Sponsored

Most Extensive Side-by-Side Santa Cruz vs Maverick Comparison to Date!

JASmith

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
A bit long at 42 mins, but they left pretty much no stone unturned comparing the Santa Cruz Limited to Maverick XLT FX4. They seem quite knowledgeable as well, even little tidbits like that the Bronco Sport hood insulator fits on the Maverick, to idiosyncrasies with the transmissions between the two, to the difference in horn volume in the vehicle between them, heh!

Sponsored

brnpttmn

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The Mav<>SC comp I want to see is base XL (or XLT) Mav hybrid vs. fully loaded SC. Give a normal person a week to drive each, and then sit down with them and go through the cost differences (including total cost of ownership) and see what they select (with the opportunity costs in mind). Car guys discussing the minutia of driving dynamics and features is fine, but I'd like to see the base value propositions of each (economy vs luxury) put to a stress test with normal buyers.

Naranjita

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
NAH-RON-EE-TAH
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I like DM a lot. But, I really wish though they would not compare a Mid level Maverick to a top of the line SC. Heck, the SC Limited is even a step above in features than even the Lariat Lux. There is no Mav Limited. Kinda wish there was.

OP
OP
JASmith

JASmith

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I like DM a lot. But, I really wish though they would not compare a Mid level Maverick to a top of the line SC. Heck, the SC Limited is even a step above in features than even the Lariat Lux. There is no Mav Limited. Kinda wish there was.
That's not really their fault though, as you get what you get.

One of the big youtubers said on his video that he begged and pleaded for a non-Limited Santa Cruz test vehicle, and Hyundai finally let up and said they simply won't offer any.

So anyone that isn't reviewing a Limited Santa Cruz got theirs from either a private owner or a generous dealership, and those aren't going to give you a week with it like a manufacturer test fleet vehicle will.

And DM is able to show us extensive reviews of both the hybrid and the FX4, having both in their fleet, which is also great. In this review they also point out that while the Santa Cruz base engine is quite low performance (and middling fuel economy) for its weight, the hybrid is not only frugal but very peppy in the Maverick.

The SC turbo has a slight edge on sportiness as we see, but who knows there are rumors of a Maverick ST that may close that gap.

Naranjita

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
NAH-RON-EE-TAH
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
That's not really their fault though, as you get what you get.

One of the big youtubers said on his video that he begged and pleaded for a non-Limited Santa Cruz test vehicle, and Hyundai finally let up and said they simply won't offer any.

So anyone that isn't reviewing a Limited Santa Cruz got theirs from either a private owner or a generous dealership, and those aren't going to give you a week with it like a manufacturer test fleet vehicle will.

And DM is able to show us extensive reviews of both the hybrid and the FX4, having both in their fleet, which is also great. In this review they also point out that while the Santa Cruz base engine is quite low performance (and middling fuel economy) for its weight, the hybrid is not only frugal but very peppy in the Maverick.

The SC turbo has a slight edge on sportiness as we see, but who knows there are rumors of a Maverick ST that may close that gap.
All good points. I'll keep wishing though.

Sponsored

Naranjita

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
NAH-RON-EE-TAH
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
They are not up on the Maverick ACC/Lane Centering system function and how good it is. Proclaiming Hyundai SC's is better. I think they are just comparing it to past Ford systems they've used. The Maverick ACC/Lane Centering is the best I've ever used to date. I've not seen DM drive a Lariat yet at all. Just XL and XLT.

I do like how they are talking back and forth simultaneously driving both. Comparing. Very good review effect.

Naranjita

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
NAH-RON-EE-TAH
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
And now that I finally finished the whole video, I love their conclusions. The whole video, you think it's going one way. But then their final assessment is the opposite. I wonder what they'd think of an actual Lariat Lux or First Edition?

Other than some minor technicalities, I find this a very good and honest assessment. They reference wanting to do the Maverick B&O sound system testing. I hope they get one. I'd love to hear their assessment. Im guessing it will be a C tier. Not even C+. I also hope they draw some comparisons once they actually get a top spec Maverick.

OP
OP
JASmith

JASmith

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
They are not up on the Maverick ACC/Lane Centering system function and how good it is.
At 18:45 he's actually right, and what I think he was trying to say is that while its not something you SHOULD be doing since its unsafe, the Hyundai has a freakishly close to auto-pilot setup where you can take your hands and eyes off the road for ages without the system even nagging you.

This is very unusual in the automotive sector, and only Tesla and Hyundai are risking the litigation with doing that AFAIK. If I remember right, it takes something like 2 minutes with no hands on the wheel before it finally gives up and starts bringing the vehicle to a stop.
Other than some minor technicalities, I find this a very good and honest assessment.
I agree, while everyone has different wants and likes, I felt like they made an effort to be as unbiased as possible. Spoiler is they both prefer the Maverick.

Naranjita

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
NAH-RON-EE-TAH
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
At 18:45 he's actually right, and what I think he was trying to say is that while its not something you SHOULD be doing since its unsafe, the Hyundai has a freakishly close to auto-pilot setup where you can take your hands and eyes off the road for ages without the system even nagging you.

This is very unusual in the automotive sector, and only Tesla and Hyundai are risking the litigation with doing that AFAIK. If I remember right, it takes something like 2 minutes with no hands on the wheel before it finally gives up and starts bringing the vehicle to a stop.
I didn't grasp that he said there are no warnings, period, in their system. I thought he was just referencing he wasn't getting a warning in this specific instance.

I've timed the Maverick auto steering. After every time it senses any resistance to the wheel, it's starts a 12 second timer. After 12 seconds the reminder warning shows in the center stack LED screen if no resistance was detected. If so, it keeps starting that timer over. No chime. It's not annoying at all. It's a nice reminder. It only chimes if it disengages the steering.

There are other times it will warn sooner. If it sees something ahead that causes the system to be confused, it checks for resistance immediately and if it doesn't sense something, it will throw up the keep hands on wheel warning. Also, sometimes my hand is on the wheel and it throws up the warning at 12 seconds because my hand is not quite providing enough resistance. That part can be annoying.

The Maverick system is probably overall safer, but the Hyundai's would be less annoying. I use my system A LOT. Even on City surface streets in rush hour. Actually, that's my favorite time. Crawling. Stop and go. It actually has made me a more attentive driver because I'm always thinking about what the system is going to do any changes I may need to make. I'm also seeing pedestrians earlier. Love it.
Sponsored