out the Santa Cruz before I got my Maverick.

Overall I quite liked it - yeah, the looks are...let's say...different. I get that it turns some people off, but I could get used to it. The trunk under the bed was cool, the interior was quite nice. I was torn on the integrated tonneau - it seemed great when using the bed as a trunk, but I worried about ice buildup on top in the winter. The bed size/shape (particularly with the tonneau) was awkward - while it's overall length is just a touch shorter than the Maverick its usability is really restricted - I don't think you get more than three and a half feet of open length.

I had a couple major issues that kept me from buying one though. First was the base engine - all the power of the hybrid Maverick but the fuel economy of the ecoboost? No thanks. Second was the price - to get the turbo SC was a huge markup from the Mav. Sure it's "nicer" inside, but not that nice. Third, and probably more than anything else, was the local Hyundai dealer. I swore I was reliving the movie Fargo (without the woodchipper, at least). I laughed and walked away when they told me they were marking up the already high msrp, they kept hounding me for two months after I got my Maverick.
The Hybrid Maverick has the same hp numbers as the 2.5L Santa Cruz but is almost 1 sec quicker 0-60 mph because of the assist from the electric motor. The AWD 2.5L SC actually gets 1 mpg better than the FWD version. Weird. It's usually the reverse.
I tested an SEL AWD. It is a more premium vehicle overall. Few things I don't like vs the maverick. Don't like it has a composite bed. Like that the Maverick has a steel bed. There has been many complaints by SC owners that have the lower trims about the headlights not being very good at night. For $1000 less than the SC SEL AWD, the Maverick XLT with lux pkg came with some things the SC SEL does not. Rear seat armrest, power ports in back seat console, 400W inverter in bed, and full size spare to name a few. Oh and 59 more hp. :cool:

Sponsored

ITSATRUCK

First Name
TIM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MAVERICK
Saw one in white today. Best colour I have seen on Santa cruz. My Maverick is still better. 😎

14mustangNJ

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT FX4, 2014 Ford Mustang
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Saw one in white today. Best colour I have seen on Santa cruz. My Maverick is still better. 😎
Would have to agree, I was parked in a driveway across from a Santa Cruz visiting family and it did look good in white.

Definitely not my cup of tea, especially for the rear and bed design and the Maverick just fits the part to me better for being a compact truck.
Sponsored