spuds_mackenzie

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Lariat Hot pepper red
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Since I sold my previous car to carvana I thought would see what they would offer on my maverick. It was a manual offer that took 5 days to get. Offer was $33k on $30.8k MSRP truck, so after taxes and fees pretty much break even offer price. Not planning on selling, but interesting to see.

When the carvana guy came to pick up my previous car he said he just got done buying a Bronco sport with 15k miles on it for $6k more than the owner paid for it a year ago.
hmmm I wonder what they would offer for my Lariat? I don't want to sale it but now I'm curious. If its a few grand more than I paid, then i'll go get another at MSRP, rinse and repeat! lol
Sponsored

Mymaverick2021

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Steveo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Here we go again. The laws passed 40-60(?) Years ago because of anti price fixing suits to prevent wholesellers from telling retailers what to charge. The retailers are free from that restriction leaving the supplier free to only suggest what to charge. The local cities for many different reasons, outcries from citizens to reduce vehicle traffic, pass zoning laws to try to control things. Ford cannot refuse to sell something to a franchisee if they charge different +/- from MSRP. Nada Ford cannot do that or someone could sue them for that difference in price.
Manufacturers suggested retail price, Your milage may very

xoXMiSsDaisieXox

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Daisie
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.livelaughandlawn.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 F150 2023 Mercedes AMG GLA 45
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
🤦🏼‍♀️🤦🏼‍♀️🤦🏼‍♀️

MattIngram

First Name
Deleteme
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Deleteme
I am still wondering why dealers are charging doc fees? Are all the information coming from our customers?
How accurate can they pass long the information to MVA or DMV?
The only legitimate fees are the ones you can verify on your state DMV’s website and/or taxing authority as applicable. The best way to buy a Ford in this market if you are not, or don’t know an employee, or retiree is Xplan, which is offered to an employee of a Ford supplier/partner, 100 shares of ford stock, or Mustang Club of America digital, or standard members only. That allows you to buy at a set price and pay a flat fee, and side step the doc fee markup. In other words a “fair” deal but that’s only if you control all other variables by selling your car elsewhere and not trade in, avoid all add on products and shop rates and get pre approved for financing before you walk in to pick up your new vehicle.

Dealerships started out with the doc fees, innocently enough, as a way to cover the cost of preparing your documents, now everything is electronic and those costs are minimal, I.e. you don’t have to pay someone to run the documents down to the dealer line at DMV. I can still remember the days it was just a notary fee. A large portion of their customers didn’t realize the fees kept going up, now $799+ until they got to the table, and/or too afraid to challenge it, or walk away for fear of being “that guy” yelling for their keys. The whole process is a hustle designed to make you love the new vehicle and uncomfortable to say anything for fear of missing out on this great deal that you just convinced yourself you are now getting. It’s just like the market adjustments, as long as people keep paying them, dealers will keep sticking them on the side of the vehicles. And that is the unfortunate truth.

James D

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volkswagon
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
You can still walk if you don't like the vehicle, the contract just protects your price in case you do end up buying. It's actually better for the dealer of you do walk, then they can mark it up & put
Just go to autotrader.com and do a search for maverick’s in your area, here in the Atlanta area there are many more than I would have though, some at MSRP, many a little above some way above! If you have to have it now, you are going to pay, lol
I think the on line ads at msrp are a way to get you to show up at the dealer. They are showing the msrp value so the ad can be partially "true". Once you see the sticker in person I bet it has $10k ADM next to it.

Sponsored

James D

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volkswagon
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
You can still walk if you don't like the vehicle, the contract just protects your price in case you do end up buying. It's actually better for the dealer of you do walk, then they can mark it up & put it in stock.
Please no one should walk from their order... In this strange world vehicles have become assets and don't depreciate 5k off the lot like they used to. Changing your mind is OK, don't let them know your thoughts. I doubt you would give a stranger the keys to your bitcoin for free. Don't give the dealer back these keys either. Even if you never left a down payment, the order is in your name so you are in control. Just don't give up that control for free.

Some alternatives:
1) You could buy or finance the Mav in your name then sell to someone else. But this creates a double sales tax and registration situation and less profit for you.
2) Assign your right to buy the truck new to someone else (sort of like selling options on stocks).
3) Tell your dealer you will let them sell the Mav off their lot as long as they split their profit with you. Just make sure whatever they agree to is in writing, including seeing the final sales contract (with private info blacked out) to keep them honest ...unless you trust car dealers of course.

Enchalada

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Eli
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Compass
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Markups are just insane to me, living in Hawaii i expect higher prices here and there but when its a common item like a car i cannot abide a huge price difference.

Luckily my local dealership took off the markup after i asked. Otherwise i would have just bought on the mainland and shipped it, adding even more time to deliver.

We are not stuck with just one dealership, order from someone else and pay a few hundred to get it shipped over to you. There are good dealerships out there, make sure they get your business.
Which dealer did you end up getting one from? I am cringing to talk numbers with Honolulu Ford..

hitchhike79

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Hybrid Maverick XLT Cactus Grey
Obviously still waiting for production and delivery, but i put my order through Windward Ford.

Specifically had no markup written on the sheet, we will see when we sit down to go over it all what they will do.

Which dealer did you end up getting one from? I am cringing to talk numbers with Honolulu Ford..

PebbleMav

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XL, Subaru Crosstrek Sport
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Just noticed this one at Mac Haik Ford in Pasadena, Texas.
Could be a pricing error, of course.

Ford Maverick Price gouging dealership TX Maverick

Darnon

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Just noticed this one at Mac Haik Ford in Pasadena, Texas.
Could be a pricing error, of course.
Well clearly they converted it to the rare Ecoboost Hybrid Edition and that ain't cheap.

Sponsored

Old Ranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee 2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Please no one should walk from their order... In this strange world vehicles have become assets and don't depreciate 5k off the lot like they used to. Changing your mind is OK, don't let them know your thoughts. I doubt you would give a stranger the keys to your bitcoin for free. Don't give the dealer back these keys either. Even if you never left a down payment, the order is in your name so you are in control. Just don't give up that control for free.

Some alternatives:
1) You could buy or finance the Mav in your name then sell to someone else. But this creates a double sales tax and registration situation and less profit for you.
2) Assign your right to buy the truck new to someone else (sort of like selling options on stocks).
3) Tell your dealer you will let them sell the Mav off their lot as long as they split their profit with you. Just make sure whatever they agree to is in writing, including seeing the final sales contract (with private info blacked out) to keep them honest ...unless you trust car dealers of course.
you keep posting this same "advice" and I'm wondering if you actually did any of these things yourself? Seems like your entire perspective on buying a vehicle is sticking it to the evil dealer any way you can even if you don't buy anything from them? Simply having an order does not = being "in control". I think if you dig a little deeper you will find there is an expiration date on your order so your dealer isn't twisting in the wind forever while you play games with them with no intention of completing a sale based on that order. You think they don't have any "outs" built into this process?

As to your Alternatives: #1 is a whole lot of work, time and hassle for basically nothing. Why bother? If you want the truck like most of us here, buy it. If not cancel the order. At my age 63, life is too short for games and I won't get any of my wasted time back on this. Time has more value than a few extra $ here and there.

#2 I'll bet the dealer doesn't have to go along with that scenario and would be in a legal position to cancel your order and tell you to pound sand and get a lawyer if you don't like it.

#3 sounds an awful lot like extortion. Won't happen, no way no how. Dealer doesn't owe you a damn thing, you got no skin in the game, and again they would be in a legal position to cancel your order and tell you to pound sand and get a lawyer if you don't like it.

Of course I could be wrong, but common sense says otherwise here. :unsure:

James D

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volkswagon
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
you keep posting this same "advice" and I'm wondering if you actually did any of these things yourself? Seems like your entire perspective on buying a vehicle is sticking it to the evil dealer any way you can even if you don't buy anything from them? Simply having an order does not = being "in control". I think if you dig a little deeper you will find there is an expiration date on your order so your dealer isn't twisting in the wind forever while you play games with them with no intention of completing a sale based on that order. You think they don't have any "outs" built into this process?

As to your Alternatives: #1 is a whole lot of work, time and hassle for basically nothing. Why bother? If you want the truck like most of us here, buy it. If not cancel the order. At my age 63, life is too short for games and I won't get any of my wasted time back on this. Time has more value than a few extra $ here and there.

#2 I'll bet the dealer doesn't have to go along with that scenario and would be in a legal position to cancel your order and tell you to pound sand and get a lawyer if you don't like it.

#3 sounds an awful lot like extortion. Won't happen, no way no how. Dealer doesn't owe you a damn thing, you got no skin in the game, and again they would be in a legal position to cancel your order and tell you to pound sand and get a lawyer if you don't like it.

Of course I could be wrong, but common sense says otherwise here. :unsure:
These suggestions do not stick it to the dealer, no matter what they are going to make money selling the truck, either to you or someone else.

Keep in mind the title of this thread is about dealers who price gouge and stick it to the consumer.

Not sure what the problem is about a Mav buyer selling the truck to someone else instead of the dealer, people sell cars directly to family members and private parties all the time. Giving back 5-10k in value to the dealer for free is like you giving me some gold bullion for free. Walk away, its up to you of course.

Last edited:

Old Ranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
These suggestions do not stick it to the dealer, no matter what they are going to make money selling the truck, either to you or someone else.

Keep in mind the title of this thread is about dealers who price gouge and stick it to the consumer.

Not sure what the problem is about a Mav buyer selling the truck to someone else instead of the dealer, people sell cars directly to family members and private parties all the time. Giving back 5-10k in value to the dealer for free is like you giving me some gold bullion for free. Walk away, its up to you of course.
Sure, 100% agree with you on this part: " 1) You could buy or finance the Mav in your name then sell to someone else. But this creates a double sales tax and registration situation and less profit for you "

That assumes someone besides the dealer actually OWNS the truck already, and they can certainly do whatever they want with it at that point. It's the other 2 alternatives where you are trying to pretend you have leverage to exert over the dealer and make some $ you aren't entitled to without ownership.

Telling people not to walk away, not give keys back, and not "give back" 5-10k in value is what sounds shady and not realistic. If you merely ordered a vehicle, then chose not to complete the sales contract and pay for the vehicle specified on the order- you got nothing to bargain with and dealer can do what they want with truck at that point as you have no say in how they dispose of it- even if they add ADM that you think you should share in somehow for doing nothing. Correct me if I'm misreading your posted options somehow.

Yes, the thread was about shady dealers, but it seemed more geared towards calling out proven gouging specific dealers did more than a general complaint rant against all dealers. I could be wrong.

James D

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volkswagon
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Sure, 100% agree with you on this part: " 1) You could buy or finance the Mav in your name then sell to someone else. But this creates a double sales tax and registration situation and less profit for you "

That assumes someone besides the dealer actually OWNS the truck already, and they can certainly do whatever they want with it at that point. It's the other 2 alternatives where you are trying to pretend you have leverage to exert over the dealer and make some $ you aren't entitled to without ownership.

Telling people not to walk away, not give keys back, and not "give back" 5-10k in value is what sounds shady and not realistic. If you merely ordered a vehicle, then chose not to complete the sales contract and pay for the vehicle specified on the order- you got nothing to bargain with and dealer can do what they want with truck at that point as you have no say in how they dispose of it- even if they add ADM that you think you should share in somehow for doing nothing. Correct me if I'm misreading your posted options somehow.

Yes, the thread was about shady dealers, but it seemed more geared towards calling out proven gouging specific dealers did more than a general complaint rant against all dealers. I could be wrong.
Saying it is shady to not give away the profit in the Mav you control for free now that hybrids are sold out, is like saying it is shady for someone to keep $5k profit on a stock you control. Double tax occurs whenever cars are resold whether you keep it one month or 5 years.

Old Ranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Saying it is shady to not give away the profit in the Mav you control for free now that hybrids are sold out, is like saying it is shady for someone to keep $5k profit on a stock you control. Double tax occurs whenever cars are resold whether you keep it one month or 5 years.
IMO, there is a fundamantal flaw in your thinking about who exactly has "control" of said Maverick in this discussion. Unless you are talking about completing a signed sales contract and meeting your obligations like paying for your Maverick - you got nothing. No free control, no profit to "give away" or attempt to recover, or any say whatsoever on what the dealer does with it or how much they charge. At this point not even sure what point you are trying to make as you keep adding in unrelated stuff to what an ORDER alone entitles you to.
Sponsored