Sponsored

Proposed Purchase Contract

Roosta

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
I was given a “proposed purchase contract” from the dealer and it includes the price for the MSRP, tax, registration, licensing and fees, and the balance. The salesman said that that was the out the door price I would pay. Has anyone else had to sign something like this? Should I sign something like this? If I sign it, can they add on dealer markup fees when the truck comes in? I just don’t want to be surprised by any additional fees when I go to pick it up and pay for it.
Sponsored

MLowe05

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Tesla MYP & M3RWD
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I got something along those lines in my deal and signed it. I don't think there is any way to 100% prevent a dealer from pricing it as they want to, but this should be their way of saying you're good for this price.

atomguy245

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevrolet Bolt EUV, Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
As long as you sign it AND the dealer signs it, then you've got an official pricing contract. If they sign an itemized purchase contract with you, then that's it. It's a contract. You can have them add on there, "This vehicle will be sold at MSRP, no additional dealer markup" if you want.

The Weatherman

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Lux FX4 4K x 2
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I was given a “proposed purchase contract” from the dealer and it includes the price for the MSRP, tax, registration, licensing and fees, and the balance. The salesman said that that was the out the door price I would pay. Has anyone else had to sign something like this? Should I sign something like this? If I sign it, can they add on dealer markup fees when the truck comes in? I just don’t want to be surprised by any additional fees when I go to pick it up and pay for it.
Have you requested a definition of ‘and the balance.’

If after they explain what that represents. Go for it.

DryHeat

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
DryHeat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Patriot
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
As long as you sign it AND the dealer signs it, then you've got an official pricing contract.
Exactly...

It seems to be a thing among car salesmen to get you to sign an "offer" so that you will feel obligated to go through with the deal.

But then the dealership (usually sales manager) doesn't sign anything. So the legal status is that you have made an offer but they haven't accepted it. Not good, from my view.

Sponsored

atomguy245

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevrolet Bolt EUV, Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Exactly...

It seems to be a thing among car salesmen to get you to sign an "offer" so that you will feel obligated to go through with the deal.

But then the dealership (usually sales manager) doesn't sign anything. So the legal status is that you have made an offer but they haven't accepted it. Not good, from my view.
Yeah, a contract has to get signed by both sides

JibbersCrabst

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Focus ST, 2022 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I ordered from Chapman and was told they couldn't provide anything in writing but I know they're reputable with their 4% below invoice deal. I shouldn't be concerned should I?

DryHeat

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
DryHeat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Patriot
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I ordered from Chapman and was told they couldn't provide anything in writing but I know they're reputable with their 4% below invoice deal. I shouldn't be concerned should I?
Short answer: I don't know.

Longer answer: I've never made a deal at a dealership where they "couldn't provide anything in writing." They are in the business of selling cars, which always includes creating a signed buyer's order at some point. Under this new ordering system, I honestly didn't know how it would go. But my salesman slapped down a buyer's order and we all signed it a few minutes after we agreed on the deal. It didn't seem hard for him to do.

OP
OP

Roosta

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
Thanks everyone for the help! I was able to get the sales manager to sign the purchase contract. The balance was the out the door price. Buying the truck at MSRP, no dealer markup.

SgtLip

Banned
Banned
First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lexus ES300h Ultra Luxury
Short answer: I don't know.

Longer answer: I've never made a deal at a dealership where they "couldn't provide anything in writing." They are in the business of selling cars, which always includes creating a signed buyer's order at some point. Under this new ordering system, I honestly didn't know how it would go. But my salesman slapped down a buyer's order and we all signed it a few minutes after we agreed on the deal. It didn't seem hard for him to do.
I have three emails with a detailed breakdown of the price. I'm considering it done.

Sponsored

Bushpilot

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Volt
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
All i had on paper is the DORA. But, because I started to worry if there were going to be games, I emailed the sales rep, and asked him to confirm that they were not going to add any market adjustments or additional dealer markups. He responded that the price on the DORA plus the "doc fee" plus any extended service contracts that I opt into, will be the price of the vehicle.

Not as good as a signed contract, but I think it will work out fine.

SgtLip

Banned
Banned
First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lexus ES300h Ultra Luxury
All i had on paper is the DORA. But, because I started to worry if there were going to be games, I emailed the sales rep, and asked him to confirm that they were not going to add any market adjustments or additional dealer markups. He responded that the price on the DORA plus the "doc fee" plus any extended service contracts that I opt into, will be the price of the vehicle.

Not as good as a signed contract, but I think it will work out fine.
In a court of law an email is a form of contract. ONLY issue that I could see is the "Sales Rep" they could say does not have the authority to commit the dealership. Other issue is will that Sales Rep be there on the day your truck arrives?

Just some thoughts.

Bushpilot

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Volt
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
In a court of law an email is a form of contract. ONLY issue that I could see is the "Sales Rep" they could say does not have the authority to commit the dealership. Other issue is will that Sales Rep be there on the day your truck arrives?

Just some thoughts.
Yep, could happen, but I think there is reason to expect they will honor it. Here's hoping.

Chicora

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
PW
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy S-10
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

huunvubu

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Tim's video here states getting a "Signed Buyers Order" to protect yourself from bad dealers who are marking up custom orders when they arrive:

Sponsored