First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Breakout, 21 Road King Special, 22 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I learned about the SC after the Maverick. I've been able to find, sit in and test drive an SC, I haven't been able to do any of those with a Maverick. :(

I've got a Maverick under deposit with the understanding that I can cancel the order and receive a full refund if the Mavericks' cockpit is too tight/uncomfortable (I'm not tiny). The SC was comfortable to sit in and drive. I was able to comfortably sit in the back seat once the front seat was set for me, that's important for my friends. I feel the SC's bed is actually smaller than the stated measurements due to the retractable cover box (sits down into the bed far more than I imagined before I actually saw one). The SC's dash and entertainment center have some really impressive tech (even when I'm coming from a 2018 Outback Touring), especially the side cameras for when changing lanes, that would be nice to have on the Maverick, but ... the mileage is what kills it for me. I'm thinking that if the Maverick doesn't work for me, a Ridgeline might be the better second choice since it has better mileage than the SC as well as more room and comfort in general.

My two cents,
pat----
If you can fit in the SC ok then you shouldn't have an issue with fitting in a Maverick. Just look at the video, that man wasn't skinny by any sense of the word and he said he felt the Maverick was much roomier.
Sponsored

BMCGC

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
65/67 Mustang 22 Santa Cruz 23 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
So that's why when people ask me if the Maverick is cheaper than the Santa Cruz, my answer is always it depends on what features you want, and especially whether or not AWD is important as that rules out the hybrid and jacks up the price a ton.
No one has ever asked me that question.

BMCGC

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
65/67 Mustang 22 Santa Cruz 23 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
My biggest question is when will there will be a Chevy and Dodge version of the Maverick.

I have long lamented that Ford is pricing itself out of the average Joe being able to afford to buy a Ford. They finally figured it out for themselves.

atomguy245

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevrolet Bolt EUV, Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Great comparison. I do like that the Hyundai has the bumper steps and the under the bed trunk, but that built in tonneau cover really steals bed space.

I feel like the Hyundai design was compromised by the Santa Cruz concept truck and the need to cut costs and copy over so much of the Tucson design. The Ford has been purpose built as a truck. And I am not sure how confident I'd be about really using a Hyundai dual clutch transmission for towing and hauling, while the Ford is using a basic 8 speed tranny.

Sponsored

chips46

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2l 2022 ford maverick lariat lux fx4 tow 4x4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
There's a couple small things I like about the Santa Cruz....the tub storage under the bed, the little spot to step on to climb into the bed, etc..... but I think Ford has a much better price point, a standard hybrid engine, and most of all....longevity. It'll take time to see if Hyundai can get some inroads into the pickup industry. I think they would have been better off starting will a full size pickup vs a small crossover pickup or whatever they call it.
I'm sure there will be decent sales of the Santa Cruz, but Ford will dwarf those numbers in Maverick sales. The recent numbers for Maverick are much higher than the Cruz, and the Hybrids haven't even received the OKTB. I think first quarter 2022 Maverick sales numbers will be through the roof.
you may need to rethink the tub storage tub if you are going to use the Santa Cruz like a truck.. I always had to use a trailer to haul things like play sand, cement, straw, etc. my prior vehicle had such a tub. It was handy to keep the trailer hitch and tie downs for the trailer, but not much good for anything else. I always had to re enforce this area if I only needed to get a couple of bags of mulch. So my question is this.. If you can't haul things for taking care of a yard, in the back of your truck, why have a truck? You can get a nice SUV or CAR, equipped with trailer hitch and light and use a small utility trailer. I have had to do this for the past 16 years. If you are going to buy a truck, buy a truck, and avoid the work arounds you would need to do if your vehicle has a storage tub in the bottom of what should be a truck bed.
I just want to point out that you need to really think about what you are buying, and whether it will really fit the need. I feel that for most home owners the Santa Cruz would be the wrong choice. On the other hand if you live in condo or rent and only need a vehicle to get groceries the Santa Cruz would be great.

Just another thought. The Santa Cruz comes with a locking cover and tailgate. Why would you even need a tub in the bottom??

OldSoulNewMaverick

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Kia Soul
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
you may need to rethink the tub storage tub if you are going to use the Santa Cruz like a truck.. I always had to use a trailer to haul things like play sand, cement, straw, etc. my prior vehicle had such a tub. It was handy to keep the trailer hitch and tie downs for the trailer, but not much good for anything else. I always had to re enforce this area if I only needed to get a couple of bags of mulch. So my question is this.. If you can't haul things for taking care of a yard, in the back of your truck, why have a truck? You can get a nice SUV or CAR, equipped with trailer hitch and light and use a small utility trailer. I have had to do this for the past 16 years. If you are going to buy a truck, buy a truck, and avoid the work arounds you would need to do if your vehicle has a storage tub in the bottom of what should be a truck bed.
I just want to point out that you need to really think about what you are buying, and whether it will really fit the need. I feel that for most home owners the Santa Cruz would be the wrong choice. On the other hand if you live in condo or rent and only need a vehicle to get groceries the Santa Cruz would be great.

Just another thought. The Santa Cruz comes with a locking cover and tailgate. Why would you even need a tub in the bottom??
I totally hear you. This was just my perspective as a current non-truck person who can't wait for his hybrid maverick. I'm not used to having /using a pickup bed, and figure I'll only use it a few times a year. It was the hybrid engine, price, and use factor that got me hooked. If it weren't for the Maverick, I'd probably have purchased a small crossover vehicle. I'm currently driving a Kia Soul, and I've been very happy with that size/space.
So coming from that, the only thing I figure I'll miss is the hatch space. A pickup bed is nice, but I'll have to figure out something to keep all my stuff from sliding around. The "tub" feature of the Santa Cruz looks like something to help replace that for previous non-truck people. I don't think the underseat storage in the Maverick will be enough in-cabin storage for me.....especially since the hybrid doesn't get the full amount that the ecoboost does.

chips46

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2l 2022 ford maverick lariat lux fx4 tow 4x4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I totally hear you. This was just my perspective as a current non-truck person who can't wait for his hybrid maverick. I'm not used to having /using a pickup bed, and figure I'll only use it a few times a year. It was the hybrid engine, price, and use factor that got me hooked. If it weren't for the Maverick, I'd probably have purchased a small crossover vehicle. I'm currently driving a Kia Soul, and I've been very happy with that size/space.
So coming from that, the only thing I figure I'll miss is the hatch space. A pickup bed is nice, but I'll have to figure out something to keep all my stuff from sliding around. The "tub" feature of the Santa Cruz looks like something to help replace that for previous non-truck people. I don't think the underseat storage in the Maverick will be enough in-cabin storage for me.....especially since the hybrid doesn't get the full amount that the ecoboost does.
I here ya. You might think of future needs also. throw a tonnue cover on a maverick use 2x lumber and you can make all sorts of storage compartments that are secure, as the Maverick tail gate locks, locking also a tonnue cover. That what I am doing. This will also let me change bed configeration to fit the job. I have Maverick Lariet Lux, tow, FX, all wheel drive, ie. the works. Only had it for a couple weeks, would not trade. IT'S A FORD TOUGH TRUCK! Best thing I have bought in years. One of the best things I like is I have a truck that I dont need a ladder to climb up into the cab. I'm 70 now and the thought of running boards and climbing up just dont appeal anymore.

Sponsored

Vinhnguyen54

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Vinh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 F150
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
He didn't mention price. The base Santa Cruz is 4k more expensive than the base Maverick.

The Santa Cruz is a nice vehicle but based on this review I think the Maverick is a better value.

I think the Mav is only a better value when equipped with XL or XLT trim and the Hybrid engine.

Once you go all out with Lariat, FX4, 4K, Lux package, 2.0, and AWD I think the Santa is then a better buy. Edmund tested the Santa to get an average of 29MPG vs the Mav at 27MPG and on top of that you get better handling and more luxury for not much of a price diff.

Vinhnguyen54

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Vinh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 F150
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The Ford will probably still be going when the SC has been recycled.
Thats a bit bias...I have a F150 and a Mav on order so I am a Ford fan for sure but Ford Vehicles has plenty of issues of their own. My F150 has spent over 3 weeks total in the shop for some serious issues and I bought it new and had under 10K miles when the issues occurred. I still enjoy the truck but reliability wise it can't match my friends 6.2 Silverado, my Lexus IS350 nor my C7 Stingray. Hyundai's were crap before but they are very good now. My friends has new Hyundais that they put over 50K on without a single issue. 100K/10Year warranty is not bad either.

Last edited:

MLowe05

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Tesla MYP & M3RWD
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I think the Mav is only a better value when equipped with XL or XLT trim and the Hybrid engine.

Once you go all out with Lariat, FX4, 4K, Lux package, 2.0, and AWD I think the Santa is then a better buy. Edmund tested the Santa to get an average of 29MPG vs the Mav at 27MPG and on top of that you get better handling and more luxury for not much of a price diff.
I semi-agree with this. I think the Maverick is the better choice at $30k maximum. Once you cross that threshold, it's not clear anymore. For sure a loaded Maverick at $35-36k is no longer worth it over a SC. But my Lariat Hybrid with the special color and luxury package still came out under $30k and the SC doesn't really compete with that.

Vinhnguyen54

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Vinh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 F150
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
No thanks on the SC. I'm sure they'll have some happy owners but it cannot do truck things -
I semi-agree with this. I think the Maverick is the better choice at $30k maximum. Once you cross that threshold, it's not clear anymore. For sure a loaded Maverick at $35-36k is no longer worth it over a SC. But my Lariat Hybrid with the special color and luxury package still came out under $30k and the SC doesn't really compete with that.

Talking about lariat I have been regretting not getting it and the lux package. I was trying hard to keep the truck as cheap possible and now I have no clue why I did that. Darn it ... Only like 6K more for everything I wanted. Oh well...

James St. Patrick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 FORD MAVERICK Velocity Blue Ecoboost AWD
I agree, $30K is the sweet spot for the Maverick. Not sure if you can get the AWD and turbo engine for the SC at that price, like the Maverick. $36k or > places you in the reach of Ranger, Tacoma, Frontiers, and the Chevy/GMC twins.
Sponsored